• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Lounge 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anxiously waiting for more W1 & W2 news. Maybe W1's in a Fireflies E07? Especially, confirmation of performance of W2 in the D4Svn.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Anxiously waiting for more W1 & W2 news. Maybe W1's in a Fireflies E07? Especially, confirmation of performance of W2 in the D4Svn.

I cant try any of these until I get a bit more free time in a couple days. I am excited to just have a day off and just play.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
My Horror Story 4 Your Entertainment!
Phuong's car broke down yesterday at the mall. Car would not start. Dad came gave us a jump start. Car started barely drove out of the parking lot and noticed light flickered and steering got super stiff. Repark and inspect thinking it might be low on power steering fluid as there seem to be a loud motor whine driving to the mall. Car is a IS350 bought used at 52K Miles. Had a motor whine when accelerating from day one. It was annoying but I thought that's just how the car was. Today thinking it's a power steering issue pop hood and looked the for oil reservoir. Found none. Google and realized its electric assist steering so there is no oil. Google Google Google, Uh oh…Its an alternator issue. Went home bought alternator, research, and people claim it's a 2-4 hour job. I was like must be 2 hour for me. I have done this before in other cars. Came back next morning with alternator and new belt to dead car early in the morning but rain was heavy. Arghhhhhhh went home and called friend mechanic for advice. He said fully charge the battery and you can drive on battery power for may be 10 miles. Take it to him for $250 installation or take it home and work on it to save some money. Mall to car was about 10 miles. Mall to his house was 10 miles. Went back to car remove battery, took to AutoZone for free battery charge (Thank You). Came back, pop battery in, drove home fast, nervously but ultimately arrived home safely. Now that we are under the canopy that dad and I constructed last summer the car is MINE! Took out all the tools. Turned timer on phone and determined to complete the job in 2 hours. Just 1 hour in and I already regretted the job but there was no turning back. I don't want to tow the car to the shop and waste another $200 that I am trying to save. After all that is said and done both my hands were scraped, bleed everywhere, made a complete mess, dad came out to struggle with me, his hands scraped as well. Took us 6 hours for the swapped. Ran into issues with everything. Murphy's law clearly applied. Excuses, excuses but here goes: Battery mounting bracket was bent by previous owner/mechanic. Couple of screws got dropped down the diffuser plate that was so hard required dropping the bottom cover to recover. The cheap tools wasn't for the job. Even had to grind down the alternator bracket for it to fit. It was a refurbish alternator. Factory one is like $500!!! The space was so cramped that even with my small hands I was scraped all over and there was no way to take it out from the bottom. How the heck does anyone with larger hand do this job. ECU box had to be removed too! Leg and back hurtled so much. Woke up 9AM and didn't complete until 6PM. So why this long story?! Sometimes is better to let the pro do their thing. Don't be cheap if I know I won't enjoy it and can afford it. Problem is sometime I just won't know how tough a project is until I get into it so it will happen again. Happen every time. Too much eggo and being cheap always gets me…Glad it's all over! Glad I am back at my desk doing the thing I good at and enjoy. LOL Cheers!!

Oh car drives amazing now. No more whine at any RPM and it feels more responsive and even faster. I am sure the alternator add another 50HP and it was worth it!!! AHHAHAHA ;-P

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Awesome job brother!!! Buy the way Love the X70vn perfect!!!

Yeah your version is my preferred version! 6 70.2 + 6 70SD + Center 70.2. Massive lumen, great tint, no distracting hot spot. Cant ask for more...I think its perfect for what it is.

ven

Flashaholic
Cars are far from fun these days to work on vinh, it's fixed though ,good job there ! Always the quick or easy jobs that take hours more to do. I am sure she will be happy and have confidence in the car again, very important .

Hope all is good your way other than scraped hands.:)

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh man, nice work though! Glad it's working great now. That always happens to me as well. Everything I do on a car ends up taking forever due to unforeseen issues that crop up, at least on my older Jeep before I sold it. Haven't had to do much to my newer car yet so we will see about that one haha.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I just found an issue with EC65 Acebeam USB cable. They will not be able to charge the light. When plugged the LED will not lit red. When plugged to my samsung phone it said slow charging only. When I plug the original Samsung cable to a EC65 light charging port lit red and charges as it should. Other AB light might be affected if they have the same cable.

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite light for the 2018 are acebeam X80gt vn and X80gt stock.. very compact and very powerful..
x80gt vn have a diffuse sticker, driver vnx3, and quad xhp70.

