The definitive Malkoff Hound Dog Super thread

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Does anyone know for sure that Duracell precharged AA are in fact Re branded eneloops?

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd really like to have one of these, but I think that in this format that a side switch at the head would be a very big improvement... reaching to the end of the battery tube to turn it on and off is not at all preferable, it's a demerit.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
A side switch would introduce reliability problems.
A twisty such as Surefire Z41 that I frequently employ with Malkoff builds is the ultimate in reliability with native Malkoff clickies not far behind.

A side switch, think maglite problems. Wear, corrosion, damage to the outer rubber boot and ultimately to the mechanism itself.
It does not fit with the whole Malkoff Lego vibe. Which is minimalism. The reason it's so reliable there are no parts that can fail.

I have no issues at all engaging the tailcap switch.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some data points:

I tried the Malkoff Hound Dog with the MD6 extension and 4xAA eneloops -- yes it works. And does so better than the Super. I got the full lumens. If you must use Hound Dog with the MD6 and you must use some type of AA format, such as Alkalines or Eneloops or Lithiums L91 - this is what you want. I got the full Hound Dog lumens, eyeballing it. Very bright. Very big. Not making a ton of sense but there it is.

I've used the MD6 body for the last year with the Li-ion cells but it dawned upon me fairly recently that MD6=4xAA, I just never really made that association until now. So it's a very versatile body. I wish I could buy a complete one piece MD6 body I could use full time with the other Hound Dog.

18650 Hound Dog -- Tried that too with the MD6 and 4xAA Eneloops. Yes it works also though it seemed less bright than the example above, this is strange because it got the full 6V that it spec'ed to. I ran 18650 HD and the regular HD side by side, with the 18650 Li-Ions and their output is identical. Why then 4xAA Hound Dog is brighter than the 4xAA Hound Dog 18650, I don't understand at this point, though my assessment could be wrong, eyeballing it.

Now the most interesting part. I tried the 18650 Hound Dog with the MD3 body and 2xAA Eneloops.

Hm, interesting. It's hard to say what the lumen output is. It's definitely reduced versus full output, obviously. On high, I am getting something similar to Malkoff M61LL but very high lux'ed of course which is why it's hard to tell. It could be getting 80 lumens on high with fresh cells and on low, probably about 15 lumens. The high is not that bright, versus the full 18650 version but it's comfortable, I don't feel like it's lacking. It's kind of a comfortable medium mode. It's higher than M91T on low, which we know is 30 lumens but lower than the Hound Dog on low.

I've also tried 2 fresh Alkaline cells and the output got bumped up some. Around 100 lumens maybe? It's high lux so it's hard to tell versus say M61LL.

18650 Hound Dog on MD3/2AA It is certainly an intriguing combination that deserves further exploration. In fact, I will use it exclusively for the next several days until cell depletion.

Here is an interesting idea. Get a 1x18500 extension, bolt it to the MD3 body. You now have a 3x18500 body which can take Li-ions or 3xAA. Bonus question what would be the runtime/lumens with that 3xAA / 3x18500 body and Malkoff 18650 Hound Dog?

I am going to guestimate 200 lumens. My guess, somewhere above 2xAA lumens but below 4xAA lumens.

A 3x18500 body is an interesting proposition. You could run 3x18500 in it with any regular Hound Dog or HD Super combination, or a 3xAA combination with the Hound Dog 18650 head, or even the regular HD head. It seems the 18650 HD will generate higher lumens due to its voltage range.

So with an MD3 body you can run 2xAA, MD3+18500 extension you could run 3xAA alkalines and the MD6 body of course runs 4xAA alkalines. The output ranges from low to high and you control it with the number of cells.

Bolt the 18500 extension to the MD6 body and you got a light that can now take 5xAA cells. Outside the specs of 18650 HD but not outside the specs of the regular Hound Dog or Super. Or M91T for that matter. Or M61T.

It's just mind boggling the number of permutations you can assemble just 10 Malkoff Lights and 10 bodies / extensions into.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I tried the 18650 Hound Dog with the MD6 body and 4xAA Lithium cells - Energizer. The lumens are higher than with either Alkalines or Eneloops but the cells get drained quicker. A neat option to keep in mind.

I also tried M61T with MD6/4xAA and that works nicely too. It's the lowest current MDx module I have so that makes the most sense from the view point of Alkalines or L91s. It does look ridiculous however. Just one 18650 cells generates almost as much voltage as 4 AA cells.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hd 18650 neutral high mode still running, been running all weekGranted it's bouncing around 0.1-0.4lm, it could still be useable and it doesn't look like moonlight as we know from the smaller lights

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
ya I'm at 170 hours on 2 Duracell alkaline! Been running on low all along. 😀😀😀. That's crazy.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I'm betting the M61T would do even better.

