The longest throwing LED flashlight in the world (part 4)

jsholli

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to Lux's great review and silicon oven mits my frosted lens is installed, and I LOVE IT!!!

Thank you, Michael, for OMG Lumens' DEFT #54 lovecpf

BTW: my wife was sick of me moping around since I missed the mail on Saturday and had to pick mine up this AM...she still thinks I'm crazy, but at least everybody is happy now ;)

eddyg

Newly Enlightened
Woo-hoo! My DEFT arrived this morning! :twothumbs

saabluster said:
eneloop or Duracell LSD NiMHs AAs work in the DEFT but can be tight.
I think "tight" is a bit of an understatement!

Against my better judgement, I pushed in the battery holder with 4 Eneloops (it was really tight fit) and now I can't get it out to charge them up. :awman:

I've tried everything I can think of but can't come up with any way to get the battery holder to even budge! Help?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have mentioned that you may have to align the part of the battery cover that overlaps so that it does not face out. Even the small amount of room that overlap takes up can make a difference. I have been in a similar situation as you are now in however and I was able to use needle nose pliers to grab the edge. Problem is I don't know how hard you had to push to get it in and therefore how much force it would take to get it out. I have a box full of fifty lights that I decided not to sell because they were too tight of a fit for the eneloops. My absolute cutoff was that you had to be able to turn it upside down and shake it to get the battery holder to come out. We even started beveling the inside lip to help keep it from cutting into the batteries outer layer. Have you tried a good hard downward shake to get it to come out the bottom?
Woo-hoo! My DEFT arrived this morning! :twothumbs

I think "tight" is a bit of an understatement!

Against my better judgement, I pushed in the battery holder with 4 Eneloops (it was really tight fit) and now I can't get it out to charge them up. :awman:

I've tried everything I can think of but can't come up with any way to get the battery holder to even budge! Help?

eddyg

Newly Enlightened
I have been in a similar situation as you are now in however and I was able to use needle nose pliers to grab the edge. Problem is I don't know how hard you had to push to get it in and therefore how much force it would take to get it out.
:stupid: I had to use a lot of force -- as I was doing it, I figured I would be able to un-screw the head and push it back out through the top. (I was just in too much of a hurry to try out my new toy!)

The good news is that I did get the battery holder out last night. I took my light over to a friend who has a pretty extensive set of tools. We tried a bunch of stuff (including long, thin needle-nose pliers) but it was just way too tight to "grab" and pull at the same time. Eventually we used two dental pick-like tools with a hook on the end to get under the lip of the battery holder and force it out.

I have a box full of fifty lights that I decided not to sell because they were too tight of a fit for the eneloops. My absolute cutoff was that you had to be able to turn it upside down and shake it to get the battery holder to come out. We even started beveling the inside lip to help keep it from cutting into the batteries outer layer. Have you tried a good hard downward shake to get it to come out the bottom?
Maybe my Eneloops have a slightly larger OD than others, because there is no way that the battery holder will slide in and out, at least in my DEFT. Even if I carefully align the seams of the Eneloop labels so they all face inwards, I can push down the holder 3/4ths of the way in to the body and shake like crazy and it doesn't budge -- not even a little bit!

Do you know if there is enough material on the inside of the body to bore it out a bit? If so, I may contact wquiles (who does a lot of custom lathe work) and see if he can bore it out so I can use Eneloops... that or just use Lithium AA's...

In any case, after we got the Eneloops out, it was plenty dark out so I put in some regular alkalines and played around for a few minutes... and let me just say... the DEFT is amazing! :eek: :thanks:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Michael, please add me to the list for the DEFT-FTP if there is any? Sent you a PM. Thanks!
Got it.

Do you know if there is enough material on the inside of the body to bore it out a bit? If so, I may contact wquiles (who does a lot of custom lathe work) and see if he can bore it out so I can use Eneloops... that or just use Lithium AA's...

In any case, after we got the Eneloops out, it was plenty dark out so I put in some regular alkalines and played around for a few minutes... and let me just say... the DEFT is amazing! :eek: :thanks:

Oh the irony. Will lives like ten minutes from me. I'm sorry yours is so tight. It's very strange because I test every light with duraloops to make sure they will fit and to test the driver output. There is enough metal to take some off so you can fit even the really fat NiMHs.

Potatoes

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I signed up just to get one. Please advise how I go about doing so.

Thanks.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I signed up just to get one. Please advise how I go about doing so.

Thanks.
Go to omglumens.com and use the contact page to send me a message with your email address and I will add you. Keep in mind that the purchase function has been disabled so there's no point in trying that. We will handle it through email. Thanks.

Hi wanted to confirm i was on the list for DEFT FTP. thank you Jim.
Yes I do in fact have you down. :thumbsup:

fhenixlynx

Newly Enlightened
Go to omglumens.com and use the contact page to send me a message with your email address and I will add you. Keep in mind that the purchase function has been disabled so there's no point in trying that. We will handle it through email. Thanks.

Yes I do in fact have you down. :thumbsup:
:twothumbs

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Michael, can you confirm I'm on the list, also how many of us are likely to get in on the first 'batch' of these and when do you think the first batch will be ready to accept payment & ship?
Yes you are on the list but the list is already longer than the first batch. So you may have to wait for the next one.

The DEFT-FTP now has its own thread so lets continue any FTP related conversation over there. Thanks everyone!

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
:twothumbs

utf-8BSU1HMDEzNDUtMjAxMDA0MTAtMDkzM.jpg

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
:twothumbs​

I know you are the recent new owner of that one. What do you think? Does it meet your expectations? It's funny as I think back to making those Enthusiast models I am really glad I don't have to do those anymore.
They were a massive pain to make. Beautiful though. All I have left is a bezel for the Art light and one other one that got damaged before it got shipped. I'm glad I still have one for myself. Enjoy!

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
[/CENTER]

What do you think? Does it meet your expectations?

Enjoy!

I didnt know what to think, as this was my first aspheric light, except for a lenslight mini I used to own.

The light its self is gorgeous, I like looking into the aspheric with the glowpowder and the carbon fiber.

And performance wise, it exceeded my expectations. :faint:

This bad boy lights the trees (700-800ft) at the end of my block easily. :D

If I have one nitpick, it is hard to screw the bezel back on, feel like the threads could get crossed.

All in all, I am a very happy camper!! :hitit:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didnt know what to think, as this was my first aspheric light, except for a lenslight mini I used to own.

The light its self is gorgeous, I like looking into the aspheric with the glowpowder and the carbon fiber.

And performance wise, it exceeded my expectations. :faint:

This bad boy lights the trees (700-800ft) at the end of my block easily. :D

If I have one nitpick, it is hard to screw the bezel back on, feel like the threads could get crossed.

All in all, I am a very happy camper!! :hitit:

I could always trade you my buttery smooth aspheric mag threads for the DEFT.:devil:

I wish I new someone in Georgia that has one to check out. I'm jealous!

I do enjoy my aspheric mag for throw, even though it is not in the same league as this light.