The Incandescent Tribute Challenge

jsmitty1967

Newly Enlightened
I was a bit late to this party but I have been on an ican kick lately so it was an easy test. Carried for better than a week:

20ueuzp.jpg

Conte

Enlightened
Hmm, I'm not sure I get it.
Can't say it'd be much of a challenge. I have an arsenal of work ready incans.

Sadly, I've been playing with LED's a lot lately for project builds sake.
However, my EDC is an incan.

Grumpyoldgit

Newly Enlightened
Hello all.My first post so be gentle.I can remember when incandescent flashlights were the only types out there and admit to still preferring them.A 3 or 4 cell maglite was mandatory,the issue 2 d rubber ever ready was useless ,back in the 80's.Mid 90's and running around behind a GSD playing grown up hide and seek had me looking at something light,Enter a peli supersabrelight with the silly clip fret sawed off.Lifetime warranty means I still have it.Fast forward to more modern times and my flashlight of choice was the peli 8040 M10We got issued batteries,Duracell industrials,so always stuck with D,C or AA typesIncandescent usually give a good burn time,5 hrs plus was always desirable.They are fixable,I have just drilled some zinc carbons out of a 20 yr old 3 cell maglite ,rebuilt the switch unit without the corrosion and battery goo and got it workin again,needs a new reflector as its more blue plastic than silver but they are still available.I do own LEDs,the light output is phenomenal, but burn time and a tendency to die without warning,especially when cold has me keeping them as pocket flashlights.I do have others,I found an old mid 1980's radio shack maglite 3c clone last night and got it working,which is what prompted me to join the forum,I was looking for info on the switch unit but couldn't find anything but I did find a few good articles on here.Anyway I will post pics eventually.

Conte

Enlightened
Man, I got a bunch of those plain blue mag reflectors kicking around. I wonder if they are worth the shipping cost to you.

LEDPunisher

Newly Enlightened
It'll be "The MarketPlace Challenge":

Participants have to spend at least one hour a day, every day, for a week, surfing the marketplace forum. Anyone who buys something during that week is disqualified.

I think we'd all fail that one!! :crackup:

Well, the things I'd buy to make a nice little incan you don't offer there, so I might be one of those that wins!

Have to rip apart that old dust-gathering 5,000W Carvin amp I have and custom work some thick tungsten filament, pop it into the speaker output bridged for a full 5,000W, and play the Star-Spangled Banner at maximum output just to see what happens! :D

Last edited:

Conte

Enlightened
Well, the things I'd buy to make a nice little incan you don't offer there, so I might be one of those that wins!

Have to rip apart that old dust-gathering 5,000W Carvin amp I have and custom work some thick tungsten filament, pop it into the speaker output bridged for a full 5,000W, and play the Star-Spangled Banner at maximum output just to see what happens! :D

Just hook it up to some bulbs and see what happens. just try to mind impedance with rigs like that.

LEDPunisher

Newly Enlightened
Just hook it up to some bulbs and see what happens. just try to mind impedance with rigs like that.

The amp is old enough that I wouldn't care about impedance if it ended up in a blow out. I've had this thing for 15 years and it's about time I upgraded to some of the more efficient amps that are just as loud at 2kW with the appropriate speakers. (I'm currently running OLD, OLD Cerwin-Vegas as primaries with oldskool Fishers as monitors.) It's so old that despite the power level, pawn shops only want to offer me $40 bucks for it and music consignment shops only want to offer $80. For what was a $3,000 amp.

I should've taken the name ElectronicsTorturer, now that I think about this. :D

bykfixer

Flashaholic
With Surefire chopping their incandescent lights from their lineup, we are at the end of an era. Let's pay tribute to the technology that brought us this far in the way we flashaholics know best, by shining lights in each others' eyes! Err, I mean, by using our flashlights!

This week's challenge is to carry any incandescent light of your choice. Use it exclusively!

Rules:
- Pick an incandescent light or lights.
- Post pictures.
- Stick to this light or lights exclusively for one week or more.
- Report back!
- NO LEDS ALLOWED!

m3t45lxlarge403.png

If you need a hint, any of these and more qualify: Maglite Mini, Maglite 6D, Surefire E1e, Surefire E2e, Surefire G2, Surefire 6P, Surefire M6, Streamlight Scorpion, Streamlight Stinger, Streamlight TL-3, Streamlight Strion. To head off any questions about the Surefire A2, you may only use it if you choose to take out the LED ring or promise really hard to never use the LED mode.

If you do not have an incandescent light you can buy one for $1 at Walmart, or you can choose to finally taste an incandescent Surefire in all its warm toasty glory. However, for some this is a great excuse to buy a new flashlight! A lot of dealers are closing out incandescent Surefires (check the MP), so now is a great time to finally try a Surefire incan.

