The Lounge 2017

scout24

Flashaholic
Always have. From back on the Marketplace buying modded E01's and a de-anodised 4sevens cr2 Mini with a Nichia emitter swap, right up to today. :)

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something I've wondered for a while but never asked... Scout's post made me think of it again.

QUESTION: If you're using optics, be them narrow medium or wide, does the optic itself solely determine the beam pattern? I mean, if the light has to pass through the optics does it really matter whether the light is coming from XP-G2 or XP-L? My guess is no... that the optics determine the light pattern. I have two identical triples (one xpg2 and the other xpl) and the xpg2 triples are no more narrow than the others.

I'm no expert but I think it does matter. Think of a magnifying glass. If the distances from the object, the magnifying glass, and your eye(s) were to stay constant, and you compare a big dot to a little dot, the big dot would still look larger than the little dot right?

ven

Flashaholic
Glad you got your D4 tweaked to your preferred beam scout, I can only repeat what has been said. Vinh is 1 in a 1,000,000, truly is. :)

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
I'm no expert but I think it does matter. Think of a magnifying glass. If the distances from the object, the magnifying glass, and your eye(s) were to stay constant, and you compare a big dot to a little dot, the big dot would still look larger than the little dot right?

Sounds good to me. :)

But like I said, I can't really tell any difference in beam pattern between different emitters with identical optics, so I'm not sure.

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds good to me. :)

But like I said, I can't really tell any difference in beam pattern between different emitters with identical optics, so I'm not sure.

The differences are probably extremely subtle. I mean, in that same magnifying glass example, if you hold the magnifying glass so far away from the object that the small dot completely fills the lens, then the large dot would look almost identical.

I'm sure if you brought both lights close enough to a wall, the beam patterns will start to look different.

Now, how this translates to brightness and throw...Oreo?:shrug:

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my GT tracking at noon today. Wonder when it will get here. Iv had dhl express take 2 days from China and iv had it take 5 days being the longest

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man that is weird. I watched this thread a bit the day of the contest and at the time that post you guys are talking about ("Merry Christmas to all and to all a good light.") wasn't there as far as I remember haha. Now looking back that post is there but it didn't show up the day of the contest. Not sure how that happened.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
My email with tracking # for the GT came early this morning, followed by a text saying DHL had picked it up. No delivery date though like some received.

Today, I soldered a blob on 8 VTC6 batteries I've had waiting for a month. Charged them up so I wouldn't get caught with my batteries down! ;)

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
My email with tracking # for the GT came early this morning, followed by a text saying DHL had picked it up. No delivery date though like some received.

Today, I soldered a blob on 8 VTC6 batteries I've had waiting for a month. Charged them up so I wouldn't get caught with my batteries down! ;)

Ya I have no delivery date ether. If I had to guess ether next Monday or Tuesday

hahoo

Enlightened
got my dhl text also for my gt !:D
ill tell you this, so far they have the best customer service in the world
ive never dealt with them before but im impressed
their text just had my name, township, and zip code on it.
i got worried and called them , thinking i would have to battle the language barrier, like you have to most times these days , and struggle to understand them.
instead , got a super nice woman, that sounded like the girl down the street, and she told me they actually had my street address posted on their end.
good deal, she said everything was going to be sent to me in text for updates
in my elation, i forgot to ask her about them needing to have a signature for the package.
called them right back, guy picks right up, same deal
like i had known him all my life, super nice and professional !
told me when it got re-weighed on this end of the world, we would work it out to where i didnt have to be home to get the package, and sign for it.
AWESOME people to deal with this DHL! Very impressive to say the least:thumbsup:

Last edited:

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
I did not get a GT notice, but I did get a nice email from granny. She said, why can't those fools learn to count? :laughing:

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hahahah! Spoken like a true flashaholic!

Ya I have no delivery date ether. If I had to guess ether next Monday or Tuesday

Me neither. I still went ahead and checked the tracking number and it said it was picked up in hong kong at 1:26 and processed at 11:06 on 12/28/17.

At least we see the light at the end of the tunnel!