Re: The brightest most powerful LED light I have s

I did mean you might be able to out preform 12 watt hid
with led - get more lumens.

12 watt includes the losses in the ballast

10 watts - bulb

2 watts - ballast

light cannon 100

can a brighter dive rated led light be made for the cost of a lc 100

but hid has a better color rendering index.

bonklers

Newly Enlightened

Could it be one of the high-end Fa-Mi divelights?
http://www.fa-mi.com/ecommerce2/prodotti2_1/inscar_var.asp?KeyPro=290
MULTI-LED90CAB.jpg

This baby runs with six 5Watt led's +_+

Did you see how big it was? And wether or not it had lantern grips and stuff?

jtr1962

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Amonra said:
Now always according to chimo's tests here the 65k leds give 150 lux @ 30mA and the nichias give 28 lux @ 30mA.

So that's about 5 times the lux due to the tight beam but im going to be conservative and say that it is 2.5 times brighter to compensate for that.

Therefore according to jtr1962 the nichias @ 30mA give 5 lumens each multiplying that by 2.5 gives 12.5 Lumens each for the 65k leds. multiply that by 100 and u get 1250 Lumens.

According to this to get the 65k's running @30mA u need 3.26V therefore 100 leds will be pulling 9.78 Watts.

Can anyone confirm this or am I getting too excited to notice that I did something wrong in my calculations ?

[/ QUOTE ]
At best the 65K's put out about the same lumens as the Nichias. Their beam angle is less than half as wide, so that can easily give you five times the lux (brightness goes up or down in inverse proportion to the square of the beam angle). As much as 1250 lumens from LEDs pulling 9.78 watts would be nice (that's almost 128 lm/W) it's not possibly with today's white LEDs. 60 or so lm/W at rated current is about what the most efficient whites put out. You can get 80 to 90 lm/W at reduced currents like 5 mA. In a few years you probably will be able to get 125 lm/W even from cheap eBay LEDs.

Amonra

Enlightened

markdi: i think i just proved that a brighter ( lumen wise ) led flashlight can be built cheaper 100 x 65k leds cost about 34$ with free shipping from ebay. even if it's not as efficient as HID 500 lumens it still is darn good for a bunch of 10mm leds, and that's only if youre driving them @ 20mA

bonklers: it could be but i did not see the body, only the blinding light. but I think it might have had more leds. Still this fa-mi light must be impressive, bloody expensive though.

jtr1962: youre probably right, I thought I overestimated my conservativeness which led to the miscalculation. but i think the 65k leds moght be a bit more efficient than 60lm/W since we are underdriving them @ 20 as they are rated at 30mA. maybe 65 - 68 lm/W. 650 lumens @ 9.78W is still darn good for 100 10mm leds costing only 34$.

im off to ebay /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Amonra said:
Cheapo: Yep it is the azure window. that area is the most beautiful dive site in the Maltese islands. Im happy you like my small country. Unfortunately I cannot persuade the Maltese to spend $450 for a dive light , they all think im crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is the most beautiful country I have ever seen. I went 3 years ago. I actually stayed at the Paradise bay Hotel. I visited the red castle, and I took a motorboat through the tunnels at the Azur window. I saw divers in there too, the water was so clear, I could see them 50 meters below. I got stung by a sea animinee at the Azur Window and I still have the scar today. Maybe I'll see you the next time I come to Malta for vacation. Are you maltese? Have they really converted to Euro?

-David /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Amonra

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
cheapo said:
[ QUOTE ]
Amonra said:
Cheapo: Yep it is the azure window. that area is the most beautiful dive site in the Maltese islands. Im happy you like my small country. Unfortunately I cannot persuade the Maltese to spend $450 for a dive light , they all think im crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is the most beautiful country I have ever seen. I went 3 years ago. I actually stayed at the Paradise bay Hotel. I visited the red castle, and I took a motorboat through the tunnels at the Azur window. I saw divers in there too, the water was so clear, I could see them 50 meters below. I got stung by a sea animinee at the Azur Window and I still have the scar today. Maybe I'll see you the next time I come to Malta for vacation. Are you maltese? Have they really converted to Euro?

