the electric car and truck thread hect bikes to

raggie33

*the raggedier*
there the future the teslas are now already beating race cars on the track that hve to be towed to the track the teslas show up by driving and beat many of the race cars. just imagine when we put a motor in eaxh wheeel hub..i have a crazy small battery powered tool that is strong enough to remove lug nuts. and everyday they make improvments

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
People leaving their homes less combined with development of high quality public transportation will hopefully greatly reduce traffic and eliminate the need for todays extensive street networks, with the rest being well served by small scale autonomous electric taxis or bikes. I dont go outside anyway if I dont have to but getting to work still requires a short drive and train ride, both of which I dont enjoy. Trains can be a positive experience but in Germany they are often over-crowded (especially considering the current situation) and unreliable. Also unhygienic, which is a problem generally with public transport.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cars in the future will be self driven they will also for the.most part travel in swarms reducing trafic congestion at intersections the swarms will timr thrm selfs to reduce other traffic at intersections

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, people dont like to hear it (especially the US with its car-culture) but gas powered vehicles, and even manually driven vehicles all together, will eventually be banned from public streets at last in 1st world countries within the next few decades. And its better that way, humans are horrible drivers.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Yea, people dont like to hear it (especially the US with its car-culture) but gas powered vehicles, and even manually driven vehicles all together, will eventually be banned from public streets at last in 1st world countries within the next few decades. And its better that way, humans are horrible drivers.
and there is way many parts in a eletric engine. not much more parts then a gas car has in its starter alone.. we used to have a guy here who had one.of the first ev cars he charged his wtih solar.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
People leaving their homes less combined with development of high quality public transportation will hopefully greatly reduce traffic and eliminate the need for todays extensive street networks, with the rest being well served by small scale autonomous electric taxis or bikes.
While this is a valid conclusion, the status quo in the United States has considerable inertia behind it and will remain rather car dependent for some time to come. Even if a critical consensus around densification could be magicked into existence overnight it would take many decades and the expenditure of considerable wealth to re-engineer the urban and suburban spaces in the US to realize.

cars in the future will be self driven
While no trivial volume of development is going into the field and it seems likely that autonomous cars will emerge in the future, this is not yet a certainty. Almost the entire industry - except an automaker whose name rhymes with "-esla" - is betting on LIDAR, which can deliver reasonably-accurate raw geometry to the navigation AI to provide short-range fine-scale visualization of the environment ... which has been relatively slow to hit requirements for capability and price. Everyone in the field is also realizing just how hard the problem is outside of the relatively predictable environment of the limited-access highway - seems the human brain has powerful visual-processing and visualization heuristics that billions of hours of data and machine-learning processing have yet to catch up with.

Should this future ever emerge, I expect the model to be more like aviation - the vehicles will be expensive and operations will be extremely regimented subject to strict certification requirements. I vert much doubt that you're going to be able to install sketchy suspension mods, "chip" a vehicle for better performance, or install smoked tail lights on such vehicles. Whether the maintenance follows an aviation model or not is uncertain, but I expect it to be more regulated than the present status quo.

Initially I expect ownership to be almost exclusively fleets - the purchase cost of the first generations will likely be so high that the only way to make usage affordable will be to minimize downtime and charge users by the hour/mile. Maintenance requirements might also be initially prohibitive as the likes of sensor calibration and the like eventually matures into something predictable that can be baked into more static processes, schedules, onboard diagnostics.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im waiting for the day of all-silent automatic E-cars you can call to pick you up whenever and wherever you want, with non-jolting electromagnetic brakes, active noise cancelling and integrated holographic multimedia systems for maximum travel comfort. No traffic jams, no noise, so stress. Jet get in, enjoy a movie, play a game or browse the web, and get out. You wouldn't even know you were in a car.

Of cause this largely means the end up private car ownership (as they would be too strictly regulated and expensive for most people) and things like car modding. Such cars would likely be state or city operated and paid for by taxes to keep them running or perhaps require a subscription fee for more exclusive or luxurious options.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
there is a guy on my street hus.mustang is so loud he rips thru at 3 am. wakes me up.i cant wait to see a tesla blow his doors off.ps the new ev hummer is so awesume google it youll love it

idleprocess

Flashaholic
When I bought my present daily driver in 2017 there was a dearth of BEV and EV-esque options in my price range.
  • BEV options were scarce indeed. The unsatisfying Nissan Leaf and the profoundly unsatisfactory Mitsubishi i-MiEV were about all that existed in my price range. The Tesla Model 3 had not yet been released by the time I bought and the trims available at launch were bumping up against base Model S prices. The Chevy Bolt wasn't available in my state at that time.
  • PHEV options were stark. Essentially the Volt was the only contender with almost enough EV range for my daily commute. All other comers had at most 20 miles maximum EV range which struck me as largely pointless compliance gaming. The BWM i3 REX was well out of my price range and had a bafflingly small fuel tank for the range extender.
Four years later the situation has improved, but it's apt to be some time until I'm shopping automobiles again. The major automakers are making serious efforts beyond compliance cars this go-round, although their efforts at public charging infrastructure have been phoned-in relative to Tesla's network. And as first-generation products we're seeing the usual bugs and growing pains.

I contemplated throwing down an interest deposit on the base level F150 Lighting, but such a monstrosity would likely not fit in my garage, I have no need for a full-size truck, all the interesting options would jack up the purchase price by a good >25%, and - possibly worst of all - the deposit would be held by a local dealer with whom I would have the displeasure of having to negotiate with regardless of my purchase decision.