X80gt is stock as it.. lol

x80gt vn measured 28900 lumen.. might be more if I use a right disc.

x80gt stock. 25700 lumen

ven

Flashaholic
Awesome duo NL, wishing you and all the v54 family(literally)and here on the lounge all the best for 2019:cool:. New year eve 5.42am here right now in the UK

LumenTodd

Newly Enlightened
That car repair doesn't sound fun at all... Cold wet weather makes it even worse. Glad to hear you got it fixed and the car is running well.

Happy New year Bud.

LT

My Horror Story 4 Your Entertainment!
Phuong's car broke down yesterday at the mall. Car would not start. Dad came gave us a jump start. Car started barely drove out of the parking lot and noticed light flickered and steering got super stiff. Repark and inspect thinking it might be low on power steering fluid as there seem to be a loud motor whine driving to the mall. Car is a IS350 bought used at 52K Miles. Had a motor whine when accelerating from day one. It was annoying but I thought that's just how the car was. Today thinking it's a power steering issue pop hood and looked the for oil reservoir. Found none. Google and realized its electric assist steering so there is no oil. Google Google Google, Uh oh…Its an alternator issue. Went home bought alternator, research, and people claim it's a 2-4 hour job. I was like must be 2 hour for me. I have done this before in other cars. Came back next morning with alternator and new belt to dead car early in the morning but rain was heavy. Arghhhhhhh went home and called friend mechanic for advice. He said fully charge the battery and you can drive on battery power for may be 10 miles. Take it to him for $250 installation or take it home and work on it to save some money. Mall to car was about 10 miles. Mall to his house was 10 miles. Went back to car remove battery, took to AutoZone for free battery charge (Thank You). Came back, pop battery in, drove home fast, nervously but ultimately arrived home safely. Now that we are under the canopy that dad and I constructed last summer the car is MINE! Took out all the tools. Turned timer on phone and determined to complete the job in 2 hours. Just 1 hour in and I already regretted the job but there was no turning back. I don't want to tow the car to the shop and waste another $200 that I am trying to save. After all that is said and done both my hands were scraped, bleed everywhere, made a complete mess, dad came out to struggle with me, his hands scraped as well. Took us 6 hours for the swapped. Ran into issues with everything. Murphy's law clearly applied. Excuses, excuses but here goes: Battery mounting bracket was bent by previous owner/mechanic. Couple of screws got dropped down the diffuser plate that was so hard required dropping the bottom cover to recover. The cheap tools wasn't for the job. Even had to grind down the alternator bracket for it to fit. It was a refurbish alternator. Factory one is like $500!!! The space was so cramped that even with my small hands I was scraped all over and there was no way to take it out from the bottom. How the heck does anyone with larger hand do this job. ECU box had to be removed too! Leg and back hurtled so much. Woke up 9AM and didn't complete until 6PM. So why this long story?! Sometimes is better to let the pro do their thing. Don't be cheap if I know I won't enjoy it and can afford it. Problem is sometime I just won't know how tough a project is until I get into it so it will happen again. Happen every time. Too much eggo and being cheap always gets me…Glad it's all over! Glad I am back at my desk doing the thing I good at and enjoy. LOL Cheers!!

Oh car drives amazing now. No more whine at any RPM and it feels more responsive and even faster. I am sure the alternator add another 50HP and it was worth it!!! AHHAHAHA ;-P

Rasher

Enlightened
Copper Toolvn with Oslon showed up today. Beautiful! Can't wait to put a cell in it and give it a workout.

On an aside, Vinh, any recommendation for a top-notch headlight for biking that can easily attach to a typical bike helmet? The daughter has gotten in the habit of using the bike around San Francisco, and they have $#!^ lights on them.

Happy new year!

R

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
My take on built in USB charging and dedicated charger:

I never charge my cells in a light unless I have to. I do not trust small built in charging circuits as a dedicated charger with a Fan and more advanced voltage management. Even without a Fan a dedicated charger is also more beefy to handle the load extensively. Yes I know cellphones are tiny and they have very reliable charging circuits too but there are much more investment going into those charging circuits VS our lights. But do note that there are many cell phones fire accidents while charging as well. I also can charge the cell outside of a light at a safer location than I can with the cell inside the light. Like outdoor in a garage for example. Cant trust leaving my expensive light out there. Also a bad built in charging circuit can hurt the light electronics and putting my expensive light at risk. I have worked with hundreds of lights with USB charging circuits and I have seen them failed multiple times on all different brands. I also sell many many chargers and have no returns so far. I have only broke 1 charger but that was my fault. Dedicated chargers in general are safer and more reliable from my experience. I would strongly recommend sticking with them and only use the built in charging when there are no other options. I am not lazy to remove the cells and drop then in a dedicated charger. Just my personal take.

Status
Not open for further replies.