The longest time you've been continuously awake?

J

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Re: The longest time you\'ve been continuously awak

About 81 hours when I was in college. The longest recently was 50 hours a few months back when I had a lot of work to get done. Besides going completely without sleep for long stretches I can do weeks of 3 or 4 hours sleep per night. When I get really busy, this comes in handy.

G

Greg

Newly Enlightened

Well, for me it's a common occurence of staying up at least 24 hours straight to study for upcoming tests and exams, as my school LOVES to schedule tests and exams really close together.

However, the longest I have ever stayed awake was close to 36 to 40 hours and the oddest thing was that when I got home, I couldn't sleep and ended up going to sleep at my normal time.

I do find that when I have studied for such a long time, that when I do try and study for another subject after being awake for so long that nothing sticks and it is just wasted time. But occasionally, you find that you just fall asleep while just sitting there because you are so tired.

I definately find that adrenaline and other stress hormones that run through you body can really keep you awake for a long period of time if the need be. It's actually kind of amazing what the body can do.

V

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

is it safe to assume that 80 - 85 is the maximum limit that a Human being can stay awake (working)....

The statistiscs show this.

For Normal Humans...: 20 - 30
More than Normal....: 30 - 50
Abnormal Guys.......: 50 - 70
Nerds/Military Guys.: 70 - 90

It just looks like this from the stastistics.

The_LED_Museum

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I'd have to guess somewhere near, possibly a bit over, 36 hours. This was back in the late-1980s and early-1990s when I was programming demos for the Commodore 64 computer. If I was onto something, I'd just say screw sleep and keep coding (in 6502 assembly language, you know, "CLI, LDA# $D021, STA $D020", SEI, PHA, etc.) until I finished that part of the program and had it running to my satisfaction.

I had a 96-line $D016 wave and a scrollie in my 1992 demo "TRANSITIONS/TDM" which was probably one of the ones I stayed awake for a long period of time coding it to get it right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm no longer "Mr. Indestructo Man", so I would not even think of it these days.

B

Bradlee

Enlightened

Wow, some of you have stayed awake for 70-80 hours?! I thought that permanent brain damage started after several days. (maybe this explains some things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

I guess my max is only 24H or so.

-Brad

C

cslinger

Enlightened

I've been up since 1983. Lots of coffee. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually I fall in the right around 65-72 hour camp. Back in Highschool due to some Wimin' problems.

Now a days I am in bed by 2300 usually and sleep till about 0700 so I get my 8 hours or more. I like sleep actually.

Chris

Lurveleven

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have no clue how long, I was too tired to count /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif At least over 40, maybe around 60. I guess I have to do an experiment when I get time, but now it is time for me to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif

My problem is that I do not catch up by sleeping 15-20 hours. I usually max out at 9 hours sleep if not before. Instead I feel like crap for a good while.

No hallucinations, but lack of consentration and bad cognitive and motoring skills. Has anyone else experienced that the rest of the body sleeps but the hearing is operative? You are sleeping but you are consciously able to follow what people are talking about. I find being really drunk or extremly sleep deprevated has much of the same ill effects. I think there are more accidents caused by tired drivers than by drunk drivers, something to think about.

Sigbjoern

ACMarina

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

56 hours, during a flood. Spend the entire time filling sandbags, stopped for pizza at 12 and subs at 36 hours. Slept for 8 hours and went back to school..

Been a few years, though, now. Don't like to do that stuff anymore if I can help it..

PlayboyJoeShmoe

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Oh yeah, I forgot one!

Several years ago (a 1988 F150 was a year old) my racing buddy and I got up at 5:30 am in Wilkes-Barre, Penn.

We got to the track and he got blasted (by mostly guys who raced there a lot of times).

At about 3:30 pm, we decided to try to make the race in Texas (NE Tex - Near Tyler sort of - Oak Hill Raceway) so we loaded up and boogied! All night and hit the gate at Oak Hill at 7:30 am. We did poorly there too and got home about 9:00 pm.

I guess that makes both of mine around 36 hours plus or minus...

idleprocess

idleprocess

Flashaholic

I've done 36-48 hour stretches a few times. Once during a short vacation that was cut shorter by car trouble, another at an all-night New Years' Eve party where I just didn't crash around 5 AM like everyone else, and another because I had insomnia during a hectic week of work and personal business (this has happened more than once).

I've never experienced visual hallucinations, but my sense of reality gets, uh, thinner during those times. I have had vague audio hallucinations. My mind wanders like mad and I'm easily distracted. If I have something to concentrate on, I can usually manage whatever task. Driving can do the trick. A sense of urgency helps to keep the mind somewhat sharp.

The really sickening thing is getting to sleep after that long stretch. Some describe it as being "too tired to sleep." I'd call it paranoia. Reality has begun to unhinge on you, and something is going to get you if you fall asleep. It's fun.

I agree that the hour after sunrise is tough - even if you've gotten enough sleep and are just, say, working overnight.

Whenever I keep late hours on "weekends" (I work 2nd shift, so turning in around 3-4AM is normal), I still try to get to sleep before sunrise. 'Can't completely fight the circadian rythm. I inevitably wake up a few hours after sunrise if I turn in just as the sky brightens and have difficulty sleeping.

