The great incandscent search - UK 2L, SF E2

Darell

Flashaholic
Aggghh! You guys are killing me!

I've got all the cool LED lights a guy could want (well, except the ones that haven't yet been invented) and now I need that ONE excellent high-powered incandescent to burn holes in the wall. This will be the light that sits parked most of the time, just testing the 123's shelf life. Then, when the next catastrophy comes, not only will I have LED lighting for years - but I I'll also have the brightest light in the neighborhood!

I've read the threads and narrowed it down to two (yeah, until I get the response that changes my mind with "hey, stupid - don't overlook X.")

The Surefire E2 & the UK 2L

What new, profound info can you tell me about one of these that'll sway me? I can get the E2 for about $55 delivered, and the 2L for about $30. For about half the price, I know the 2L is more than half the flashlight that the E2 is. But man, I'm a sucker for how nice the SF's look. I'm not taking either one diving or shooting - I just want a great light. ONE great light (yes, I'm aware that this isn't going to work - but you can't blame me for taking a stab at it.)

Go ahead - gimme what ya got. I am looking for a reasonably priced (and sized)light here, so for the time being, let's stay away from the HID lights and such.

Thanks,

artar

Enlightened
the E2 is a very good flashlight. I have mine now for 1 month. the first days played around with it and was impressed of its light output und design. But now, after 3 weeks, i look more realistic on it:
it puts out a lot of light, but it has not more than 10-15 meter reach.for me thats not usefull. the mag2aa with nexstar lamp throws more than 40 meters. and the UKE 2L will be much better in that.
i would take a UKE 2L.

Darell

Flashaholic
Thanks for the reponse artar. I've never heard anybody complain about the "throw" of the E2. Hmmm.

Doesn't it look sexy though?
smile.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
darell, I can hardly believe you asked that question !!
I feel like saying just sell all of your cool LED-lights, and buy a Maxa-Beam !!
mad.gif

But I won't.
smile.gif
I'll just calmly ask if you're specifying a small size light, or just one example of *something incandescent*. I mean, what is your maximum "reasonable size" ?

Between the two you mentioned, on looks alone, the E2 wins outright. After all, (according to you), you'll be looking at it more than using it ...... indeed !
shocked.gif

It's also very EDC sized. But soon, you'll want an M2. It will happen. I know ...

Overall, if you want to limit your incandescent purchases, get a SF 6P. Then you can convert it to a 6R, with the KR2 rechargeable kit. (KR2's B65 battery will power a 120 Lu P61 for 12-15 minutes.)
Also, maybe, the A19 body extender, adapting it to a 9P. That at least gives you 3 excellent models for a relatively small outlay. (That's *relatively* small, btw.)

Don't forget the Mag-Lite 3D as a torch worth looking at as an artwork.

Artar, can you give the surround/hotspot measurements of your E2 at say 10 feet - my E2 is still very good at 120+ feet.

lightlover

[Hey, everyone, darell wants "just ONE" incandescent torch, so that he can leave it "parked most of the time". Yeah, he actually said it - look, if you don't believe me, just read the first post in this topic.]
grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *something ridiculous ?:
darell, I can hardly believe you asked that question !!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I TRY not to open myself up to this much abuse very often - but I'm always looking for ways to give something back to the forum
grin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
I'll just calmly ask if you're specifying a small size light, or just one example of *something incandescent*. I mean, what is your maximum "reasonable size" ?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if I give you all the answers, you won't have anything to do! Well, I guess I'm looking for something in the "good fits-in-hand size and good size-to-power ratio." You know - like the E2 and 2L for example.
smile.gif
Something that can maybe use two new SF123's perhaps?

Don't forget the Mag-Lite 3D as a torch worth looking at as an artwork.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, well. I've got three of those already. It scares the ladies when I show up at parties with one of those in my pocket.

[Hey, everyone, darell wants "just ONE" incandescent torch, so that he can leave it "parked most of the time".
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh be quiet.

Good night guys. Way past my bed time now!

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
[Hey, everyone, darell wants "just ONE" incandescent torch, so that he can leave it "parked most of the time". Yeah, he actually said it - look, if you don't believe me, just read the first post in this topic.]
grin.gif
[/QB][/QUOTE]

RIGHT......& I want "just ONE" Viper so I can park it in my garage. I promise I'll never drive it, or sit in it, or.....???
I started out like you suggested on the "build on" system, but I went with the D2 & adapter to make it a D3 + all 4 lamps. I figured this would cover all the bases & I could still go the rechargable route.

Well my rechargable route went with a 8NX. The D3 looked lonely so I had to get the M3. Now the D2 needs the company of a M2. The group was getting so large it needed a leader.....Thus the 12PM. Which looked like a minature version of the UltraStinger ... hence I have the US. Sure I remember "just one torch"!!
roflmao.gif
Now it's "Just one MORE torch!!!"
xyxnervous.gif
DOES IT EVER END????????
xyxnervous.gif

MarcV

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
This will be the light that sits parked most of the time, just testing the 123's shelf life.

