The first LED flashlight to break the 400K Lux mark

Noctilucent

Newly Enlightened
Two posts containing links to DX items have been deleted. Just about the last thing I expected to see in this thread were references to such a disreputable supplier. :green:
Sorry for making you throw up in your mouth a little there, I didn't realize that referencing them [link removed - DM51] in a manner not in any way endorsing them as a supplier was such an affront to good taste.

So just to recap those two posts without any references to external sites:
In the first post vestureofblood pointed to one of the thick glass optics that are sometimes used in flashlights. The listing included a typical set of numbers such as "35mm, 5~90, 95% transmittance".
In the second post I replied by pointing to another such an optic as used in a flashlight with a variable beam angle which included photos of the assembly and beam differences at either end of the variable beam angle, noting that the two numbers refer to those two angles. As for the ~, it appears to be convention, but it may just as well imply that the angle does not vary linearly.

Last edited by a moderator:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
What an amazing thread & accomplishment, Michael. Thanks for blowing my mind (again).
Thanks Lux. I have actually gotten further in the same size light since then. I am just shy of 500K. It's the limit with the currently included technology. I was hoping to break through 500K before saying anything but it will not be possible until I move forward some other projects and that may be awhile.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well as amazing as it might seem I have managed to break the 500K cd barrier and then some. This is without increasing the size of the light! The light is a standard old DEFT with updated internals that incorporate some new technology I have been working on some of which will be seen in the soon to be released DEFT-edc LR. My new record is 574K cd or lux@ 1 meter. This represents an astounding achievement. For a bit of context remember that the original DEFT that blew the flashaholic world's collective minds was only about 150K cd. Without increasing the size of the light I have almost quadrupled the throw. Just a few tweaks and I will be breaking 600K.

I know that only a few of you will truly understand the gravity of this accomplishment but I wanted to keep everyone up to date. I'd like to thank everyone for their continued support of OMG Lumens which has made my research possible.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well as amazing as it might seem I have managed to break the 500K cd barrier and then some. This is without increasing the size of the light! The light is a standard old DEFT with updated internals that incorporate some new technology I have been working on some of which will be seen in the soon to be released DEFT-edc LR. My new record is 574K cd or lux@ 1 meter. This represents an astounding achievement. For a bit of context remember that the original DEFT that blew the flashaholic world's collective minds was only about 150K cd. Without increasing the size of the light I have almost quadrupled the throw. Just a few tweaks and I will be breaking 600K.

I know that only a few of you will truly understand the gravity of this accomplishment but I wanted to keep everyone up to date. I'd like to thank everyone for their continued support of OMG Lumens which has made my research possible.

Huge Congrats Michael!

Having an interest in throw, optics and of course your work,
I think saying this is an "absolutely phenomenal achievement" would be an understatement!

Truly amazing work and looking forward to the DEFT-edc LR :clap:

tgwnn

Parker VH

Enlightened
That's great news Michael. Is this something that could be retrofitted to existing DEFT's or will it be available for sale in the future. Simply amazing work!!

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazing!

I'm trying to wrap my mind around what a 500k beam would look like!

The closest thing I have is an XRE ez900 1.4a thru Ahorton p60 kit which is maybe 30k. .. I thought that threw..
500k wow!!

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks everyone.

That's great news Michael. Is this something that could be retrofitted to existing DEFT's or will it be available for sale in the future. Simply amazing work!!
This specific LE is not suitable as a retrofit. The old DEFT cannot handle it thermally. Not to mention that in my opinion the beam is too narrow to be useful so don't expect to see this in a product anytime soon. Something with similar performance is being worked on however. I don't know how long it will take to get it to market as there is still quite a bit of work to go on it. This new light is a no-expense-spared type of design and will be an ultra-premium light. Think the Bugatti Veyron of the flashlight world.

I really appreciate you sharing your work with us saabluster. Do you have an idea when the EDC LR will be released?
This week if all goes well. Will be a small batch. These take us a bit more time to create so the volume will not be as high as the regular DEFT-edc.

Diablo_331

Enlightened
So what will be the advantages between the new LR and the current EDC? Any price difference?

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened
I've been thinking could he be using a different been of the led in question? I was looking at the difference in binning and their is significant gains to be made with different binning configuration. Or am I thinking about this all wrong?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking could he be using a different been of the led in question? I was looking at the difference in binning and their is significant gains to be made with different binning configuration. Or am I thinking about this all wrong?
You are thinking about it all wrong. Sorry. This is not a binning difference it is the technology I developed that makes the difference.

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened
Hey thanks for setting me straight. Its nice to see a reply from the maker of the flashlight I am going to buy :).

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened
believe me I so wish I could, but I still got payments to make like everyone else. although I have been contemplating about getting a loan for like 3k. Then I can buy most of the lights I want. :sssh: But even if I did have the money he is not offering this model currently.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
FINALLY, I got a heads up email from Michael this time, and also just bought a LR model...but I don't see a separate thread about it? Should be interesting. What's the delivery time?

Latest posts