The 250+ Lumen Challenge

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm nothing if not committed. (or committable!)

I'm glad LED's don't output much UV, or my fingers would be sunburnt from covering the light in a futile attempt to block some of the output!

TwitchALot

Enlightened
Finally, a challenge I can participate in! Maelstrom G5 (V1) for me. This is going to be a doozy...

^^Nova^^

Enlightened
Well, there are a few incans around here that qualify, ROP Lo and Hi, Mag61 (regulated), P91, Lumens Factory EO-9 (and EO-9L) but I won't be trying to cover them with my hands to cut the light down, may have to switch the either Dave's Linger Special or SST-50 D36 drop-in in FM D36 1x18650 body. So many choices...

This is going top be fun.

Cheers,
Nova

Knuckles

Newly Enlightened
No big deal. For 4 months I carried a SureFire Z2 with a Thrunite single-mode XM-L drop-in. I just cup my hand over part of the bezel to reduce the output.

mat_the_cat

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm, I have a choice between a 6D Mag ROP, or a Cluson Smartlite...

I think I will go for the latter, as I'm guessing it will be less familiar to most of you non UK residents. Not sure of the lumens output, but it's 50w so should be 'enough' :laughing:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had a power failure at home last night, but with plenty of lights and batteries... well, check it out here. This deserved a thread of its own.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Starting the new challenge tomorrow. I think I'll stick with my Malkoff in my SF 6P.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will start tmw. I will just use my M60 with VME head on my E1E body. For run time, I will use my U2 18650 body with LU60 adapter and Kerberos Triple.

Edit, I see that I can only use one light. So VME/M60/E1E it shall be.

Last edited:

CSSA

Newly Enlightened
Small, EDC capable, and 250+ Lumens = RRT-0. The problems are: 1) no night vision after use inside; and 2) insufficient power outside to spot and identify carnivors at 100 yds...

sjmack

Newly Enlightened
Well, guess I am going to be going to work with a Jetbeam M1X from here on out...

mat_the_cat

Newly Enlightened
So this is what I've been using - can I keep it up for a whole week? I'm less worried about what my wife will say, more the looks I will get carrying it around in broad daylight! Is it cheating to carry it in a bag?

Photo0135.jpg

Photo0133.jpg

tolkaze

Enlightened
Okay, a look through the inventory of lights, I have a dozen below 250 Lumens, and about 5 or 6 above 700 lumens with 3 of them over 1000... Seriously, I have nothing with a maximum between 250 and 700? I think this requires a new purchase.

Until then, i'm choosing my 9P equipped tripple. Only max, but is floody. Tried all day to use nothing but this light, but killed the first set of batteries really quickly, its hard to reduce output without melting/burning things... and I really wanna carry my D11.2 that just arrived

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since it's the weekend, I'm going to shoot for the moon. Instead of the Triple XP-G I've been using, I'm going to step up to a Triple XM-L. It's 2800 lumens on high, 4000 lumens on "Nuke Mode". I can only use nuke for 20 seconds at a time though.

How many bonus points does that get me?

carrot

Flashaholic
Okay, a look through the inventory of lights, I have a dozen below 250 Lumens, and about 5 or 6 above 700 lumens with 3 of them over 1000... Seriously, I have nothing with a maximum between 250 and 700? I think this requires a new purchase.

Totally acceptable to run a 700+ lumen light for this challenge!

carrot

Flashaholic
Since it's the weekend, I'm going to shoot for the moon. Instead of the Triple XP-G I've been using, I'm going to step up to a Triple XM-L. It's 2800 lumens on high, 4000 lumens on "Nuke Mode". I can only use nuke for 20 seconds at a time though.

How many bonus points does that get me?

3750 points!

Anyway, I had a good laugh at some of the posts in this thread as this may have had some of the silliest responses yet. I did an overnight backpacking trip and left my G5 sitting on my desk :ohgeez: so I'm going to have to catch up on those missed days.

nbp, you're going to need to take the challenge at some point... that triple is just begging to see some challenge action!

nbp

Flashaholic
nbp, you're going to need to take the challenge at some point... that triple is just begging to see some challenge action!

Hehe, I know, I know. Especially since I failed so miserably at the Incan challenge. :oops:

I'll will try it though, maybe this coming week. Now, how to fit an orange-red C2 in dress pants without looking funny... :thinking:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
im in, I actually already swtiched to edcing my C2 eariler tonight.

my high cri clicky is well deserving of a 1 week vacation too.

never really carried my C2 since getting my NB XM-L 3000k, itll be a nice challenge

EDIT: Failed after only 2 nights...
500 lumens is just too much light, had to cycle to low mode. LoL

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
So this is what I've been using - can I keep it up for a whole week? I'm less worried about what my wife will say, more the looks I will get carrying it around in broad daylight! Is it cheating to carry it in a bag?

Hmmm ... I'd like to see someone carry that with a shoulder strap and go in and out of stores in broad daylight with it, and then use it to check prices and point out alleys when asking where to find a product ("there? it's in that alley there?") Do you have a friend who could follow you around with a camera? Just kidding, but that would be funny... it would probably feel more like losing a bet than a challenge, though.