Thats IT, I MUST have a POWERFUL UV Light !!!

jtice

Flashaholic
I like to experiment with UV alot, and find it very interesting to use ouutside, and especially in caves.

I have a UV X5t, and while it does pretty good, I want something MUCH more powerful.

I figure to save $$$ i will have to build something,

Unit must be no larger than about 2"x3"x4" (or maybe a mag type shape) ,, but I dont know if I can pack enough into that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Off the top of my head, I am thinking 6 to 8AAs, or 2Ds, in somethign like a small pelican case, with an array of ,,,, ALOT of 5mm UV leds. and a Fatman driver.

Any recommendations? Can you think of a better solution? Or a good source for UV leds???

I know theres that one,,, 6W i think it was,, UV led that Gizmo and a couple others used, but its $120 just for the led /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I dont think I will use this THAT much, to justify that.

Thanks for the help,
hope to get this made soon, and get some good pics using it for you guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

~John

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure you saw the thread Pitbull did right...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=868714
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=869276

Would the accessory pack and filter get you part way there? I know next to nothing about what emitters emitt how much UV but I think this might be a step in the right direction.

I was actually looking for something similar shortly before he posted his mod. Just seemed the best/easiest/cheapest way would be to have some sort of filter to go infront of whatever lightsource you had in a MAG.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want small and pocketable, then I suggest the Nightcutter 5CSI UV (375nm) but at the moment, they are waiting for a shipment of the LEDs to come in from Japan.

If you want one the size of the 2D Mag and SUPERPOWERFUL...check out this cool site.

jtice

Flashaholic
Pockettable isnt a big deal, I want POWERFUL, so I am willing to get it fairly large.
A small pelican case mod is about the right size, I think I can pack that in to the caves better.

Ive seen similar things, and thought about making one, as you linked to.
And their prices are insane btw.

If I could find a good source for some UV leds I would be set /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've got a couple of shortwave UV lamps for mineral hunting. They're great for finding fluorescent specimens but they don't have much throw at all. The longwave UV flashlights I have are good for more throw, but they only activate a small fraction of the fluorescent minerals out there. And the dual-wavelength UVP that I have is pretty heavy and difficult to wave around in awkward places while rock hunting. But I think it's gonna be awhile before there's a comparable LED-based dual-wavelength unit that has some throw. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spoke to them in various emails. They were very prompt and were quick to answer my questions.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
So... were you able to find a place from which to buy the LEDs at a semi-reasonable price?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
cratz2 said:
The Roithner website lists UV LEDs ranging from 350nm to 395nm.

http://www.roithner-laser.com/LED_diverse.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I checked there and the 350nm UVs are rated in microwatts, not milliwatts, and the shortest wavelength they have that gets into the milliwatt range is a 365nm LED, and that's only 1.4mw. And that's the same wavelength as a longwave UV fluorescent tube.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDs are designed for hardiness and transportability. Nothing beats the fluorescent tubes for cost and ability that I know of.

paulr

Flashaholic
Jtice, if you want a powerful UV light, I think you still have to give up an LED's and use UV fluorescent tubes as some have mentioned. I'd say check on ebay for suitable complete units.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
I like to experiment with UV alot, and find it very interesting to use ouutside, and especially in caves.

I have a UV X5t, and while it does pretty good, I want something MUCH more powerful.
~John

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, but why do you want one of these for caves?
What can you see with UV? Tell us more!!!
(makes mental note to bring X5T UV on next caving trip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif)

jtice

Flashaholic
Dont expect alot to glow in caves, or in the woods while hiking.
But, some stuff does and its fun to find it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I havent tried much in caves, due to the X5T being alittle too dim, you basically have to be right opn top of something.
I want to just flood the room with UV /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Certain deposites in the rocks etc glow alittle.
And I think some fungi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I looked on ebay, all I saw were a couple handheld UV lights that used a UV flourecent bulb, about 6" of so, but they look alot like they are just "black lights". Plus, I think I would break that during caving /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thats why I was thinking LEDS, smaller package, very durable.

The Inretech ones look fairly nice, and I am sure they are brighter than my X5T, but, I doubt by much. Maybe 4 times?
Im wanting at least 10 times the X5T output /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps a Florecent Thor, with a UV bulb instead of the white one? Might give you enough throw or push to make it go farther...

I was thinking about getting those 395-400nm 100 5mm UV leds off of ebay from hongkong and building a 10x10 (100leds) array, DD off of some NiMH. That'd be pretty bright!

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you want bright ambient light or bright fluorescing light? Best not to look for it in one flashlight. Bring a low wavelength light and a regular light (of course you dont shine them in the same spot).

jtice

Flashaholic
I dont want much visable light at all, this is to make things glow, not see by. I have other lights for that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

heh, a Thor in a cave,,, ah, NO, lol, these are tight squeezes.

I was also thinking of getting the 100 UV leds off ebay, I am sure they are not that good, and put out alot of visable violet light thgouh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you use 370 or less true rated LEDs, you wont have to worry about much visible light. I get my NightCutter 5CSI on Thursday. I'll take some beamshots so you can see what 375nm LEDs perform.