The 30" Night Hawk

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I apologize, but one of my photo hosts has unreliable and unstable links, (Facebook based), and this caused a large amount of my photos to vanish over he last few days. Apologize, but with all the photos I posted I'm not able to update all them do to a variety reasons, mostly time.

Last edited:

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not an issue with the CPF website. I see your images are hosted at scontent-a-pao.xx.fbcdn.net, so you will need to check with them or upload the images to another host and update the links in your posts to the URLs for the images at the new host.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Testing out the and nearing completion of the 4,000 watt upgrade to the Gorilla.

This Gorilla conversion is similar to the upgrade going on with the Nighthawk to make it all weather ready with it's new glass lens top and yoke system.

With the massive amount of heat produced by the 4,000 watt HMI bulb, I had to use three cooling fans with a forth passive forced exhaust vent mounted directly over the intense light-bulb, integrated with the split back reflector..! I've had to upgrade my, still home-made, ignition system directly into the fiberglass shell to make all the components weather resistant to allow searchlight operation in rain, sleet, light hail, snow with little or no winds, or fair to light winds with no precipitation, all possible to operate the searchlight in. I have to work on the ballast and generator being more weather resistant now... This is going to fit on the roof of my car now. Maybe I can transport the Monster with my near homemade roof rack that's better than the one I purchased.

Will upgrade to a better photo system soon.:D:eek:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Learned a lot building the 30 inch NightHawk and building the weatherproof version next to the 36 inch Gorilla about to be fired up...

This is kind of my final masterpiece for a little while. I've combined all the elements of the searchlights and created this light. Hopefully it works well. Do wish I had a pick-up truck to make transporting and show casing the light easier. Maybe if I get a few sales for rentals I'll get an old clunker.

Getting ready for a testing. The focusing is accomplished with a delta plate for three dimensional adjustments. I'll add vent hoods and other weather proofing soon. I have a tempered glass front lens and a plexiglass front lens for when I need the searchlight to be lighter in weight. The cooling fans provide more than adequate air to keep things cool under 100 degrees on an 80 degree night. I was surprised by how well the bath fans work at only $15.00 Home Depot.

Click here to view the original image of 953x1024px.
17110852210_576ab64840_b.jpg

Ready to test after some basic adjustments. Gorilla searchlight now outfitted with 4k watt HMI
The 36 inch Gorilla has been outfitted to operate in inclement weather, a four thousand watt HMI lamp producing over 385,000 lumen light output.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
This whole basic enclosure and look came from the NightHawk searchlight, so I just thought a few pics would be nice.

Here's the new 36 inch Gorilla reconditioned into the 4 Kwatt beast it is now. Want to test this at night, but the touchy situation with a neighbor having a fight with her boyfriend means I'll probably have to pack this like sardines into my car and find a parking lot somewhere and not get into too much trouble...lol.
16689164923_323e337bef_h.jpg

The horizontal bars are from the magnetic ballast lag wave.

Plastic lens works well under the heat, but I wasn't cooling the back reflector enough so it tarnished unevenly into a deep golden color. Will have to work on that, add maybe a forth fan just for cooling some of those critical components, or decide it works well enough for now and make improvements along the way...it's already way super bright..!

Getting an idea of the beam

Forms a nice tight beam for several hundred feet, but I wasn't able to shine it way out, for fear of disturbing people....I'm going to have to work on this.

17307575682_5bcbed8dd4_h.jpg
Looks like daylight.

Here's how it looks sitting outside my humble garage / shop.

17121856980_d5a99a10b7_h.jpg

Looking forward to testing this beauty at night soon. I have a hundred foot extension chord made just for the output from the ballast.
:cool:

Onestep

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried your local police station? Just go in and ask if you can run it in their parking lot. Who is going to call and complain then?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try and find an outdoor shooting range with the 2k yd range for long rifles. They will always have a nice berm/backstop to stop and misses that will work well for not zapping any neighbors as well. They may even have some shooters who would want to try their aim with such illumination! Sounds like fun to me.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I would love to start getting this thing toted around a bit. Need to make a few focusing adjustments and a newer back split reflector and adjust the cooling air flow. I managed to do a ten minute test when some of the "sensitive" neighbors were gone or busy doing stuff deep inside their homes.

