• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Lounge 2017

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
I think most 26650 high drain auto-beats it's 18650 equivalent. Simply more room for the chemistry to work with. Like IMR18650 auto-beats an IMR16340. I might be wrong, as I don't have used the VTC5S, but I don't think VTC5s can top many different high drain 26650 cells. Sorry if I'm being nitpicky with your comment, or if you're only intention is that in direct comparison, the Shockli will share equivalence with the VTC5. I just thought it a good place to mention that I believe the top 26650s can drive harder than the top 18650s. However, the 18650s are more massively produced, so it may be a closer race than I'm aware. Where's Capolini's comparator when you need it?

chops728

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think most 26650 high drain auto-beats it's 18650 equivalent. Simply more room for the chemistry to work with. Like IMR18650 auto-beats an IMR16340. I might be wrong, as I don't have used the VTC5S, but I don't think VTC5s can top many different high drain 26650 cells. Sorry if I'm being nitpicky with your comment, or if you're only intention is that in direct comparison, the Shockli will share equivalence with the VTC5. I just thought it a good place to mention that I believe the top 26650s can drive harder than the top 18650s. However, the 18650s are more massively produced, so it may be a closer race than I'm aware. Where's Capolini's comparator when you need it?

The comparison was made because it's widely known the VTC5 will push a light harder than most cells (amps/max output)--- I have several 26650 (king Kong--Eifest) that don't drive as hard
For the price the Shockli was a pleasant surprise--- I learned this from testing myself with Direct wired lights (no driver) and Fet based drivers (VNs and Mtnn)--you would be surprised how some cells hang tight and slowly ramp down while others drop like a rock --- almost impossible to see with the naked eye

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fellas, I have a few of these MNKE 26650 batteries. Would these be good for any of Vinhs lights? Are they unprotected? Its been so long i don't remember. I now use the vappower 26650 cells and am awaiting the US release of the ShockLi 26650...just wondering if anyone knows about these MNKE cells. I have had them for years. Always make sure they are charged even if they are not in a light. I tried searching online ...seems like they are an old battery that is no longer sold. Any info is appreciated. Thanks
image1.jpg

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I have a couple of them, still fine although never used hard over the years(no more than 10a). There are mixed reports, but for me issue free.

brighterthanthesun

Enlightened
Fellas, I have a few of these MNKE 26650 batteries. Would these be good for any of Vinhs lights? Are they unprotected? Its been so long i don't remember. I now use the vappower 26650 cells and am awaiting the US release of the ShockLi 26650...just wondering if anyone knows about these MNKE cells. I have had them for years. Always make sure they are charged even if they are not in a light. I tried searching online ...seems like they are an old battery that is no longer sold. Any info is appreciated. Thanks
View attachment 5433

I just looked at the comparator and they look like decent batteries. They should be just fine. As with any new battery/light combination you want to test the voltage after running it for a while to get a feel for how much run time you can expect. Like Capolini has said, after a while you will get pretty good at knowing where your battery voltage will be after 30 minutes or an hour of use.

brighterthanthesun

Enlightened
I think most of the 4,200MAh version of Keeppower, Vappower, Efest, and some others can equally kick out some of the highest amps.

For a highMAh with decent performance but not the highest amp output, I like Liitokala for the price. 4x for $19.95 at gearbest. They work great and meet rated 5,000MAh.[/QUOTE

I just looked at HKJ's comparator and the Liito seems to perform a little better than the Vappower and Efest (I have both) and much better than the Keeppower at 10, 15 and 20 amps. I am looking forward to trying the new Shockli 5500 mAh cells, they look really good.

MC408

Enlightened
So how is that new display case look?

great upgrade on the shelf NL! Now doesn't that feel much better!

Now you need to upgrade whatever you use to carry them around in. I am imagining a pizza box with your lights in the usps padded envelopes. Lol. Jk

thanks for sharing and being a good sport NL, this kinda stuff is what makes the lounge and this group so much fun!

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks.. i ordered mine from illumn a few days ago.. its currenty backordered.. ( will be back in stock 10-14 days)..

@mike, i do have sony vtc5 from vinh ( that was purchased in 2016).. now vinh is selling sony Vtc5a. Some lights are benefit from using sony vtc5a, and some doesnt.. so its all depend how he mod it.

x45vn, tk75vn/tk61vn ideal, rc40vnf, etc. good with sony vtc5a..

Satansjester

Newly Enlightened
Another noob battery question..

Is there any chance of damaging up-modded lights by using higher amp rated batteries?

eg, I have a Fenix TK20r, which I use protected cells in, if I stick vtc5a or 30q or LG HG2 in them will it damage the led, or is it fine because it's still 3.7v?

thanks in advance, I'm not an idiot in life, but electrics just confuses the s**t out of me.

ven

Flashaholic
It is fine mr jester in the fenix light, maybe not by eye but you might get a little output bump as well. Benefits also when the voltage of the cell is lower, you can use higher modes still due to less sag.

brighterthanthesun

Enlightened
Another noob battery question..

Is there any chance of damaging up-modded lights by using higher amp rated batteries?

eg, I have a Fenix TK20r, which I use protected cells in, if I stick vtc5a or 30q or LG HG2 in them will it damage the led, or is it fine because it's still 3.7v?

thanks in advance, I'm not an idiot in life, but electrics just confuses the s**t out of me.

No, it will not damage your LED. Think of Protected cells as having a govenor on the throttle of an engine. The protection device in the battery will only let so many amps out of the battery at once and will only let you discharge it down to a certain level. If you put an unprotected cell, say a 30Q like I use, in your TK20r it will work great. Just make sure to read up on lithium battery safety so you know what you are doing.

As a general rule, you will not need high drain cells (like the ones you mentioned) for off the shelf lights.

Think of your battery being like a bath tub. The number of mAh (say 3000mA on a 30Q) is how much water the tub holds, the cells capacity. The cells Amp rating is like how quickly you can drain the tub. A "high drain cell" like the vtc5a lets you get the amps out quicker, but the number of amps that the cell discharges is determined by the flashlight. If your light only needs 3 mAh, that is all it will "take" from your cell. But in a case like this you are better off with a high capacity 3600 mAh cell than a high discharge cell like the vtc5a that only has a capacity of 2500mAh since your light will not use the high discharge rate of the vtc5a.

You will likely get better answers than mine from others on the forum, but I understand your confusion. I was where you are a year ago. I started with an "off the shelf" light and protected cells. It worked fine and I was happy with my light. As I read more I learned more and now pretty much all of my lights are modded by Vinh at SkyLumen and I use unprotected cells for the best performance in those lights. Keep reading and asking questions. People here are happy to help out. It is sometimes like drinking from a fire hose when you are just getting into all of this flashlight, battery, charger stuff, but it is a lot of fun too.