The latest-greatest Malkoff M61 is 425 lumens and 600+ lumens on two Li-Ions

If you can picture M91 - not the "T", the older circa 2010 M91 that was all flood and zero throw - I had one, did not like it and M91T, which has a hot hotspot and little to no spill - this M61 v2.0 is a marriage between the two. It's much floodier than M61T, M61HOT and M91T but not so floody as the old M91, kind of in between and of course half as bright.

I really like the way you describe the dropins. it helps enough to understand the beam without even seeing a beamshot.

Are the new m91 also just flood?

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Yeah, M61 v2.0

Quick nomenclature question, by 2.0 do you mean the most recent version with the dot? If 1.0 is the green board, what are you calling the silver board version without the dot that came right before the most recent version?

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
I would imagine that if the diameter of the reflector was increased (is that what you're asking?) you'd have to increase the depth of it to get the same focus.
P
Yep, that's what I was asking. Thanks for putting it so clearly :)

It makes sense what you say. Are all the M61 dropins still like this, ie don't use all of the available space for a reflector, but choosing a reflector with a smaller diameter?

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Yep, that's what I was asking. Thanks for putting it so clearly :)

It makes sense what you say. Are all the M61 dropins still like this, ie don't use all of the available space for a reflector, but choosing a reflector with a smaller diameter?

I've got few Malkoff drop-ins and all of the M61 (and M31, M91) dropins have all had the same reflector. Like Peter mentioned, the T versions and the M60 (and M30) drop-ins do not have a reflector.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick nomenclature question, by 2.0 do you mean the most recent version with the dot? If 1.0 is the green board, what are you calling the silver board version without the dot that came right before the most recent version?

I would think it would make sense to call the green board M61 XP-G, and the silver board M61 XP-G2 since that is the only variation between the two I'm aware of (the emitter).

I have examples of XP-G and XP-G2 M61 drop-ins, but I've never measured them for variations in driven current.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think it would make sense to call the green board M61 XP-G, and the silver board M61 XP-G2 since that is the only variation between the two I'm aware of (the emitter).

I have examples of XP-G and XP-G2 M61 drop-ins, but I've never measured them for variations in driven current.

I see your point. IMO, M62 is entirely appropriate. To differentiate it from the original M61 that's almost 10 years old by now. well, Eight years.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using the new M61 for a few days, extensively, paired with the Malkoff MD3 body and latest greatest Panasonic 2000mAh 18500 cells.

The runtime is greater than I expected and the performance has grown on me, it's nice. It's creamy smooth without any abrupt patterns in the beam unlike the earlier M61 that's more or less a donut The lumens are somewhere between 425-500, not sure precisely because the pattern is unlike any other light I have, so I have nothing to compare it to.

One advantage of the MD3 body with M61 is that you can run it off 3x123 cells if you must, unlike for example the 18650 Hound Dog, which can only tolerate the low mode on primaries. or if you OK with 20 minutes on high on primaries.

I think my previous 18500s were so old that the runtime went to almost zero this is why this new pair of Pannys seems to nice.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be good if you did take those measurements. Lots of info there.

Bill

Agreed. I will try to do that soon. It's not going to be an apples-to-apples comparison, as the XP-G M61 I have is the original 5000K M61W, and the XP-G2 M61 will be the 4000K M61N.

It should still be a relevant comparison, however. The 5000K XP-G has always appeared brighter to my eyes, but that could just be due to how I respond to the tint difference. I would still expect a XP-G2 to be more efficient than an XP-G though, tint considered.

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK guys. Here are the results of various M6XX modules I have on a Sanyo 18650 @4.06V:

M61W XP-G (5000K, circa ?): 820 mA

M61N XP-G2 (4000K, circa 2014): 680 mA

M61LL XP-G2 (6200K, circa 2014): 160 mA

M60F (?): 720 mA

Thoughts? My only thought is that now I know why that old M61W XPG is noticeably brighter than the M61N XP-G2. So, with this new run of M61s, are we looking at a new version, or just an increased current level? After all, we know Gene has been using various currents for these modules, depending on the emitter used and output desired, all along.

I will duplicate this test with 2x18650 this evening to see if there are any surprises at a higher voltage level.

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was a while ago. As I understand it, that was Gene's first foray into anything other than cool tints. I'm the second owner of that module so I can't nail it down, but I would think you're pretty close. I'm sure your records are better than mine since my first Malkoff purchase was in 2014!

That's by far my favorite Malkoff module, and it's certainly impressive considering its age.

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to see the results with the latest-greatest one and on 2 cells.

Me too. Unfortunately I don't have one.

Here are the currents @8.32V:

M61W XP-G (5000K, circa 2011ish): 470 mA

M61N XP-G2 (4000K, circa 2014): 430 mA

M61LL XP-G2 (6200K, circa 2014): 130 mA

Oddly, the older XP-G module started at 550mA and fell to 470mA in about 5 seconds, but I didn't note any change in output. The other two didn't act this way. They were at the stated current initially and remained there.

OK guys. Here are the results of various M6XX modules I have on a Sanyo 18650 @4.06V:

M61W XP-G (5000K, circa ?): 820 mA

M61N XP-G2 (4000K, circa 2014): 680 mA

M61LL XP-G2 (6200K, circa 2014): 160 mA

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Having owned the newest version of the M61 for a few weeks, as a CR123 user I have to say that I prefer the previous version. I generally do not need that much light (especially from a single mode, since I have it in a 6P) for day to day tasks, and prefer the added runtime. That being said in a light with a rechargable in it, the newest version is totally fine.

In all honesty, the people saying they were going to "upgrade" their lights by adding the nick with a dremel might actually be killing a sale from me. If I already did not have a stockpile of M61s I would likely be seeking to trade the newest one for an older version.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
So from the other thread, on 2 cells, the M61 v2 is circa 525 lumens. 600 is optimistic but 525 is still impressive.

I decided to keep both, new and old.

The old one has these advantages:
* Runs cooler
* Longer runtime
* Better tint

Disavantages:
* Donut profile beam
* Less bright

The new one has a much smother beam without holes in it. The lux is just a bit higher, i.e. the hotspot is just a bit hotter (6K versus 5K) so I think the majority of lumen increase goes into the spill. M61 T for comparison is 10K, M61HOT is 15K and the Hound Dog is 29K, so it's hard to notice 1K increase.
The lumens are not lost, they are contributing to the overall smooth picture.

A light worth getting but don't sell your old M61 just yet.

dhunley1

Enlightened
My new M61 that I received Saturday does not have the little nick below the engraving. I can see the difference in brightness compared to my 325 lumen E2 head and I think the tint is a bit nicer on the M61.

Latest posts