With the performance of the Gorilla adequate, but not as well focused as the Monster will be, with a longer focal length, will make a more collimated beam, though it may not be quite as bright, as it gathers less light by design to get it's incredible focal length.
Had everything set up and by chance many neighbors weren't home and others were up past their bedtime, so I took a quick ten minutes and fired up this bad boy and took some night shots. Beam isn't as well collimated as I wanted, still needs some focus fine tuning, but it still makes a very impressive beam that can be seen for many miles and draws quite the crowd.:grin2:

Click here to view the original image of 1600x1055px.
16765495764_a3434d6ac3_h.jpg

Here's a view from a block away. Very impressive. I'll get better photos as time permits.:cool:

Beam as seen from near my shop with searchlight.

You can see part of a cloud lit up. It does very well lighting up the cumulonimbus clouds during rain storms.
17362067556_d7cf12a35c_b.jpg

As seen from a block away, The 36 inch Gorilla has been outfitted and upgraded for weather resistance but now Much Brighter at 385,000 lumen.

Click here to view the original image of 1600x1085px.
17387672311_e30c9c0223_h.jpg

Beam looks cool seen through the trees. Dominates the sky and looks quite beautiful. Won't look like UFO's in the clouds, as the beam spreads just enough to still light the clouds, but not so bright and with a beam that can be seen connecting it to it's source for customers to travel joyfully to...lol.

I coudln't go very far as I only had a few minutes, as many people noticed this bright beam in the sky and start to travel towards it. I had to stop the migration before my neighbors got upset over another spotlight traffic jam.

Click here to view the original image of 1024x732px.
16765498044_bbff9ddf57_b.jpg

As seen from half a block away, The 36 inch Gorilla has been outfitted and upgraded for weather resistance but now Much Brighter at 385,000 lumen.

In the Monster, the beam will travel farther, just not as bright as the beginning, but brighter out towards it's ending part of beam.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I know a thing about that :whistle: It's a shame you have such "sensitive" neighbors :shakehead

COMING NOW! ALUMINUM AND OTHER METAL Reflectors. Superior performance..!

Here is a good compromise for all my lights...the older 50 inch MONSTER substitute for the WWII 60 inch Carbon Arc design.Big learning experience. I built this 50 inch Monster reflector six years ago and sort of didn't do much becasue it needed a very bright bulb to do it justice. Dimmer bulbs just barely mad e abeam. This thing took the light a and shot it into the night sky. For ease of transport, storage with ease of extraction, I have decided to make this my big light for now. The 72 inch is so big, I had to partially disassemble it just to store the pieces. For now the 50 inch MONSTER will be the big dominant light until I get a shop where I won't drive my neighbors crazy. Have to decommission things a little until I can get into a production facility.:cool:

This thing is "AWESOME" Had kind of shelved this light in favor of more efficient reflector designs. This set up allows for less light to be collected from bulb, but with a much longer focal length, the light travels further in a more parallel beam configuration. Beam had the effect of looking somewhat like a laser and was hard to tell from which direction it was coming from when beam aimed near horizon.

50 inch Searchlight MONSTER was shelved for a few years while I was waiting to secure a 4,000 watt HMI 385,000 lumen light source. It is a good substitute for the 60 inch WWII searchlights that need much loving care to keep going. This 50 inch MONSTER will help keep the big light legacy going well into the 21st century and beyond. The beautiful beam is a nice painting to a glorious night sky. Photo from a yard or two away.

21747198998_309b86ac29_b.jpg

Photo taken behind MONSTER showing the beam traveling several miles.

Photo taken from a block away

21748150449_de5a1dd96f_b.jpg

Photos taken a few blocks away.

21748139529_9654cab417_b.jpg

Photo from a block away. Beam paints a nice color in the night sky. Turquoise blue color looks nice.