The cheapest 6V incandescents that I can think of are the UK 4AA, Streamlight Propolymer 4AA, Surefire G2, Streamlight Scorpion, and Brinkmann Lithium (used to go by Maxfire or Legend LX, but is easiest to find by searching "Brinkmann Lithium"). And of course the Energizer Dolphin "6V Torch" and similar style that use the huge 6V batteries. Let me also make it clear, feel free to use any battery type or size you like.

Feel free to start this one week challenge late. Any incandescent light will do.

No LEDs allowed at all this week!!! After the wild success of The 5mm Challenge we are suddenly taking a sharp left out of the LED zone and entering the land of glowing tungsten. If your primary light goes out for any reason I expect you to pull out a backup incandescent light!!! Using LEDs under any non-emergency circumstance is not allowed.

Bonus points if you pick something unusual. More bonus points if you swap out your LED keychain light for a Maglite Solitaire!!!

Most importantly, post about your experiences. Share in the glory of the golden hotwire.

I think I'm up for it.

Not shown: A slew of Rayovac batteries and a Pelican M6 that was already my EDC.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Garsh,

I'm blushing here.
Thanks.

Is this the part where I thank my mom, God and all my family?

But I gotta admit something. Before reading this thread I had commited myself to a 2 week pocket torture test of PK's newest one the PR-1.

Pocket contents.

Week 1 and so far-so good.

So this time next week I'll pocket torture a solitaire and pull a 1aa duracell out of retirement for backup.

Edit: just fired up that little 1aa Duracell and it makes my jewel thief lights look bright. So...I'll pocket carry

This little dude...
A mini TL-122D knock off.

Sucker is pretty bright with a new 222.

And this little guy...

Also got a fresh 222.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In anticipation of taking the challenge next week I rotated out a couple of LED lights in my work truck.

Gone is an LED mini mag.
In it's place the fake TL-122D 2aa. The coin cell clip on incan light was already there for 2am plan reading.

Arms reach in a hurry light swapped too.
A Lux-Pro slide focus replaced by a Pelican M6.

Not shown, in the driver door another LED mini mag was swapped out for a Brinkmann Legend 2aa.

Also not shown a 2D mag was swapped out for a hotwired 2C using 2-18500's and a 4 cell bi-pin.

I have an intrinsically safe old Burgess waiting at the post office (from Isreal of all places) to swap for my NightStick duo light as well.

Truck is ready...what's next?

Bedside night stand...

These babies are the usual plus some others.

The TL2, Alpha and G2x Pro will go in a drawer.
Nearby in case of emergency, but not in reach without effort...

The gap is where they usually reside.

Not shown but hopefully here by next Thursday..

The Brinkmann MaxFire LX.
(Found 3 nip for $15 shipped)

Got these spiffed up for evening walks...

3 D Burgess Range Finder, 2D Bond focus beam and 2C Olin safety light.

And if worse comes to worse...

All of these work and have batteries.
An assortment of Burgess, HIPCO, Kwik-Lite, Fultons and Duo Tint with a working Hong Kong made poj Terra.

Any LED solitaires hanging on nails and hooks throughout my home will get incan mini mags that now reside in various places nearby said nails and hooks....

Edit:
Burgess miners light arrived from Isreal.
Woohoo!. Glad to know Hamos didn't blow up the post office before it shipped.

1930-something bake-lite
Night Stick out, Burgess in.
If it aint bright enough I have a 3,cell Bright Light Coast Guard one as back up.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Alright, the challenge started today instead of next week.
The pocket torture test of PK's newest will resume in the 250 lumen challenge...

Todays lights are a Brinkmann Legend LX (with twist head focus) from about 2001 and a Rayovac Sportsman Jr from about 1963.

Tonights cholesterol lowering evening jaunt will include a Mag 4C using a 3Cell krypton bulb for me and an 18500 powered 2C with 4cell bi-pin bulb for the wife.

We'll have a Brinkmann Tri Max (3aa) and a Legend 2aa as backups.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Day 3:
First day back at work;

Around the house was easy. But for work I'm so used to having lots of lumens in a pocket light.
Solitaire replacing a Microstream was easy. But what if I need sure enough bright?

That changed things from the usual. Instead of a bright one in a pants pocket it's a much bigger pair of lights...a Pelican 2320 and a boosted Mag ML25 2C.

Edit: and now a Brinkmann MaxFire.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welp today is the last day of nothing but incan lights.

General use was easy. But I really missed those mini sized pocket lights with enough lumens to compete with daylight.
On a couple of incidents I had to walk to my vehicle to grab a 2 cell 6 volt number as I knew a solitaire or Sportsman Jr, or 2aa penlight would not light the shadow needing to be lit.

A few times I just squinted like the days before discovering lights like a Microstream.
Today I did not carry a pocket light.

Next...the 250 lumen challenge... starting tomorrow.