The 2015 Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Cast Your Vote!

tops2

Enlightened
#1# Zebralight : SC5w
#2# Thrunite : TN12 : 2014

1. My primary EDC since I received it last week. To me, perfect tint and all arounder for use outside and inside. I love the UI (after learning it), the spread of levels, and the customization of the sublevels (letting me select from 6 levels fairly quickly).
2. My first 18650 light. Lets me see as fur as I want. For outside use when I want longer throw, I use this light. The light is pretty floody too.

Last edited:

Archangel72

Newly Enlightened
Come on people, cast your vote! :) There is a such a small amount of votes in here, and the end of the 2015 is coming.

Yeah this thread is dead compared to 2013 12 pages of posts and 2014 7 pages of posts...

kinda bummed being new to the board I was really hoping to see a good turn out this year as this was my 1st year participating in it.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
#1# Thrunite: Archer 1A : V2 Neutral White
#2# Thrunite: TiS : Neutral White
#3# Rayovac Indestructible : 2AA

#1....It does everything I would want a light to do, has all the features I like.
#2....It is small enough to EDC in any situation and go unnoticed.
#3....Takes a beating, comes back for more.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
#1 Zebralight: SC5w

#2 Sure host: 6P, C2, whatever. Malkoff drop-in. You pick!

#3 Fenix: HL50

#4 Fenix: E01

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
#1# BLF Special Edition : A6
#2# Brinyte : B158
#3# L3 Illumination : L11C : Nichia 219B
#4# Nitecore : P36
#5# ZebraLight : SC62 : w

The foregoing list is in alphabetical order. In random order, here are some comments.

ZebraLight SC62w
Of all the flashlights on my list, the SC62w is the easiest choice to defend. It combines superlative design with engineering excellence.

Brinyte B158
Going to the other extreme, the B158 is probably the most difficult choice to defend. I include this budget flashlight, however, because I have discovered that I prefer the broad beam of a zooming flashlight—set to flood—for most indoor uses. Compared to the follow-the-dot hot spot of a reflector, the unfocused beam of a zoomie is superior for showing the way down a hallway or down a flight of stairs. In a large space, it does even better.

As the B158 is the best of the two zoomies I own, it gets my pick. It features a large 50mm aspheric lens that produces a generous, floody beam. Focused for throw, it delivers 52,000 candela, reaching out to 450 meters. Not too shabby.

As is the case with most zoomies, the B158 shows some rings when focused for throw. Its unfocused flood beam is perfect, except for some chromatic aberrations at the outer edge.

Modders will love the B158. It uses a removable pill design that makes the job easy. Brinyte sells a bare brass pill to which you can add the emitter and driver of your choice. Brinyte also sells its own finished red and green pills that use colored Cree XP-E emitters.

L3 Illumination L11C Nichia 219B
This one gets daily use as my EDC. I like to carry it discreetly in the bottom of my pants pocket, so the small size of AA is important. At 0.09, 3, 30, and 140 lumens, mode spacing is near perfect. I bought this light because of its mid-level price and high-CRI Nichia emitter. In case I need more power, I also carry an 18650 flashlight in my daypack.

Nitecore P36
The excellent Cree MT-G2 emitter is just one of the things that makes the P36 stand out. The P36 drives the MT-G2 at 10 different output levels, ranging between 2 and 2000 lumens. It uses a unique mode dial, similar in size to the mode dial on a camera, to select output levels. The 5000K emitter produces a beam with a wide hot spot and bright spill. I cannot see any hint of the green and purple that show up, respectively, in the corona and spill of an XM-L2 or XP-L.

The 2x18650 format makes for a flashlight that is comfortable to carry, and which easily fits in a coat pocket.

BLF Special Edition A6
The BLF A6 is a custom flashlight designed by members of BudgetLightForum. This 1x18650 tube light is a burner, using a FET+1 driver to supply as much current to the emitter as its battery can supply. Running the stock (i.e., unmodded) A6 on a high draw battery, it is easy to get 1200 lumens. A spring-bypass will typically get you 200-300 more. Some owners have measured 1600 lumens.

The user interface and firmware are outstanding. The A6 uses regular half-presses to get brighter, and longer half-presses to get dimmer. This simple UI makes for easy access to the seven constant-brightness levels of the A6.

Note
I am still without a headlamp. Right now, the ZebraLight H600Fd Mk. III is my top candidate. When I get one, it will no doubt make this list. I am expecting any day to receive the Olight S1 Copper (Rose Gold). If it were already in my possession, it would also be on this list. Most likely, it would bump the Brinyte B158. The Olight S1 uses a TIR optic that produces a wide beam that should be good for the indoor uses I currently assign to the B158.

Honorable Mention
Five votes is not enough! Given more, I would include the Nitecore Tube and the BLF 348.

Last edited:

Jiri

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore P36
The excellent Cree MT-G2 emitter is just one of the things that makes the P36 stand out. The P36 drives the MT-G2 at 10 different output levels, ranging between 2 and 2000 lumens. It uses a unique mode dial, similar in size to the mode dial on a camera, to select output levels. The 5000K emitter produces a beam with a wide hot spot and bright spill. I cannot see any hint of the green and purple that show up, respectively, in the corona and spill of an XM-L2 or XP-L.

The 2x18650 format makes for a flashlight that is comfortable to carry, and which easily fits in a coat pocket.

Thanks for your comment about P36. I completely agree with you! :) I love this light! NiteCore Tube become great gift this Christmas. After they found out it is USB recharchable, there was a big "wow" effect. :) till then they just thought it is an ordinary keychain light.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's never too soon!

Over in one of the ZebraLight threads, a couple of folks are bragging—or should I say confessing?— that earlier today they ordered their first two flashlights of the year!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I vowed no more until ground hog day, but pulled the trigger on 4 (more) nip 6p's by noon on the 1st.
I figured it's time to get 'em before they're gone.

That's be 10 total in the last 30 days.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It's never too soon!

Over in one of the ZebraLight threads, a couple of folks are bragging—or should I say confessing?— that earlier today they ordered their first two flashlights of the year!

I didn't make it to noon on Jan 1 before buying a SureFire 6P...being they were just over $28 at one sight and word had gotten out I jumped before they were gone.

Since then I've been kinda good, mostly fixing up a few old lights.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I reiterate the zebralight sc62w. It may be the last version that allows protected li ion batteries.

Screwball69N

Newly Enlightened
1. NITECORE P12GT AWSOME EDC
2. ZEBRALIGHT SC600 III XHP35 COOL WHITE
3. NITECORE MH27
4. ARMYTEK DOBERMANN PRO XP-L HI
5. ARMYTEK PREDATOR PRO XP-L HI V3

I like thowers and the P12 you will love you cant go wrong with this light and also the MH27 I swear it out thows both my Armyteks and I think that the Dobermann out throws the Predator go figure I like Armytek buy I think there specs are a little off