The first LED flashlight to break the 400K Lux mark

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMG!:eek:oo: You mean that Maxablaster would extrapolate back to around 52,000,000 lux @ 1 meter, properly calibrated? My mind is spinning now as this is absolutely phenomonal!:twothumbs :bow::bow::bow:

Ra, I can't remember now but did you use the stock Thor reflector or did you make one yourself or use something aftermarket?

Well, I think we both know !! : Example: When we talk about 300K lux, we mean the luxreading at 1 meter distance. And 1 lux @ 1m equals 1 CP.. So 300K lux equals 300,000 CP..
However, some lights (defenitely Maxablaster) don't give their full potential at one meter, so they need to be measured from a bigger distance.. But after that, we (or at least I..) always recalculate the lux numbers
back to CP.. (lux @ 1m...)

1,000,000cp = 1,000,000lux @ 1m... = 10,000lux @ 10m... = 100 lux @ 100m... = 1lux @1000m... = 0.0000000000068 lux @ the moon..

But there is always a catch.. The calibration of your luxmeter is not a simple task due to the different color temperatures of the light sources..

Regards,

Ra.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMG!:eek:oo: You mean that Maxablaster would extrapolate back to around 52,000,000 lux @ 1 meter, properly calibrated? My mind is spinning now as this is absolutely phenomonal!:twothumbs :bow::bow::bow:

Yep, that's what I mean.. But I cannot measure Maxablaster at 1m, not only because it would fry my lux-meter, but also because at a distance that short, the entire reflector does not play along for a one spot measurement.. At 200 meters and further I can obtain a decent measurement..

Ra, I can't remember now but did you use the stock Thor reflector or did you make one yourself or use something aftermarket?

It's a super high quality, electroformed reflector by Melles Griot. The Thor stock reflector is useless for this purpose..

You can see and read it all in the Maxablaster threads..(signature below)
lets keep this thread on topic..

Regards,

Ra.

Last edited:

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using only the technology seen thus far I should be able to get a Tiablo A9 into the same territory as the DEFT-FTP. So say about 120K. The beam would be a little more pleasing though because it would have a larger field of view.

I'm already getting 121,000 lux with an A9 at 1.4 Amps by using an EZ900 die R2.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you make this new milestone with the same DEFT lens and Host as with the 400K mark?
No it was a slightly larger lens. That's why I have not changed the title to this thread. When I have a chance I am going to start a new thread for that particular light when I can get some beamshots to show. Been sick the past several days so haven't felt like venturing outdoors.

I'm already getting 121,000 lux with an A9 at 1.4 Amps by using an EZ900 die R2.
Hmm... well I was going by memory but I thought the A9 aspheric had been measured around 66k lux stock. Adding in the increases from both the overdrive and the increased intensity of the ez900 chip would not get it to 121K.:shrug: Do you have a link to someones test that shows what the stock one is capable of? If you're measurements are correct you can expect my setup to push that over 200K.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A9 uses an older Q5 LED. Not sure what the R2 has over it. But Even a 10% increase over Q5, then 22% for the 1.4 Amp driver, and 23% gain from EZ900 puts it at 109,000 lux. I got 108,000 with the Tiablo A9 body I built. My Custom build with big heat-sink, A9 head, 1.4A, and WH bin EZ900 does 121,000. That is measured with my CA813 meter.

IMG_7015.jpg

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A9 uses an older Q5 LED. Not sure what the R2 has over it. But Even a 10% increase over Q5, then 22% for the 1.4 Amp driver, and 23% gain from EZ900 puts it at 109,000 lux. I got 108,000 with the Tiablo A9 body I built. My Custom build with big heat-sink, A9 head, 1.4A, and WH bin EZ900 does 121,000. That is measured with my CA813 meter.
Wow you are absolutely right! Those are within range. What size lens does it have? I have an A9 that just stopped working on me a few months ago. I think it needs a new life.:D BTW have you found a steady supply of those ez900s yet?

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't. Waiting on Cutter to exhaust their EZ1000 supply, and hope they get some WH's on EZ900. You were right...I was lucky to get those. Did you ever test the ones I sent you? The lens on mine is just a stock A9 aspheric head. I just turned the body down for aesthetic reasons. I was after small size and got it down to 5.8 inches with an 18650 tube.

Last edited:

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Juggernaut brought up the issue of beam angle, the angle at which the beam leaves the reflector, if that's what you mean.

OK I still dont exactly understand though. I know what a beam angle is, and how it is measured using a standard optic or reflector. What I dont get is why the 2 sets of numbers, heck I dont even know what that little squiggle ~ is suppose to mean.

DM51

Flashaholic
Two posts containing links to DX items have been deleted. Just about the last thing I expected to see in this thread were references to such a disreputable supplier. :green: