• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The HDSRB Project

thermal guy

Flashaholic
There you go! That looks great. 👍

Are you going with a reflector or something like a solid acrylic tir unit?

Last edited:

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
There you go! That looks great. [emoji106]

Are you going with a reflector or something like a solid acrylic tir unit?
So far I'm still sticking the plan of having reflectors made. Might cost more than TIR but if I'm only making 25 of these I want them to be as awesome as possible

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yes but I'm taking being able to clearly see at 100 yards. Not lux numbers. There's just no way the 250 can hit a target and light it up at 140 meters. According to "lux" numbers it does but in real world I'm thinking not. Could be wrong but would love to see a 250 Beamshot at that range.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes but I'm taking being able to clearly see at 100 yards. Not lux numbers. There's just no way the 250 can hit a target and light it up at 140 meters. According to "lux" numbers it does but in real world I'm thinking not. Could be wrong but would love to see a 250 Beamshot at that range.

I've actually walked it, measured it. You CAN see that far and well enough to spot an animal, tree, or person. Not significantly BRIGHT but you CAN see... but that's with a near neutral 250 or even the high noon. The 250 (within a hair) matches the throw of my Tomahawk 425 at that distance. The "cooler" tinted 250's don't do as well because the colors of objects blend together.
I ve not tried the 325 xpg3 out here yet.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
A stock 250 hds will throw well out to 140 meters?

Yes. As I mentioned it's not bright enough to "light it up" BUT you can see well enough to distinguish what you're looking at. That .09 miles point is the absolute max distance at which my eyes could see what's there. I tried to do a beamshot but the cameras sensor wasn't as good at seeing the light than what my eyes were.
Other factors are complete pitch black darkness
And NO OTHER lights visible whatsoever
Done in the countryside using woods/ forestry/ trees green, brown, gray colors.

In numbers it doesn't sound impressive but putting it up against a more powerful light and seeing it match the throw by a hair is what impressed me.

I don t want to incorrectly assume the reach of the beam with this modification but if the components are matched up nicely and (hopefully a mirrored reflector) i d be surprised if it didn't increase the throw significantly.
250, 325 NLT should reach the best, then high noon.

Please note that between the high noon and 250 (Navy Seal) there isn't enough difference in throw to tell without really looking hard.
I d be curious to know what the 250 Navy Seal came up with in numbers and what exact led batch it has because it's not the standard 6200 or so my eyes tell me.
Given that the 250 normally is on the cooler side, the 325 NLT would be a better gamble and while it isn't hi cri normal colors look fine for me and aren't too warm nor cool. If you want the higher cri then high noon while there are some left because my outdoors tests give all 3 of these more or less the same distance which is .09 mile max.... according to my methods of testing in addition that's with mirrored shallow orange peel reflectors and sapphire lenses.

Last edited:

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm watching this thread like a hawk! Hopefully not too much happens while I'm on the road the next two weeks, I really want one of these! :D