The Surefire E2 & the UK 2L
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Darell, I own both. Their light output is similar for civilian use, and the size is similar as well.

My 2L is in my sailing ditty bag for two reasons: no pressure 'on' switch, and water resistance. It replaced a Scorpion (the one you didn't mention) after I distorted a lens and discharged two batteries without knowing it. The E2 also could be discharged by pressure on the tail switch, though it would have to be constant pressure, not just one 'on click'.

My E2 is in the car console, inside a NiteIZE holster which should protect it from being accidentally turned on.

My Scorpion is in my briefcase. It's the one that actually gets used. Why? The rubber grip is nice, warm like the 2L instead of cold like the E2. The tail switch is easy to use in momentary or permanent mode. And the beam is focusable, wide or narrow.

They all have similar light output, identical battery needs, and similar uses.

In true CPF fashion, you need to purchase one (or more) of each and then post your opinions.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Why not get a G2? Then you could use the P61 lamp if needed!

The E2 is a fantastic light. It's tiny and has output.

I'd suggest the E2.

Al

artar

Enlightened
*something ridiculous ?,

at 2,5 meters distance from a wall the hotspot is ca 70-80cm and you can see a clear surround light of 5 meter diameter. You can compare the power of the surround light with a mag2aa (standard lamp).

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darell... I originally just focused on buying LED`s, primarily Arc`s. I`m still buying LED`s, but I have now also drifted into the world of Sure Fire flashlights.

It`s been pure hell. Sure Fire makes such a great flashlight, you can`t buy too many of them. It`s the Arc syndrome all over again in the land of incandescents!

I started out by buying three E2`s. One for myself and two to give as Christmas gifts to my two sons. I was so impressed with the E2 that:

(1) I bought three more, one for my wife and two for backup

(2) I`ve already put an order in for two E2e`s once the come out

(3) I`ve bought two M2`s and an M3 for myself, along with an M2 and 8NX for one of my sons going into law enforcement

(4) I just put an order in for an M6, and can hardly wait to get it

(5) And I know it will just keep going on and on and on....

I now carry an E2 all of the time, along with an Arc LE and two other Arc AAA`s in turquoise and green. (And I still have the Arc LS`s coming!)

Darell.... save yourself, if its not already too late. Don`t buy a Sure Fire flashlight! By not buying one, you will forever have an incomplete life, but you will at least be saved from an otherwise inevitable Sure Fire addiction for which there is no known cure.

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marc Veeneman:
Darell, I own both. Their light output is similar for civilian use, and the size is similar as well.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marc - Thanks for the excellent input. Nice to hear from a guy who has and uses both!

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Carpe Diem:
Darell... I originally just focused on buying LED`s, primarily Arc`s. I`m still buying LED`s, but I have now also drifted into the world of Sure Fire flashlights.

It`s been pure hell.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See? This is why you guys are killing me. I thought buying Arc AAA's as gifts was bad... but SFs? Yikes! I don't think I like anybody that much
smile.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by darell:
See? This is why you guys are killing me. I thought buying Arc AAA's as gifts was bad... but SFs? Yikes! I don't think I like anybody that much
smile.gif

Hey....I bought a Scorpion for someone for Christmas, but before I mailed it, I was able to find the LX at WalMart, so I sent that & kept the Scorpion.
thumb.gif
...He'll never know the difference, I'll enjoy the Scoripon, & we'll all be happy.
thumb.gif
BTW...I did send 2 extra sets of batteries. That should count for something.
grin.gif
TX

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by txwest:
Hey....I bought a Scorpion for someone for Christmas, but before I mailed it, I was able to find the LX at WalMart, so I sent that & kept the Scorpion.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brilliant move. I know exactly what you mean - I can't stand gifting great lights when the recipient won't know the difference.

Gandalf

Enlightened
Since I've owned both the SF E2 (about a year) and the UK 2L (about 8 years), I'd have to say the UK 2L would be my choice between the two. Both are excellent flashlights, but the UK 2L is nearly indestructible, and offers 3+ hours of burn time, at about half the price. Even leaving out the cost, I'd still pick the UK 2L. It's output is about the same as a 3D Maglite, with a good spot (and an annoying ring around it). The E2 can be too bright for some close up tasks, but the UK 2L offers a really bright light, in a small, lightweight package. But it's the extended burn time that really makes the difference, for me, at least. And the fact that the UK 2L is small enough to go into the front pocket of a pair of jeans. Plus, you won't have to worry about an expensive, attractive flashlight getting scratched up by your keys, etc. I've carried the same UK 2L in my pants pocket for about 8 years now. The lettering on the plastic case is almost worn smooth, but the light still works great.
It's nice owning both the SO E2, and the UK 2L, but my UK 2L gets used virtually every day, while my E2 is often left at home. Just my 2 cents worth
wink.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gandalf:
It's nice owning both the SF E2, and the UK 2L, but my UK 2L gets used virtually every day, while my E2 is often left at home. Just my 2 cents worth
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Gandalf. Don't sell yourself short - that's worth at least $2 or $3!