21748157619_f9d65cf9f5_b.jpg

Photos taken around and from a few hundred feet distance.
21313883243_3c4fa55c84_b.jpg

Photo from a block away. Walking way from searchlight, the beam appears to follow. Aimed near the horizon, people couldn't tell which direction it was coming from...nice narrow beam compared to my other searchlights.

21944758501_429064630b_k.jpg

The beautiful beam is a nice painting to a glorious night sky. Photo from directly beneath the beam, next to searchlight.

21748129029_3eec6d78d3_b.jpg

Photo from near mail boxes, block away...300 feet...

21748144699_95d0359ec3_b.jpg

Some good views from a block away...several hundred feet. Couldn't go any where with the crowds coming to see. Police almost said they'd stay and watch while I drove around to take photos.

21908665546_73cd8f5f8a_b.jpg

Some of these composites were hard to align with the camera tripod. Software to straighten the photos was unavailable.

21934825745_4f3443d09a_h.jpg

Photo from a block away.

21908677586_78fb3d093e_h.jpg

Photo from a block away.

21922954332_93b486c2d5_b.jpg

Photo from a block away.

21748150449_de5a1dd96f_b.jpg

Photos showing beam traveling overhead. Laser like look, hard to tell direction beam came from when aimed near horizon.

21748139529_9654cab417_b.jpg

Photo from a block away. Beam paints a nice color in the night sky. Turquoise blue color looks nice.

21748157619_f9d65cf9f5_b.jpg

Photo from behind searchlight.
I'll get back to posting on this shortly.

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 30 inch NightHawk has become a great light to work with....bright, powerful and small enough to be transported easily. One day I'd like o power all my great lights at once, some day. Here is how the 50 inch Monster looked Halloween Night.
Hard to say, I'd like to one day have the means to compare many of my searchlights together. For now I can do a 1,200 watt HMI, NightHawk or 36 inch Gorilla, comparison to the 4,000 HMI 50 inch Monster, when the neighbors won't be bothered. Have to do it when the nights come real early next month.

Just wanted everyone to know this MONSTER 50 inch searchlight is a winner. So many cars came by and used up much of our trick or treat candy..! Met many people from far away towns and small cities. People from towns twenty miles distance said it was bright where they were located.

Here are some quick photos, (better ones to be transferred soon), of the awesome Halloween night 50 inch MONSTER searchlight Trick or Treaters flood and hundreds of vehicles on our private street to see what the "Big Light", was all about.. Awesome. Met many great people.

This is a shot I need to download from this hard to digitize access camera, but takes great pictures:

22666443195_e8dd8fc0f5_b.jpg

Another shot taken from a camera hard to transfer photos from. Looks great, will get it in better quality soon.

First photo of the night my cell phone camera could actually take.
22676486651_fbdf7149b5_b.jpg

Halloween begins with this brilliant beam that could be seen twenty miles in distant small towns.

My 385,000 lumen Four thousand watt, HMI high efficiency, medium arc, 50 inch diameter MONSTER searchlight drew in Hundreds and hundreds of vehicles, multiple dozens of "Trick or Treaters", more than all other years here combined. One photo is from cell phone and one with a rainbow vein, like a rainbow caught in the light beam.
(You can see the high tech light bulb cooling down next to the air cooled 'split half reflector', which redirects otherwise wasted back light, back through the arc chamber, and onto the main reflector.)

22477318670_80c840393a_b.jpg

Had to take this off one of my other cameras. I'll transfer some of these soon for better quality.

Cool photo showing beam splitting raindrops up into colors like a rainbow.

22639262836_010b3e12dc_h.jpg

While the rain was falling heavily, rainbow patterns were visible at various parts of the light beam. Looked real neat.

4,000 watt, 385,000 lumen HMI High Tech bulb cooling down.

22477334790_f26cb0f84b_b.jpg

The split reflector cooling system has reduced the tarnishing effects of the intense heat assaulting the back split reflector.