I've done full weeks of 1-4 hours of sleep per night. Towards the end of the week, the sensation is similar to the last 8 hours of a 36-48 hour stretch.

The wierdness isn't worth it. I'd like to be able to trust my senses. The negative effects on my health aren't worth it either - I start feeling like crap in a vague sense after 24 hours, and it just gets worse as time drags on.

Tangential ... I've found there's nothing for auditory hallucinations like vaguely harmonic background noise while you're doing something else - often at night. This happens to me occasionaly when I've been depriving myself of sleep and I'm wering headphones and doing something at the PC. Usually it's the AC, but sometimes a combination of air rustling something and whatever I'm listening to will make my head "fill in the gaps" and trigger recognuition, followed by removing the headphones and straining to hear it then my skin crawling as I realize it was all in my head...

Er, anyway... the brain and body need sleep.

Icebreak

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Was writing a program on contract. You know, deliver or don't get paid. I had two weeks left to finish one of the modules.

Started 8:00 a.m. on a Monday morning. Got stuck on something Monday night. Found the solution about 4:00 a.m. Tuesday morning. Was on a role so I kept going. Tuesday day came and went. Meant to go to bed but the solutions were all coming together. 6:00 a.m. Wednesday the program was completed and tested. Drove to the site. Did the implementation. Headed home but stopped at the nieghborhood IHOP because I'd had nothing but coffee since Sunday. I was awoken by a waitress saying, "Are you alright?" Realized my forehead was on the newspaper before me. I think she thought I was drunk. Went home and went to bed at 10:00 a.m. Slept all day and all night until 6:00 a.m. Thursday. Thought it was 6:00 p.m. Wednesday. Felt great. Took a 4 day weekend.

4sevens

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast

I did 3 days straight once in college when I was working 3 campus
jobs while taking a full load of classes (never did it again), it was
finals week, I had finals to study for, papers to write, and tests
to grade.

I starting saying "huh" to my roomates are random intervals. I'd
imagine movement in the corner of eye and look to find nothing. It
really freaked me out. Finally after finals were over, I slept 25
hours straight.

Man that messed me up.

In high school I had a classmate stay up 7 days straight just to do it.
He was definitely hallucinating and he wasn't smoking anything.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C

Changots

Newly Enlightened

like 30 hours..i'm too good at sleeping to stay up anymore than that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

G

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Lurveleven said:
Has anyone else experienced that the rest of the body sleeps but the hearing is operative? You are sleeping but you are consciously able to follow what people are talking about. I find being really drunk or extremly sleep deprevated has much of the same ill effects. I think there are more accidents caused by tired drivers than by drunk drivers, something to think about.

Sigbjoern

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting, I find the exact opposite when I'm driving long stretches. The one way I know when I HAVE to pull over and catch a wink or do some jumping jacks is that I can still see but my hearing cuts out. Like the sound just goes away. And in that moment, I have no control over my physical body. Luckily, when it gets to that point, a head bob or road bump snaps me awake enough to do something about it.

Wilkey

G

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
ViReN said:
is it safe to assume that 80 - 85 is the maximum limit that a Human being can stay awake (working)....

The statistiscs show this.

For Normal Humans...: 20 - 30
More than Normal....: 30 - 50
Abnormal Guys.......: 50 - 70
Nerds/Military Guys.: 70 - 90

It just looks like this from the stastistics.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot the "roadies/AV types." They seem to be hitting the 80's with some regularity.

Wilkey

G

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Idle and Icey,

Great accounts!

Wilkey

X

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast

118 hours during some very weird mania. I wasn't working though. This was over 10 years ago and parts of it were absolutely cosmic while others were a nightmare. Once I'd gotten through it and recovered sleep wise I felt like I'd been dissassembled , scrubbed, oiled, upgraded, and reassembled. It was like supreme mental lucidity, really a spiritual experience. With the exception of caffiene and nicotine I was drug free but was clearly not in an ordinary state of consciousness. Even now when I think of the insights of that period degrees of the lucidity and mania emerge, it doesn't get like back then but it will interfere with my sleep.

PhotonWrangler

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

My longest continuous work shift was around 35 hours. I've worked several of these kinds of shifts during major power blackouts, large system cutovers or other types of bad technology days. I can usually get by with lots of coffee and an occasional 10 minutes of recharging time spent just sitting in a chair and mentally coasting for a bit.

idleprocess

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Mix sleep deprivation with continuous physical exertion and temperature extremes! Your head will thank you by throbbing for several hours afterwards! Your thought patterns will go through some gut-wrenching twists! If you're lucky, you won't have to make any important decisions during this time.

jhereg

jhereg

Enlightened

I was up once (when I was much younger) for 5 days straight. I slept for 2 hours the night before. I didn't have insomnia. I was just busy with school, work & social life & didn't get around to sleeping. The last day I had some friends telling me I was really pale & didn't look right.

edited to add : It was actually much easier once I got past the first day. I stayed busy & it didn't really bother me much. As time went on I developed kind of a fuzzy feeling & I knew I wasn't tracking terribly well towards the end. I remember driving home the last night & as I pulled up to a stop sign thinking I needed to wait for it to turn green. I realized how stupid that was as I came to a complete stop, then went home & crashed for 8 hours.