The E01 48 Hour Challenge

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
NBP for the win! I'm proud of your sir. It takes some real cojones and a taste for German spaetzle to muck up an E01 led real good. I recommend the sandpaper to get rid of that last little hint of blue in your beam. ''Tis a tasty endeavor when one enters the challenge with a freshly frosted LED. Tasty indeed. I hope for your sake and for the sake of your lips that you also give the chapstick cap diffuser a go. And if you're going that far then please make use of some electrical tape and turn that cap into a delightful moon mode option.
PS. I did not find the ear cover thing that my daughter dropped on our night walk. But my wife went out today and found it using an E01. That's not completely true......she did find it...... but she found it in The middle of the day and was totally not using a flashlight. I like to think if I had searched with an E01 instead of the MDC that I would have found it first. I'm going to drink some water now.......somebody please post something about an E01 quickly!!!!!

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
My grandfather used to say me, "Gurdygurds......a good aaa light is worth more to a man than the finest German woman's Spaetzle. I believe there's room for both in a man's life. I'm going to drink some more water and then use my moon mode E01 to illuminate the floor so I don't step on any ill placed shoes or bump into any ill placed doorways. I've never tried spaetzle.

nbp

Flashaholic
The biggest gripe with my E01 challenge is that it's too bright for puddling around the house in the dark. :/ I like a T1A usually for that purpose which goes low low low low.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should make the chapstick diffuser nbp. Electrical tape around the sides cuts the light even more and also keeps it from pouring back towards you. Works perfectly.
The biggest gripe with my E01 challenge is that it's too bright for puddling around the house in the dark. :/ I like a T1A usually for that purpose which goes low low low low.

nbp

Flashaholic
You should make the chapstick diffuser nbp. Electrical tape around the sides cuts the light even more and also keeps it from pouring back towards you. Works perfectly.

I should try that. I buy fancy organic cold pressed lip balm with oval tubes though, they'll never fit! Lol. I'll have to ask all my female friends. ;)

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
NBP you ever get around to a chapstick diffuser? Well I'm starting a new E01 challenge. This time I'm going to use strictly E01s until the Peak Eiger level 2 that I ordered arrives. I'm hoping it's here by Saturday but there's no guarantee. I had Peak build me up an Eiger to basically be an E01. Single output and around 10 lumens but it will be with an XPG3 led and in stainless steel. Until the new steed arrives it's Old Faithful. Single mode twisties have my heart. And this new challenge starts.........NOW!!!!
I should try that. I buy fancy organic cold pressed lip balm with oval tubes though, they'll never fit! Lol. I'll have to ask all my female friends. ;)

nbp

Flashaholic
No I didn't. I was pretty pleased with the steel wool trick so I just left it at that. :)

mbw_151

Enlightened
I don't seem to be able to find my E01, but I want to play. Can I use my Titan-A if I promise to only use the low?

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hold on there just one second mbw.......if I couldn't find my E01....the last thing I would be worried about doing is PLAYING. Sir you need to hop on Amazon and have your favorite colored shipped your way PRONTO! :thumbsup:

I don't seem to be able to find my E01, but I want to play. Can I use my Titan-A if I promise to only use the low?

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
The little E01 just helped with a dishwasher repair. Lit up the inside of the machine just fine. The challenge continues to not be much of a challenge but fun nonetheless. I have an irrational love for me E01s.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed Nascar. Although I am going to put my love to the test with a few Peak AAA lights I have incoming. I know they have as loyal a following as any of the other legendary lights so I'm curious to see how I like them in comparison. I have an Eiger now but it's QTC and the single mode that I had them make me will be more of a direct comparison.
My E01 is probably my most used and favorite light for quite a few reasons.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
More E01 shenanigans. Tried another sharpie mod with my yellow\gold E01. Wanted to try and get a more neutral tint than the blue stock and the super warm that I did previously. Here is a side by side beam shot. The little bit of greenish that shows up in the middle light can't really be seen in real life and it's a nice middle ground between the other two. The far right is what I use for middle of the night lighting either by itself or with a chapstick diffuser. Love these lights :)
image by Six Pound Cat, on Flickrimage by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

Flint Hills

Newly Enlightened
More E01 shenanigans. Tried another sharpie mod with my yellow\gold E01. Wanted to try and get a more neutral tint than the blue stock and the super warm that I did previously. Here is a side by side beam shot. The little bit of greenish that shows up in the middle light can't really be seen in real life and it's a nice middle ground between the other two. The far right is what I use for middle of the night lighting either by itself or with a chapstick diffuser. Love these lights :)
image by Six Pound Cat, on Flickrimage by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

Cool! Can you explain how you did these?

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sandpaper to diffuse the beam and then a brown brush tipped Sharpie marker. Just a tiny bit and then wiped off for the middle light and loaded it up on the light on the right.