You know I'm not sure.its just not the runtime your talking about here it's the beam profile. The hound dog has a beam that seams to be perfect for this. I'm down to maybe 2 lumes? And it's not at all like my M60's when they are that low. It is still very useful.M61t might go as long but don't think it would be as useful. Only one way to find out tho. 😏

NH Lumens

Enlightened
You know I'm not sure.its just not the runtime your talking about here it's the beam profile. The hound dog has a beam that seams to be perfect for this. I'm down to maybe 2 lumes? And it's not at all like my M60's when they are that low. It is still very useful.M61t might go as long but don't think it would be as useful. Only one way to find out tho. 

Do you have one to try?

Your experiment with the HD 18650 has piqued my interest (I have one too). With an assortment of sleeves and spacers, the M61T-MD3 combo could be fueled all of the following ways;

Full Output

2 - CR123A
3 - CR123A
1 - 18650
2 - 18500
1 - 18500
2 - 18350
1 - 18350
2 - 16340
1 - 16340

Reduced Output

2 – AA
1 – CR123A

That's a lot of flexibility!

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Do you have one to try?

Your experiment with the HD 18650 has piqued my interest (I have one too). With an assortment of sleeves and spacers, the M61T-MD3 combo could be fueled all of the following ways;

Full Output

2 - CR123A
3 - CR123A
1 - 18650
2 - 18350
1 - 18350
2 - 16340
1 - 16340

Reduced Output

2 – AA
1 – CR123A

I do not. But we all know someone here who does.and lm betting he would be happy to try that for you

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Though I agree the HD 18650 high-lux beam pattern is ideal for the lower voltage cell combinations, the M61T is quite good as well in that regard, and it appears to be one of the most energy-efficient Malkoff makes. I think with the additional multi-cell power options it would take better advantage of the MD3 body.

Since I have the HD 18650, M61T and a MD3 body I may need to give this a try.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not. But we all know someone here who does.and lm betting he would be happy to try that for you

You'd have to catch him on a good day, pretty sure he doesn't really like these super long tests.

He may be willing to run the tests long enough for one to see the drop (high mode only)

For example, the hd dropped in the 1st hr or so i believe, then it's many many hrs/days of low level ouput

NH Lumens

Enlightened
He may be willing to run the tests long enough for one to see the drop (high mode only)

For example, the hd dropped in the 1st hr or so i believe, then it's many many hrs/days of low level ouput

Based on your 1 X 18650 cell tests of the HD18650 and M61T on high, for the first 90 minutes the HD has the output advantage, but once parity is reached at around 400 lumens/90 minutes, the M61T looks like it outruns the HD pretty convincingly.

Perhaps place both tests on the same graph?

Edit: looks like you already did so - https://imgur.com/NFlJltU

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, i think ETC started all this debate and has already requested quite a bit.

Now NH lumens is joining the adventure. While m61t is a great light, i personally have a hard time with the blue tint

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have one to try?

Full Output

2 - CR123A
3 - CR123A
1 - 18650
2 - 18500
1 - 18500
2 - 18350
1 - 18350
2 - 16340
1 - 16340

Reduced Output

2 – AA
1 – CR123A

There is even more flexibilty if you include:

3xAA
4xAA

And, if you include the 'regular' HD:

5xAA
6xAA
7xAA
8xAA

You can achieve any of those combinations by adding various extensions.

For example 8xAA is just two MD6 bodies added together. Or, MD4+MD2+MD4+MD2. The resulting voltage is 1.5*8=12V which should enable full lumens on the Hound Dog. Unless you are strictly talking 18650 HD which can only take up to 6V, or 4xAA cells max.

But I have the regular HD to experiment with in addition to the 18650 HD.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, i think ETC started all this debate and has already requested quite a bit.

Now NH lumens is joining the adventure. While m61t is a great light, i personally have a hard time with the blue tint

You are right. It's slightly on the blue side and worse, less spill than the Hound Dog

But if you are going to employ the AA chemistry, I think 3xAA is the happy medium. Just take MD3 and add a 1x18500 extension to it. You increase the lumens and increase the runtime as well.

But I like the MD6 body with the Hound Dog, you are in fact getting the full lumens running off 4xAA. I haven't tested the runtime. The current should be lower versus 3xAA or 2xAA.

The Hound Dog off 2xAA does give long runtime but the lumens are low of course. Still, it has the best beam profile of any light IMO.