I'm seriously leaning toward...uh... BOTH now.
smile.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gandalf:
Since I've owned both the SF E2 (about a year) and the UK 2L (about 8 years), I'd have to say the UK 2L would be my choice between the two. It's nice owning both the SO E2, and the UK 2L, but my UK 2L gets used virtually every day, while my E2 is often left at home. Just my 2 cents worth
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am 100% in agreement with Gandalf about the 2L. I own and have used virtually all the lights mentioned in this thread, and after several months of experimenting and informal real life testing I have finally decided on the 2L as an indispensable every day and "what if?" light.

Darell made it very clear in his initial post that he wants a "what if?" light, one that sits "parked" until the next catastrophe".

That description narrows down the battery choice to lithiums, the most "parkable" of batteries. In a "catastrophe" (or any unforseen light-deprivation situation), both brightness and run time are very important along with small size, indestructibility and waterproofing. It's clear that none of the 2 Lithium "superbrights" fulfill all these criteria. It's equally clear that anything larger than a 2 x lithium is no longer a really compact light, which Darell clearly prefers as evidenced by his two choices.

There is only one flashlight that I've ever owned, used, heard about or read about that fulfills all these criteria, and that one is the 2L.

Since current technology makes any flashlight choice a compromise, the best way to choose is to clearly define your needs, find the closest match and also consider carrying more than one flashlight. I know that Brock feels this selective approach is important and he has mentioned it several times in his posts.

I agree with Darell that it's good to "park" your "what if" flashlights in a convenient place(s). I have several distributed aound my home and workplace. (No car; I live in a city where it's better to rent a car than own one). However I think that the most important place for such a light is on YOU. An absolute must for EDC!

Currently my EDC is the 2L, ASP TACLITE, INOVA x5, ARC AAA LE, and Photon II (the III can turn on in your pocket)

I'm a belt-carry fan, and I've found that the Galls H.A.L.O. case will hold a 2L AND an ARC aaa plus two 123 Liths.

I only use latest date Surefires or Duracell Ultra 123's for my critical lights. I also voltage-test them and will not load any liths under 3.25v. Those go to other uses. I also retest those batteries every couple of years and automatically replace them about every five years, regardless of that "10 year life". I also always carry a spare bulb. This is easy with the Taclite, but a slight pain with the 2L because it's a bulb/reflector combo.

A final note: one-hand operation is easy with the 2L because of the torque advantage granted by the quite small diameter body and the larger, conveniently ribbed bezel. A little (non petrochemical) lube will fix one with too much resistance, but I have rarely found that necesary.

Regards,
Brightnorm

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gandalf,
you say you prefer the UK 2L, but apart from the runtime issue, the rest of your post reads mostly about preserving the beauty of the E2 ......

Anyway, apart from the GM finish, the E2 (esp. when in HA3) is a tuff-enuff critter.

Brightnorm, the E2's waterproofness is understated - it'll survive a dunking with no problems, and some more too. (I wouldn't risk it at any depth though, that's the E2e's province.)

And guys, the E2 is a purebeam, and brighter, no ?
I mean, with a 3 hour runtime, the UKE 2L has to put out a lot less light.

Where did I see the photo of the two side by side, it was only a day or two ago ?

lightlover
smile.gif

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love stiring the pot......

Two lights that have not been mentioned, and I think deserve some attention are the UK Mini Q40 (dive version) aka UK 4aa (industrial version) and a new the guy, the Brinkman Legend LX.

The q40/uk4aa uses the same bulb (hence the same brightness) as the UK 2L but uses 4aa, (lithiums if you like) instead of 2-123. The advantage here is that in an extended catastrophe, aa batteries are easier to find
than 123. The q40 is slightly larger than the UK 2, but if "parked" size shouldn't matter.

The Legend LX is by far the brightest of the 4 lights at the expense of run time (about 65 minutes) versus the Q40 or UK2 of 3 hours.
The other nice thing is price of $20, so much less than the Surefire E2.

So strickly based on your parameters, the (parked and brightest) the Legend LX. But based on experience, the Q4o for runtime and flexability of power souces, followed by the UK2LE. The UK lights are at least as good as a 3d Maglight which should be more than enought light. Runtime is critical in a catastrophe.

For this particular application, I would choose the E2 last. Too expensive and not enough runtime. THe E2 is my EDC along with the Innova 5x and ARC LE on the keys

Darell

Flashaholic
Brightnorm, lightlover, and Mr. Bear -

You guys have done yourselves proud. Thanks for taking the time to think about this, come up with some great thoughts, and post your astute opinions. Lots to consider. A Li AA light is certainly something to consider in place of 123s. Yet the 2L is slowly pulling into the lead in my mind.

Latest posts