The 250+ Lumen Challenge

TwitchALot

Enlightened
Thankfully, I completed this challenge without any serious hitch. Short of some runtime tests and occasional teaching sessions (showing people I bought lights how to use them - but not for actual lighting needs on my end), I didn't have any major violations. Thankfully, I didn't need the light in the middle of the night or anything like that. Had the challenge gone another day for me, though, and it would have been over. Today I broke a ton of glass in the kitchen and was using my High CRI modded Quark AA to spot any stray fragments of glass - a serious safety issue and one I preferred the warmer color temperature for.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
The challenge wasnt that difficult. staying at 250 lumens was better for my eyes at night. But I found myself just not using the light as much.

Cataract: great suggestions. Some of those could be just boiled down to the 5mm challenge. Although I love colored light only and the headlamp one.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Another challenge completed.

This would have been easier if my light during the past week had not been something pumping out closer to 500 lumens than 250 out the front. My default EDC light is a Milky-modded black KL1 on a black E2E body with E2D tailcap pumping out over 200 lumens, but shy of 250.

Oh well. Still, completed.

Right before completing the challenge, I found my old two-tone 2AAA Mini-M@glite. Seems I accidentally left the alkies in it the last time I used it. (Several months ago.) Thankfully, they didn't leak. How about a Penlight challenge? Just an idea. BTW, I modded mine with the TerraLux LED upgrade for it. Not much of an improvement. But much better than stock. Stock was literally 1 lumen.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
This week's challenge is to carry your 250+ lumens light. Any light over 250 lumens will do. Bonus points for significantly higher lumens. 500, 1000, 2000 lumens are all acceptable for this challenge.

Incandescent, LED, HID, doesn't matter.

The rules: this is now the only light you can use the whole week, and that you may only use the maximum output level on that light.

Unlike some of the other challenges, you may not switch lights on a whim, however, if you really must, you may switch to a different light every 24 hours (a new day, a new light) that meets the criteria.

You may come up with creative solutions to reduce the output but do not use anything but the maximum output setting! Also take care not to burn your house down.

As usual, post pictures of the light you are participating in the challenge with and post your experiences.

I'm in...

After the incan challenge...

ProTac HL 4, Malkoff'd Mag

320 M61 and 280 M31...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Call it what you will WW, but member Carrot threw out the gauntlet with this and other challenges some time ago. It seemed to be fun to members back then. Hopefully a few folks will find it fun in 016.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Call it what you will WW, but member Carrot threw out the gauntlet with this and other challenges some time ago. It seemed to be fun to members back then. Hopefully a few folks will find it fun in 016.

I like seeing long dead threads cuz it shows me how things changed over the years. Speaking of seeing I haven't seen Carrot around much or maybe just missed his posts.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
You mention things changed....
When I first saw this my thought was "pft, that's easy."
But then I pondered what tech was like when this was made and thought "if Carrot came back today and did this he may have used the number 500, 600 or more." Back then 250 lumens was huge!!!

But even at 250 there'll be times such as 2am nature calls or perhaps laying under a sink using your light 4" from your face while lighting a crevice that you dropped something into...
And can only use 1 of your lights that puts out at least 250 lumens? For the entire week?
He did say it has to be for at least 24 hours.

Not gonna be quite as easy as it may seem.

I'm going to use a PK-PR1 or an MD2.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
My regular EDC is a Manker T01 running a 14500 IMR. That would be right around 900 emitter lumens and 20K lux. Even on a eneloop you still get 500L. The light is only 3.3 inches long. Years ago I remember reading about a particular guy on here pulling out a pocketable 250 lumen light and that being sort of a wow light. I don't really consider the Manker a wow light, but it is quite bright and throwy for it's size, probably the most so at this point in time.
I like seeing older threads come up as well. Amazing to see how things have changed in as little as 5 yrs.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
I remember when I bought my first non MAG light...a Surefire 6p and E1e. The 6P had all of60 something lumens if I member correctly (and I'm pretty sure I do), and was touted as a great defensive edc light that could blind attackers. I have to admit I was very impressed by the wide, artifact free beam compared to the Mag's. Nowadays most things that I read lead people to believe that they need multiple hundreds of lumens to qualify their light as "tactical", and that anything less is somehow too dim. I'm still of the mind that60 lumens isn't too shabby,but I do agree that lights have changed a lot since then (early 2000s).

Last edited:

Dingle1911

Enlightened
It was interesting reading back through this thread. I often carry small lights capable of 1000+ lumens, but I rarely use that many lumens. Thanks to multi-mode lights I only use between 1% and 25% of what the flashlight is actually capable of emitting. I think this is why the McGizmo is such a classic, well spaced modes with reliability.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
After a few days of recovering from the incan challenge....(read use any light I wanted) I'll begin the 250 challenge with an old faithful friend that has been collecting dust as a display the last few months.

My old friend the Coast HP7R.

It was about a year ago I acquired this 251 lumen light. Maybe not quite a year. But it began my quest for better.

So I'll begin with the 2nd Coast HP7 that started my collecting of flashlights.
My wife procured the one that started it...the titanium colored HP7 from Lowes.
I miss that red ring'd battery powered sunshine.

Sunday morning edit:
I cheated yesterday...twice.
First time I used an 80 lumen light for a beam shot for a thread about it.

Next was I used a modified 2C mag to light up yards near me and turn off a porch light. I had recently acquired a pre-built ROP mag with free flowing innerds before throwing down the 250 gauntlet of using the same light for 24 hours.
The day it arrived I had used 4x123 primaries and they got so warm so fast I feared it was a lithium based hand gernade and went online to purchase cells that could handle the load.

They arrived yesterday. Man, I just had to use it.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Ended up using this little ole pocket warmer all week.
These challenges make ya appreciate multi lights and/or multi levels. But I made do.

On a few occasions where not much light was needed there was a bit of concern that my chosen mega diffuser (toilet paper) may actually catch fire. Once or twice I used a toilet paper roll to act as a barrel of sorts to cast light in a snoot fashion, them aim the snooted beam away from what needed lighting.
It was fun, but I prefer a lot less than 250 lumens about 90% of the time for my typical daily use.