The longest throwing LED flashlight in the world (part 4)

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Michael, Just wanted to post publicly and thank you for my case that was back-ordered and express how impressed I was at the quality of those pelican cases.. .looks like you could drop it out of a plane and the light would survive!

I don't know how you got the detailed cutting done inside so that everything fits perfect, but it shows your an addict to detail.

You must have some good reading glasses and a loupe! :p

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been playing with my DEFT recently, and when using it, the halo isnt really noticeable.

I gotta say, using the MC-E with the normal lens is quite fun.
I was wondering what your final decision on that was. Glad to hear it working well for you. Was your MC-E one of the frosted ones? How do you think it does with the smooth lens?

Michael, Just wanted to post publicly and thank you for my case that was back-ordered and express how impressed I was at the quality of those pelican cases.. .looks like you could drop it out of a plane and the light would survive!

I don't know how you got the detailed cutting done inside so that everything fits perfect, but it shows your an addict to detail.

You must have some good reading glasses and a loupe! :p
Thanks for the feedback. Pelican makes some darn nice cases. Getting it to fit the DEFT is not as hard as you might imagine as it is the pick-n-pluck foam. That helps to give us straight lines to follow.;)

fiftycalibre

Newly Enlightened
I was using it with the smooth lens. Funnily enough, its just like having 4 R2s right next to each other :p

Not as much throw as the R2 of course, but it still throws quite well. Its more useful for impressing friends than the R2. I havent tried it with the diffused lens yet. Havent really had enough time to yet :mecry:

jsholli

Newly Enlightened
sure would like to get me hands on a deft sounds like a keeper!!! you never see one up for grabs. anybody???

True; I saw one on the B/S/T forum a week or so ago and couldn't believe it. :huh:

Michael is going to start producing a model called a For The People model or FTP---it is supposed to have much shorter wait times and might be a little more affordable, too. I thought he said to watch for a dedicated thread to the FTP model in days to come [likely after the new year at the ealiest].

See post #39:
The new DEFT-FTP will not have any wait time and be much cheaper
Look out for a new thread on that fairly soon.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Last edited:

fhenixlynx

Newly Enlightened
True; I saw one on the B/S/T forum a week or so ago and couldn't believe it. :huh:

Michael is going to start producing a model called a For The People model or FTP---it is supposed to have much shorter wait times and might be a little more affordable, too. I thought he said to watch for a dedicated thread to the FTP model in days to come [likely after the new year at the ealiest].

See post #39:

Happy Holidays everyone!
will this light the FTP HAVE THE OUTPUT OF THE DEFT? JUST CURIOUS.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know there will be several differences between the FTP and the enthusiast version, but we don't have the final details yet...

I'm sure saabluster could answer these questions better, but he is out of town. From what he has relayed to me via email, he finished the first production DEFT FTP right before he left. He was very happy with its performance. It outperforms the original DEFT.

The final price has not been set but it will be very close to $200.

Hope this clears things up.

MustardMan

Newly Enlightened
I'm hoping someone will post an update in this thread when the FTP version becomes available - it looks like exactly what I want in a light, and the price can't be beat, but I don't check CPF all that often, so it would be nice to know through my thread subscriptions. Looking forward to this light, BIG TIME!

fhenixlynx

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure saabluster could answer these questions better, but he is out of town. From what he has relayed to me via email, he finished the first production DEFT FTP right before he left. He was very happy with its performance. It outperforms the original DEFT.

yes it does,been following that new Olight at 2200 lumens which looks and sounds good but will the DEFT FTP in your opinion out throw the new Olight as i am looking for the best thrower thanks

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a fun light... .just think of a really really fat laser beam!... so much so that its hard to use as a normal light... thats why the diffuser lenses are a good balance if you also need a normal flashlight.

35 cent

Newly Enlightened
I really want this flashlight, please let me know when it is available.

fhenixlynx

Newly Enlightened
like christmas all over again this waiting for santa to bring a new light(DEFT FTP) is driving me crazy!!!! just got to have one!!!!!!! better half keeps asking what is it about you and your light fetish she just does not understand HA HA!!

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Michael, I'm still waiting for the HID version!.... How about an 80W HID DEFT?????

I'd like to roast wieners from 300 yards please! :devil:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it makes anyone feel better, at about 200 yards, the existing DEFT "although a much smaller footprint" is brighter than a 80W HID except right in the very center of the hotspot of the HID.....

In other words, it holds its own!

I don't want to fantasize too much and throw cold water on the existing DEFT.... but considering the light source... now that Michael has the basic structure down, as light LED Intensity continues to increase, the possibilities of the DEFT exponentially rise "since the beam is so concentrated".

I think joking once I mentioned and HID DEFT and seems the reflector would be so different from a light source "bulb" that emits in all directions it would be a whole new rebuild and much larger housing with tons of heat issues.

I think we need to stick to the more efficient LED sources... they are getting pretty impressive here lately!

But there is something in me that would love to play with an HID DEFT regardless of the size or weight! :D

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for relaying that info for me Crafty;)

yes it does,been following that new Olight at 2200 lumens which looks and sounds good but will the DEFT FTP in your opinion out throw the new Olight as i am looking for the best thrower thanks
As corny as it sounds it's not how many lumens you have it what you do with them that counts. The Olight will not throw anywhere near as well as the DEFT. But it's apples and oranges really. Two very different lights with different uses.

I'm hoping someone will post an update in this thread when the FTP version becomes available - it looks like exactly what I want in a light, and the price can't be beat, but I don't check CPF all that often, so it would be nice to know through my thread subscriptions. Looking forward to this light, BIG TIME!
Will do.

I really want this flashlight, please let me know when it is available.
I can add you to a notification list I have put together. Just PM me your email address and I will add you.

Michael, I'm still waiting for the HID version!.... How about an 80W HID DEFT?????

I'd like to roast wieners from 300 yards please! :devil:
It's never enough is it Windy? I only do LED. ;)

Damn...I missed out. :confused:

I knew I should have jumped on the band wagon right at the beginning.
Well you certainly missed out on the carbon fiber version but a revised DEFT will be out shortly so stay tuned.