-David /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Im happy you enjoyed your stay in Malta and has left a scar on you quite literally ( pardon the pun ) I know it hurts as i got stung myself by one of those. the scar went away after a few years though. Yep i am a Maltese purebreed, it would be a pleasure to meet you next time u come there is much much more to see. Film makers are taking a lot of interest in Malta too, infact Spielberg just left after shooting a film here. no we have not converted to the Euro yet but it seems we will be in the next couple of years.

Amonra

Enlightened

with all these miscalculations and rough guessing of lumens i realised that we ( or I )need someone to tell us exactly ( or as close as possible ) the amount of lumens given off by any given led.

can anyone here do that ?

maybe we could start by doing the latest 5,7,8 & 10 mm leds ( nichia, lov, mjled, lck65k, etc.. ) since there is already a lot of info on them thanks to chimo but we still dont know which one is the brightest or efficient.

jtr1962

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Amonra said:
with all these miscalculations and rough guessing of lumens i realised that we ( or I )need someone to tell us exactly ( or as close as possible ) the amount of lumens given off by any given led.

can anyone here do that ?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've done a considerable amount of testing in that area and posted my results in this thread.

I have no plans to purchase every single white LED sold on eBay or elsewhere to test but I'll be happy to accept samples for testing. PM for my address, and enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope if you want any LEDs you send me returned. For more reliable results a few samples might be better as any one LED can be bright/dimmer than average.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know what the light was but it is TOP SECRET.
Please send air fare and arrange for a couple weeks stay and I will tell you all about it...
http://www.laminaceramics.com/ has something that might have found it's way into a dive light.

I've never been big on big bright dive lights. Most of what I want to see is close and in the spring time my light is off most of a dive while I watch things glow.
Laying on my back in 30 feet of water watching your bubbles light up is a trip.

Amonra

Enlightened

i have taken a look at the lov store and found these do you think they are brighter than the 5mm 35k ones ?

I mean does a 5 - 10 deg narrower beam make such a big difference ( 30,000 mcd ) or they are actually brighter than the 35k ones

jtr1962

Flashaholic

If you mean brighter as in registering higher on a light meter then yes, they are. The 10 mm package is much more efficient at focusing the light from the die into a narrow beam. In general, it is not possible to build 5mm LEDs which efficiently focus into a beam much narrower than about 20°. When you try it, even with a 20° beam angle, you get most of the light falling outside the main beam as I discovered in my experiments.

As for the 65K mcd LEDs actually having more output, I would say no. In fact, the price in 200s is exactly the same as the 35,000 mcd cost in 200s. This is telling me that they likely use the exact same die, and hence have practically the same output (the 10mm package may lose a little less due to total internal reflection). If you buy any, please send me a few for testing and we'll know for sure. I have no plans to buy any since the 10mm package is too large for most of my uses. Also, for most of what I do I'm concerned mainly with total output, not with intensity.

Amonra

Enlightened

I just bought 200, I will send you a few when they arrive, PM me your address.

Now I just need to find a cheap 3D diving flashlight with a 4 inch head. edit: and someone who wants the 200 resistors i was given

Anyway, back to the main discussion i.e. who the hell made the mysterious dive light I saw yesterday.
mike painter have you been to Malta last weekend ? forget the TOP SECRET secrets are meant to be unveiled. does it use a few lamina BL-4000 ?

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Amonra said:

mike painter have you been to Malta last weekend ? forget the TOP SECRET secrets are meant to be unveiled. does it use a few lamina BL-4000 ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me I'm trying to trick you into sending me tickets.
(hmm, I probably should not have said that.)

Amonra

Enlightened

sure ill send you a ticket and free lodginh at my house...
...so that you can paint it inside and out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast

You know what, I just had an idea. It was probably PK testing a new SF light... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Amonra said:
sure ill send you a ticket and free lodginh at my house...
...so that you can paint it inside and out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Happy to. You can pick one color for inside, one for out side. You cover *everything* you don't want painted (windows, floors, light switchs, furniture, pets,...)
I'll bring a spray gun.

Amonra

Enlightened

ok but I want the spray to be oven baked, maybe we can light a bonfire in the middle of the living room /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I as just pulling your leg u know.