Beam was bright enough for the my cell phone to capture the beam in rain

22676491331_d2ab64aa6c_b.jpg

Very impressive. The beam could be seen for many, many miles. People from many of the small and large towns and small cities scattered in the area, came for some candy and to see a searchlight, many had never seen one in person before. The look on many people's faces was like they had just seen God, or were otherwise spiritually lifted.

Way worth the effort. Now we get many Trick or Treaters when in the entire history of our small part of town, we had almost no people come by on Halloween...ever. I'm stoked....don't have to eat so much left over candy now....HA.:cool:

Will have to do this again. Originally I was going to make this the last appearance of the light, but due to high public approval, I may do it again, next year..!
b
p.pl

When resources allow, the World's Biggest Searchlight will be "resurrected". For now the 60 inch WWII wann-a-BE Monster 50 inch searchlight will be my Big Light for now. A true WWII searchlight will blow mine away, but it'll be interesting to see how the two would compare. Maybe at Flash-a-holic event to be scheduled soon...I hope..!

b
p.pl

kuna

Newly Enlightened
Wow, seems like everything went pretty well there. Those photos are amazing, especially the first and third. I wonder what the cloud ceiling was there in the third photo? That beam looks pretty tight for an HMI bulb, awesome work. Last night I noticed one of the four beam units running from about 2.2 miles away, and the spots on the clouds were up very high in the sky.(about 65-70 degrees) The clouds had to be up there like 20Kft or so, maybe more. I thought I could take the bike out and track them down, but I was unable to get too close to them because of a highway lol. I probably got within a half mile, and those beams were pretty impressive, especially in darker areas. I'd bet your 50" searchlight was probably brighter than the four beam unit. Definitely the best halloween decoration ever, and it's what's needed to finally get people to that small town of yours on Halloween :p. if I had a similar light here my neighborhood would be overrun with people lol. I still have that 575W HMI searchlight in consideration and the power supply for the 2kW XBO should be finished within a couple months so I may do something similar, though definitely on a smaller scale. If you do run multiple lights at once, point them in opposite directions and it'll get even more attention I think ;D

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, seems like everything went pretty well there. Those photos are amazing, especially the first and third. I wonder what the cloud ceiling was there in the third photo? That beam looks pretty tight for an HMI bulb, awesome work. Last night I noticed one of the four beam units running from about 2.2 miles away, and the spots on the clouds were up very high in the sky.(about 65-70 degrees) The clouds had to be up there like 20Kft or so, maybe more. I thought I could take the bike out and track them down, but I was unable to get too close to them because of a highway lol. I probably got within a half mile, and those beams were pretty impressive, especially in darker areas. I'd bet your 50" searchlight was probably brighter than the four beam unit. Definitely the best halloween decoration ever, and it's what's needed to finally get people to that small town of yours on Halloween :p. if I had a similar light here my neighborhood would be overrun with people lol. I still have that 575W HMI searchlight in consideration and the power supply for the 2kW XBO should be finished within a couple months so I may do something similar, though definitely on a smaller scale. If you do run multiple lights at once, point them in opposite directions and it'll get even more attention I think ;D

it will be good to see how your lights turn out. Looking forward to that.

The beam was largely affected during the early night hours due to the rain which of course is a physical obstruction over distance and beam didn't make it very high to the low cloud deck very well. Once the rain cleared, the higher up clouds were easily illuminated and after the sky totally cleared, an upper layer of less dense air, always in the atmosphere...?... seems to always form a 'ceiling' the batman symbol can appear on....LOL. I really wanted to go to remote areas myself, instead of having to really on other people's words. Hard to find a situation were I can find it easy to leave and go look. :cool:

Looking at some new designs with this 50 inch Monster light in mind, but a little smaller and more portable.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the light was phenomenal. Never had such a line of vehicles like this before.
Just wanted everyone to know this MONSTER 50 inch searchlight is a winner. So many cars came by and used up much of our trick or treat candy..! Met many people from far away towns and small cities. People from towns twenty miles distance said it was bright where they were located.

