The best most versatile keychain light

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The best most versitile keychain light

H30-Q5. Priced so that you may not shelf queen it.

tricker

Enlightened

:eek: you don't edc your draco? it's such a fine light not to be used.

come on xcel.....he said he doesn't consider them edc....not that he doesn't edc it, thats just a crazy thought......i'm guess edc is considered 1cr123 or bigger.....i love my p1d Q5 though some may consider it too big for a keychain(I carried it on one and it didn't bother me)......the draco is amazing and is the ultimate keychain light but i've never NEEDED a light to do more than an ARC AAA can do

Highbeam101

Newly Enlightened

Thanks guys, these all sound like great lights. After thinking about this, i "think" i've made a decision. At work i have a tempo and cheap led on my keychain, a pd3 on my side, and task force in my edc bag with for throw.

I think the zebralight h30 with it's flood would make a fine edition. Then i won't need any more lights......yeah right! My wife says iv'e totally lost it. It all makes perfect sense to me.

CaptCarrot

Newly Enlightened
Keychain Lights

Other than the standard coin cell keyring lights on the market, what else is out there for keychain use. (anything under say 4" lond and 1"diameter).

The obvious options belng to say the Led Lenser V2 Keyfinder, ARC-AAA or Fenix E01/P1D.

But what else is there.

Also, if anyone has tried the FireFli (runs on 4 Zinc-Air batteries), how does it compare to fauxtons?

Cheers guys.

DM51

Super Moderator,
Supporter
Re: Keychain Lights

There have been several threads on this topic recently. I am merging your post with one of them.

john46268

Newly Enlightened

+1 on the Fenix L0D Q4. Can't go wrong. Wonderful simplicity.:thumbsup:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a L0D CE, and I'm very happy with it. Yes, the LF2X is far brighter. But I don't know why you'd want anything brighter on your keychain. Or, if you must, there is a L0D Q4. And build quality is excelent - there's nothing to be gained there.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had a ARC AAA on my keychain for about 4 years. it still works. the anodizing is very worn. The beam sucks but it is reliable.
Today given the same decision I would likely choose the same light again if only because of the heavy duty factor. A keychain is a very rough place to live at least mine is.
My second choice would be a fenix L0D CE. This is the same size as the Arc yet it produces a beam which is FAR superior. I do not know how well the fenix would hold up on my keychain.
The first consideration for a keychain light is it's ability to still work when needed no matter what. EVERY other small light I have installed on my keychain has disintegrated. EVERY ONE except the ARC AAA.
If you need a light on your keychain as a basic emergency will work when you need it doesn't have to be bright kind of light then I highly recommend the ARC AAA.
Otherwise go for the L0D CE or some other light which meets your needs.
Yaesumofo

BigD64

Enlightened
Photon Rex deserves a mention. Bright, versatile, and rechargeable.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hm, I like that clip on the new LF2... :)

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a L0D CE, and I'm very happy with it. Yes, the LF2X is far brighter. But I don't know why you'd want anything brighter on your keychain. Or, if you must, there is a L0D Q4. And build quality is excelent - there's nothing to be gained there.
I used to EDC an L0D-CE, until I discvered the liteflux LF2 existed... the following reasons are why I immeaditely switched (higher maximum setting is NOT one of them), in order of decreasing importance:

1) No visible flickering, L0D-CE flickers at 100Hz, whcih is especially noticeable on the minimum settings
2) minimum output is MUCH lower on the LF2x, Lowest low on L0d is still too bright to use in many cases
3) LF2, and especially LF2x have nicer beam profiles IMO
4) Low battery warning and voltage protection
5) Option to use LiIon (more efficient) safely
6) Light is OFF when head is tightened, less likely to accidentally turn on in-pocket

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the LF2X and it is my favorite AAA light. However, I think a light of this size is not meant for a keychain but a pocket instead. So I would like to offer the Photon ReX as a possibility.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be receiving one shortly, but I argue based on vicarious reviews that the Muyshondt Aeon is the best keychain light. A simple, no-frills, dual output light with a reliable twist-on activation method. Short, lightweight and powered off cells which are relatively common in urban environments.

steaxauce

Newly Enlightened
I second the Aeon. I bought my dad a Fenix P1D, because I didn't think that the extra build quality was necessary in a light. But I compared the two in my backyard, and there was just no contest. The P1D is rated at 180 lumens on turbo mode, but I couldn't decide which one I thought was brighter (the fenix on turbo mode vs. the Aeon on high), and the Aeon had much better color rendition. The Aeon also has better runtime (an hour and a half fully regulated vs. the P1D's one hour on turbo mode), and you're not supposed to run the P1D for long on turbo, as it may overheat. Also, the Fenix has strobe and SOS modes, which are perfectly useless and really get in the way. To get to the low mode (which it sounds like you'll be using most), you have to cycle through high and turbo, which I can see being very annoying. The Aeon has two modes, a low setting on which you get 40 hours, and a high setting (as I said, as bright as the Fenix's turbo mode and with better color rendition) that last for 1.5 hours, and it's easy to toggle between them. You go through the low to get to the high, not the other way around. And it does all this in a much smaller form factor, on a single CR2! The P1D is really too big for a keychain, in my opinion. Also, it's almost completely indestructible and very reliable. It has a sapphire lense (I have a Ti watch with a sapphire lense, and the watch is very scratched up but the lense is in perfect condition), the aluminum is hard anodized (also virtually scratch proof), the internals are brass, and the contacts are gold plated. It's a very nice light, and believe it or not, it's worth it over the Fenix! Read the reviews!

copiertech

Newly Enlightened
if you enjoy tinkering i`ve a suggestion for you, take a stainless ultrafire c1, add a q5 or r2 and a multimode driver. heres mine fitted with a q5 and a chep 5 mode driver from dx. i use it every day, on low ive had more than 5 hours on a rcr123, on high its as bright as youll ever need for most everyday stuff. its been on my keyring for about a year and ive dropped it on concrete loads of times using it at work and it hasn`t even got a mark on it. the stainless gives it a quality feel and its a decent small size too. it looks nice and people always ask what the shiny thing on my keys is.
img0170fq1.jpg