• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The aleph 2 does it for me

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll agree with the X1 recommendation. If you want Mini Mag output, maybe 200mA or so. It won't be bright, but you should get one hellacious runtime.

I'm saying 200mA because I just built a NexGen350 light engine and it's still bright.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
I don't think I own a single light that is driven over 1amp (or even at 1 amp)...except for the 5w lights, etc.

In fact, most of my lights are driven at 400mA. There's just no practical need, in my opinion for an EDC to be driven any more than that (okay, 500mA, etc. is fine). Two light levels, low and high. Nice, simple, and effective.

It's great to know that more people are starting to realize how useful a light can still be when driven at low currents. Led's are efficient when driven conservatively!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hey, look who popped in here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

I have a prototype light and driver now that is set at 30 and 500 mA to the LED, constant current, with a 20 mm reflector. The 30 mA is very useful and even leaves a spot on the wall with ambient light! I think many of you would find that 200 mA to a lux III in the Aleph 2 is actually too much for in close work and gets out mid range no problem if it is dark. At some point as these LED's keep getting brighter, enough will be enough when you are actually using the light and not "burning rubber" for show. Already for EDC lights we need at least two levels to really take advantage of what the LED's have to offer.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
A driver board that provides a regulated very low constant current, in addition to the retina searing levels would be very welcome. Something like what the L1 does?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1 is nice, but the low mode is NOT regulated. The tail cap is resistored to force the driver out of regulation.

Darell

Flashaholic
The aleph 2 does it for me

Hey! Roger's here!

Man, making an Aleph as dim and yellow as a Minimag!? The hell you say! I'm thinking that 200mA might be too much. And there aren't any Lux3 "whites" that are as "warm" as a Minimag incandescent. You're stuck with white, I'm afraid! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The aleph 2 does it for me

My L1 has a 10 ohm tailcap resistor, and in low mode is taking only 15 mA from the CR123. At that low a current, true regulation is probably superfluous. What the L1 does manage to do is bypass the huge inefficiencies that would be created by the boost circuit in low mode. It would be nice to see that same ability in available Light Engine circuits. My NexGen 500 is only slightly brighter in low than my L1 (implying a similar current through the LED), but draws nearly 10 times the current from the CR123.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

The next step is constant current levels without any resistor as overhead. In the proto I mentioned, with 29 mA (measured) going to the LED, the converter is drawing 32 mA. That is one run time test that would try my patience! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Taking the resistor out of the tail switch though requires a departure from the E series modularity and format. Although relatively inefficient, the resistored switches still provide real and useful utility, IMHO.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

After checking out knifebright's very nice collection of Alephs I finally had the knowledge, motivation, value understanding AND opportunity to buy my first, which I anxiously await for the mailman to bring. Cheers to knifeB for taking the time to school me on the options and details with an actual collection of McGizmo works of art.

Mine is that blue and chrome Aleph 1 single 123 with NG1000. BTFO!! Anyway, Im a little confused now since it two light levels using the dual stage switch, couldn't you really have both worlds in this light. Im not sure what the low level is on my incoming Aleph but couldn't you change the lo to be 150mA if you wanted? Then you'd get runtime and in close versatility, with KaBLAMO when you needed a fix /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif BTW what is the lo running at?

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Although relatively inefficient, the resistored switches still provide real and useful utility, IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

No argument from me on that point! And the fact is, runtimes on low with existing LE circuits are still very long. But if you could make them 5 to 10 times longer (without flickering!) that would be very fine.

I'm looking forward to seeing the fruits of your (and Wayne's) latest efforts from the Skunkworks!

knifebright

Enlightened

Hey Cromag
Hows it going? Good to see you got a nice aleph. The Nexgen 1000 is only going to have a chance of running in regulation on a recharable li-ion as we discussed before. With the current set up it's not running at any fixed regulation with the resisored tail cap function. What don is talking about (i believe) is a new generation of light that uses both a regulated high and low solution. With a primary cell and a nexgen about say 611-700ma the converter doesn't really switch into regulated amperage and basically ends up working similiar to a madmax and just boosts the voltage and lets the current do what i'ts going to do.
Same thing goes for the resistored low mode. Just knocks it into direct drive and holds back some of the voltage an amperage.
jimmy

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

knifeB: Going great! I have spare Li-ion 123 batts fully charged and still waiting for the mailman. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have a lot to learn. I read your post prol'y like my dog listens to me talk. Wha Wha wha Wha .. Wha whawha whaWHA. LOL I am still a cromag when it comes to these electical things. I need to touch it and try it to really get it. My specialty is finance and music is my forte so to speak.

BTW I hope to get my hands on one of your great little mods some day. So PM me when you want to send one to a nice home ok /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

WasBlinded: OH! that's right. My Q3R sometimes flickers on low when I first turn it on. So that would happen with the NG1000 if it is too low of a low mode?

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice, thanks everyone. I was happy to go tooling around with my current EDC, a nice little CNC-123 HA with an R2H/MM+ in it. Now it seems that an Aleph2 1x123 with NG500 and big resistor is much closer to my ideal EDC. Now I have have to go sell stuff off and re-arrange my collection so I can afford one of these little beauties. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Jon

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hi guys,
On Maui now with slow dial up and less time to visit here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

One think I have learned since playing with the LED lights and experimenting is that we more often than not have more than enough light to work with but the key is placing the light we have, where we want it. I think what the Aleph 2 has going for it more than anything else is its reflector. I am real happy with the 20 mm relfector and its depth and curve do real well for a 1" OD head, IMHO.

The old addage about not so much what you have, but how you use it seems to apply. Had some good dark last night and it was clear in some experimenting that placement of light is more significant than quantity of light; stadium lighting not withstanding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Ah ... on Maui, the philosopher comes out again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernie