That old [Leakage] thread

sunfire

Newly Enlightened
Hi!
I've seen this thread here before (10 years ago). Maybe you guys have some fresh news about it.
I need some lights ready to go. So I keep the batteries on board.
I check the lights from time to time to see if there's leakage.
Is there a real risk of battery leakage? :candle::confused:

The lights are:
Inova X1 -1AA alkaline
Minimag LED - 2AA rcr
Fenix E05 - 1AAA rcr

I'd like to keep my G2-M60LL (CR123A primaries) ready to go, but I'm afraid of.

Thanks! lovecpf

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
YES! there is ALWAYS a risk of battery leakage if you are using alkaline or heavy duty batteries even if the batteries are brand new. Personally I would not leave alkalines in devices that you either are not going to use in the next month or so or anything that is expensive to replace as one leak could render a $30+ device flakey or useless or require work to clean up the mess and remove the corrosion caused by the battery guts spilling out.

sunfire

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Lynx Arc. :)
The big problem is the Inova X1. I keep it in my work. It's a true emergency light. So I don't want rcrs.
Is lithium primary the best option for that light?

Last edited:

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Thanks Lynx Arc. :)
The big problem is the Inova X1. I keep it in my work. It's a true emergency light. So I don't want rcrs.
Is lithium primary the best option for that light?

In my opinion, a lithium primary is the best option for ANY emergency light.

Cheers,
BG

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
In my opinion, a lithium primary is the best option for ANY emergency light.

Cheers,
BG

+1, with LSD nimh that is checked every 6 months in second place. If I was to invest in alkalines I would keep them separate from devices and only install them when in use, removing them after the emergency was over to put in a device to drain them or daily use device that I could monitor for leaks.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lights are:
Inova X1 -1AA alkaline
Minimag LED - 2AA rcr
Fenix E05 - 1AAA rcr

Thanks! lovecpf

What does the OP mean by "rcr"? In general we here at CPF use "rCR" specifiacally to refer to LiIon CR123 size (16340) batteries.

If he is just talking about Nimh rechrgables, then he should use eneloops. They are great even if you only recharge them once a year or after use. If he is talking about liIon cells than neither the minimag or Eo5 is rated for that much voltage.

For true emergency lights or lights stored in harsh conditions like a car. Then Energizer Advanged or Ultimate Lithium L91 or L92 is the way to go.

sunfire

Newly Enlightened
What does the OP mean by "rcr"? In general we here at CPF use "rCR" specifiacally to refer to LiIon CR123 size (16340) batteries.

If he is just talking about Nimh rechrgables, then he should use eneloops. They are great even if you only recharge them once a year or after use. If he is talking about liIon cells than neither the minimag or Eo5 is rated for that much voltage.

For true emergency lights or lights stored in harsh conditions like a car. Then Energizer Advanged or Ultimate Lithium L91 or L92 is the way to go.

I mean Sony rechargeables. :D They work like the eneloops.
I'll try the Energizer L-91 Lithium! :thumbsup:
CORRECTION!
Due to high cost of lithium shipping, I bought pre-charged nimhs for the Inova too, at local store.
At home I have a Surefire G2 w/ M60LL and a case full of primaries, so I'm safe there.:sleepy:

Thanks! :)

Last edited: