The Big Green Egg......

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did it come out nice and moist? Thats been my issue as of late, but I tend to forget some of the requirements like a pan with liquid in it below the butt. Its definately a learning process.

Brian

It was very moist indeed. ;) Pork Butt is pretty forgiving. The key is to cook it long enough to be tender (190 deg, +/-10). There is plenty of fat content inside the meat to keep it moist.

Here is a great article on Pork Butt in general:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/porkbuttselect.html

And don't forget these recipes more specific to the Egg:
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#pork

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the links,

I generally shoot for 200 even, but have had a few get a little dry on me. I'll read up on the links (already had the wiz's site bookmarked) and keep on smoking.

Ever smoked a fattie (no, not that kind), its a dry rubbed sausage roll, like Jimmy Dean or such, I hear they are yummy and plan to try one soon.

Cheers

Brian

P.S. Whoo Hooo, I think this is my 100th post and its not even about flashlights, go figure.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the links,

I generally shoot for 200 even, but have had a few get a little dry on me. I'll read up on the links (already had the wiz's site bookmarked) and keep on smoking.

Ever smoked a fattie (no, not that kind), its a dry rubbed sausage roll, like Jimmy Dean or such, I hear they are yummy and plan to try one soon.
Try shooting for a slightly lower temp, 190-195. Also remember the temp will rise (5-10 deg) during the resting period, depending on how long you let it rest.

Never smoked a fattie before, but I heard they're good. It's on my list also. :)

Good luck with your future cooks, and feel free to post some pics. :D

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just as an update, I now have 2 LG & 1 SM...It's a sickness I tell ya :duh2:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
This looks awesome! I googled it and it's coming to the UK soon! Oh no, this is another thing I didn't know existed but now can't live without. I'm sure there are other good charcoal grills I can get, but I like the big green egginess of it all.

Quest4fire

Enlightened
It's after midnight and after checking out this thread I am so hungry for some smoked BBQ. I have admired the BGE for a few years not but other things have always seemed to take priority in my check book.

acrosteve

Newly Enlightened
I have a Kamado, but I don't use it enough. My favorite is ribs.

Here is a turkey I "kooked".

DSCN4238.jpg

DSCN4234.jpg

DSCN4230.jpg

DSCN4227.jpg

As you can see, they are very similar to the BGE.