One day would like to power all the lights at once, but will take a while to have the resources to power all the lights at once. Would like to have them all on at once, some day. Here is how the 50 inch Monster looked Halloween Night.
Hard to say, I'd like to one day have the means to compare many of my searchlights together. For now I can do a 1,200 watt HMI, NightHawk or 36 inch Gorilla, comparison to the 4,000 HMI 50 inch Monster, when the neighbors won't be bothered. Have to do it when the nights come real early next month.

Here are some quick photos, (better ones to be transferred soon), of the awesome Halloween night 50 inch MONSTER searchlight Trick or Treaters flood and hundreds of vehicles on our private street to see what the "Big Light", was all about.. Awesome. Met many great people.

Click here to view the original image of 1578x885px.
22772307946_be72fde357_k.jpg

Another shot taken from a camera hard to transfer photos from. Looks great, will get it in better quality soon.

First photo of the night my cell phone camera could actually take.
At sunset I turned the searchlight on and found it was already dark enough to be seen.:naughty: :cool::thinking: :welcome:

Click here to view the original image of 1024x751px.
22738366735_7c6cd87dd5_b.jpg

Searchlight is bright enough to be seen at sunset.:cool:

Halloween begins with this brilliant beam that could be seen twenty miles in distant small towns.

My 385,000 lumen Four thousand watt, HMI high efficiency, medium arc, 50 inch diameter MONSTER searchlight drew in Hundreds and hundreds of vehicles, multiple dozens of "Trick or Treaters", more than all other years here combined. One photo is from cell phone and one with a rainbow vein, like a rainbow caught in the light beam.
(You can see the high tech light bulb cooling down next to the air cooled 'split half reflector', which redirects otherwise wasted back light, back through the arc chamber, and onto the main reflector.)

22379934008_6fb2788a93_b.jpg

Beam looked thinner to the eye, but cloud nicely lit.

Cool photo showing beam splitting raindrops up into colors like a rainbow.

Click here to view the original image of 1578x1182px.
22639262836_010b3e12dc_h.jpg

While the rain was falling heavily, rainbow patterns were visible at various parts of the light beam. Looked real neat.

4,000 watt, 385,000 lumen HMI High Tech bulb cooling down.

Click here to view the original image of 1024x774px.
22477334790_f26cb0f84b_b.jpg

The split reflector cooling system has reduced the tarnishing effects of the intense heat assaulting the back split reflector.

Beam was bright enough for the my cell phone to capture the beam in rain

Click here to view the original image of 1024x756px.
22676491331_d2ab64aa6c_b.jpg

Very impressive. The beam could be seen for many, many miles. People from many of the small and large towns and small cities scattered in the area, came for some candy and to see a searchlight, many had never seen one in person before. The look on many people's faces was like they had just seen God, or were otherwise spiritually lifted.

Car headlights compete with the much brighter searchlight beam 1:200 ratio in brightness.

22177183943_a968b15755_b.jpg

Beam isn't totally culminated, but it looks like a laser when underneath it in another neighborhood...I'm told.

Way worth the effort. Now we get many Trick or Treaters when in the entire history of our small part of town, we had almost no people come by on Halloween...ever. I'm stoked....don't have to eat so much left over candy now....HA.:cool:

Will have to do this again. Originally I was going to make this the last appearance of the light, but due to high public approval, I may do it again, next year..!
b
p.pl

When resources allow, the World's Biggest Searchlight will be "resurrected". For now the 60 inch WWII wann-a-BE Monster 50 inch searchlight will be my Big Light for now. A true WWII searchlight will blow mine away, but it'll be interesting to see how the two would compare. Maybe at Flash-a-holic event to be scheduled soon...I hope..!

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 30 inch NightHawk has been my workhorse for a few years now. It's easily transported, very bright and powerful, and now has a substantial upgrade from Fiberglass to Aluminum metal. Much easier for me to make.

The original big light; The 24inch LightSward, I made out of Fiberglass as my first successful light, has now been upgraded to Aluminum. Awesome..!

