The Malkoff Front Porch

marco.weiss

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
interesting.
I think this also prevents the battery from hitting the dropin hard in case of falls...
I prefer this barrier to be on the tailcap as mcclicky is more fragile than dropin which is practically bullet proof.

Slumber Pass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I damaged an M61HOT with a drop on the bezel before. The optic popped off and Gene said the whole assembly had come loose. He replaced it under warranty of course. I imagine the lip on the 21700 body helps prevent this kind of failure.

Hemicrusher

Newly Enlightened
Always wanted a Malkoff, so I purchased an MD2, with the standard M61. Very impressed with the build and overall quality.

I have a bunch of other "enthusiast" lights like the Emiser D4V2, Noctigon KR4, Convoy, Lumintop, Oveready, and Peak LED. So, even though I had the option of switching the M61 for the M61N, I opted for the M61 with the 5,700k SST-20. Anyhow, pretty impressed with it, and was surprised that I really don't see any green tint even compared to my SW45K lights. Also, colors look really good even though the CRI is around 70.

I do have a question. Does the MD2 accept P60 drop-ins from other manufactures besides Malkoff? I keep hearing conflicting info.

Well, here she is, straight from Malkoff.

x784g16m25m71.jpg

Dicaeopolis

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
I have a Sportac drop in I wasn't using. I popped it in a MD2 head and body. It works fine. No rattle or anything. I can't say for sure about others.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Always wanted a Malkoff, so I purchased an MD2, with the standard M61. Very impressed with the build and overall quality.

I have a bunch of other "enthusiast" lights like the Emiser D4V2, Noctigon KR4, Convoy, Lumintop, Oveready, and Peak LED. So, even though I had the option of switching the M61 for the M61N, I opted for the M61 with the 5,700k SST-20. Anyhow, pretty impressed with it, and was surprised that I really don't see any green tint even compared to my SW45K lights. Also, colors look really good even though the CRI is around 70.

I do have a question. Does the MD2 accept P60 drop-ins from other manufactures besides Malkoff? I keep hearing conflicting info.

Well, here she is, straight from Malkoff.

View attachment 16633
I don't think there is a hard fast rule about other drop-ins fitting the head. Some will and some won't, also, you may have to open up the aluminum locking ring for some.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
What GS said, most will fit fine, some don't need the ring, some do, some will need it modified. Easy to do with a drill! I have one "widened" aluminum ring for this purpose. Can't remember where that ended up though....

The Malkoff heads are generally pretty large in diameter as far as P60/ D26 dropins goes. I would be curious to hear if one DIDN'T work. (you may need to also add a spring to some that don't have it, for some reason I have found this can randomly matter or maybe I just had a momentary lapse of reason)

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
In case anyone was still on the fence about the 21700 body.....I was just curious so I weighed two fully assembled lights. (md2 w/ tricap m61w in a 16.5 crenelated bezel and a keeppower 3500mAh 18650 vs 21700 body with the same head/insert and a 5000mAh keeppower 21700). The fully assembled md2 weighed 6.51oz's and the fully assembled 21700 with same head/insert weighed 7.04oz's. Both the size, and weight difference are fairly negligible. I'm interested to see how much run time will differ, but so far I can't see any negatives other than the fact everyone already has 18650's and might not have a stockpile of 21700's.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Has anybody had a hi/lo switch not work? Have one I got direct from malkoff a while back and it doesn’t do low. Could resistor been bad? I assume they’re tested…
check the anodizing on the threads in the head.I had one do this and it was because I had worn the anodizing off the threads. I work in a very harsh environment. the threads must be insulated for the hi/low switch to work.

ledbetter

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Ha! You’re right, Teflon tape does work. It’s a little messy trying to change batteries, and it might get torn up twisting hi/lo so much it doesn’t work, but it is a Mcgyver fix it for now.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
In case anyone was still on the fence about the 21700 body.....I was just curious so I weighed two fully assembled lights. (md2 w/ tricap m61w in a 16.5 crenelated bezel and a keeppower 3500mAh 18650 vs 21700 body with the same head/insert and a 5000mAh keeppower 21700). The fully assembled md2 weighed 6.51oz's and the fully assembled 21700 with same head/insert weighed 7.04oz's. Both the size, and weight difference are fairly negligible. I'm interested to see how much run time will differ, but so far I can't see any negatives other than the fact everyone already has 18650's and might not have a stockpile of 21700's.

please post the runtime difference.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I’m starting to do some test with mine just ran my WM361 on low for 105 hours. Was still going when I shut her down. plenty of light to use in the dark if need be even at that point.