The "Life's most important questions" thread...

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Am I the only person in CPF to have watched The Strain?

..season 1 finale this weekend

bestellen

Newly Enlightened
The thought came to a certain king that he would never fail if he knew three things. These three things were
  • What was the right time for every action?
  • Who were the most necessary people?
  • What was the most important thing to do?
Many educated men attempted to answer the king's questions, but they all came up with different answers. The king decided that he needed to ask a wise hermit in a nearby village. The hermit would only see common folk, however, so the king disguised himself as a peasant, left his guards behind, and went to see the hermit. The hermit was digging flower beds when the king arrived. The king asked his questions, but the hermit went on digging rather laboriously. The king offered to dig for him for a while. After digging for some time, the king again asked his questions. Before the hermit could answer, a man emerged from the woods. He was bleeding from a terrible stomach wound. The king tended to him, and they stayed the night in the hermit's hut. By the next day the wounded man was doing better, but was incredulous at the help he had received. The man confessed that he knew who the king was, and that the king had executed his brother and seized his property. He had come to kill the king, but the king's guards had wounded him. The man pledged allegiance to the king, and he went on his way. The king asked the hermit again for his answers, and the hermit responded that he had just had his questions answered.
  • The most important time is now. The present is the only time over which we have power.
  • The most important person is whoever you are with.
  • The most important thing is to do good to the person you are with.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am tired of the b.s. that "all we have is the present"! If you don't sow seeds and plan, you starve tomorrow. ... Your future present does depend on the current present.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I am tired of the b.s. that "all we have is the present"! If you don't sow seeds and plan, you starve tomorrow. ... Your future present does depend on the current present.

There's no time like the past to give yourself a present, no time like the present to give yourself a future..

StarHalo

Flashaholic
"Why didn't everyone drink? Alcohol makes everything big, it is a wind blowing through your consciousness, it is crashing waves and swaying forests, and the light it transmits gilds everything you see, even the ugliest and most revolting person becomes attractive in some way, it is as if all objections and all judgments are cast aside in a wide sweep of the hand, in an act of supreme generosity, here everything, and I do mean everything, is beautiful.

Why say no to that?" - Karl Ove Knausgaard, My Struggle, Book 4

TEEJ

Flashaholic
How bout.....All we have is the present to prepare for the future.

~ Chance

I DO think that all we have is the present....and that's all we had in the past, and its all we'll have in the future.

We are only IN the present.

That DOESN'T mean that, IN the present, that we didn't HAVE a past or future...we know we did, and, will. So, buying some seeds, planting them, watering them, weeding, harvesting, etc...can ONLY be done in the present...but we're not so stupid, hopefully, to not use the present TO plant the seeds, etc...knowing that in the future, one day, which will BE the present then...we can eat the harvest, etc.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
We start now, to create our future.

That is as true today as it was a 1000 years ago. And will be as true in a 1000 years from now, as it is today.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
We start now, to create our future.

It used to frustrate endlessly that all of life seemed to be preparing to get ready to prepare for everything else, but it's a very powerful piece of information to have, to know that each moment sets up the next; this can give you a significant edge in every area of life..

TEEJ

Flashaholic
It used to frustrate endlessly that all of life seemed to be preparing to get ready to prepare for everything else, but it's a very powerful piece of information to have, to know that each moment sets up the next; this can give you a significant edge in every area of life..

If only you had said that in the past....

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Especially if time is a critical factor,,

what is the current definition of 'being vigilant' in our world?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have so many interests and hobbies I don't even have time to explore everything I want to with all the 'need to do' stuff life entails. I can't remember the last time I was truly bored and it baffles me when I talk to people who tell me they are bored all the time. 🤷
We only have so much time before our last breath. How do you want to use it?
Pleasure? Posing? Building? Growing?