New big changes in how I make my reflectors, now in metal; and how much more significantly improved these Aluminum and steel reflectors are over my successful Fiberglass class of reflectors I've been working on for over half a dozen years on..!

These newly made Aluminum reflectors I've made, along with several others; and more on the way, are truly amazing..! The ease and precision that can be accomplished: quickly, silently, easily, artfully, and without odors or other issues with an incredible result. Still needs to be "dialed in", but the results are already better than the Fiberglass. No Orange Peal effect, that was actually a subtle defects in the Fiberglass surface, invisible until the reflective surface was applied. The metal doesn't have such an issue. Live and learn. This new personal "discovery of skills", will go across the board on all my searchlights. So far several: 7, 24, 26 and 30 inch reflectors are finished or about to be and several 36 inch Aluminum discs are on standby to be converted shortly. Several simultaneous tests on the different reflector designs will occur to determine the best route(s), to be taken at this time. EXCITING!:D:D:D

Polishing is not feasible at this time, as it involves too much noise and not as good a reflective surface as this window glazing I used. I'll use the chrome tape with it's better reflectivity in future reflectors. NOW I HAVE A LIGHT METER AND CAN TAKE ACTUAL READINGS.

My upside reflections caused by the 'magnifying glass' effect of the two different style reflectors.

24878716421_0bd2cf6c23_b.jpg

Aluminum reflectors made from flat bottom water tank collection pan.

My upside reflections caused by the 'magnifying glass' effect of the two different style reflectors. One is a deep 200 degree capture design with more light reflectivity compared to the 130 degree capture with it's superior long distance light throw..

Click here to view the original image of 1024x773px.
24972057155_e2b8a3bd2d_b.jpg

These reflectors are so much more easier to make out of Aluminum discs than the Fiberglass process I've been using. I did a "quick" production routine to make these and others in progress at a larger diameter, I'm just amazed. The beams are much more culminated with a smaller diameter reflector needed for better, narrow beam effect. Will experiment with the different reflector designs.

This is very exciting..!

Stay tuned.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
This new generation of lights will make things bright..
The telescope reflector version of the 36 inch Gorilla is moving along. Not sure what to call it, Monster Jr., the New Gorilla, etc. Bottom picture you can see the two high powered searchlights together before beam shots are taken soon.

High powered stuff..!

More progress:

26725790955_a6692ae9c1_k.jpg

Searchlight reflecting sky to light

Nice view of the searchlight and cooling equipment.

A little closer to see the cooling fans

26119380804_2f5394eba3_h.jpg

Close-up Searchlight

Searchlight getting closer to completion.C ooling fans installed. My usual Home Depot $15.00 bath fans. To get twice the CFM capacity, most fan makers charge up to 10 X higher, so I just buy two.

Will fire up both of these at the same time for a total output of 8,000 watts HMI, equivalent to 24,000 watts incandescent of Xenon. 385,000 lumen output each for a TOTAL: 770,000 LUMEN..! That's bright..!

26122135423_ce5b3363e0_b.jpg

Old and New generations:wave::tired:
The old and new high powered telescope style searchlights.:) Notice the difference in the mirror orange peel effect from fibergalass to aluminum with it's much smoother finish. Hopefully makes a nicer beam..!

Will keep things posted as I make progress.

b

b

b

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Set up and tooled my shop to make a nice range of reflectors, using a modified English Wheel, in a range of sizes; anywhere from 24 inch, 36 inch Gorilla Reflector up to a 50 inch Monster or any size in this whole range made now from aluminum with polished aluminum, nice but pricey, all with precision geometric control, integrating CAD control in the forming of the reflector. Been real busy doing things I needed to do with little time to posts. Am making huge progress on this and will get back to posting more as I get some time. This is going to be awesome. Hopefully I'll have something worth showing when the time comes. This weekend I could be ready for another test. Need money for some patents.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been following this thread for a while. Always look forward to new pictures and details. Keep up the good work!

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened
Yes keep up the good work always love to see what you come up with, even better now you have some better tools :).