The Malkoff Front Porch

Johnnyh

Yes, it feels ( and is) very substantial in hand...it’s the biggest light I own by far...not so easy to EDC but a fantastic light to keep by the door and around the house or walking at night.

Johnnyh

Well you will get 2 hours of run with that MD4 and a couple of 18650’s. Forgot about running it off of 3 or 4 primaries. Ouch! .

2 hours...I figured I’d be getting more out of the M61N but that’s just me guessing...or do you mean when it gets the M91BN?
I’ve got a bunch of CR123’s I got on sale but I wont burn through them with this...I save those as reserves for the HDS and the SHTF situation. God forbid...

RWT1405

OK thermal guy, I've got a cigar lit and a second one here ready for ya.

The moonshine is out too!

Pull up a chair.

greatscoot

CPF Supporter
Yes, it feels ( and is) very substantial in hand...it’s the biggest light I own by far...not so easy to EDC but a fantastic light to keep by the door and around the house or walking at night.
I may have to get an MD4 now, I was going to go with an MD3, but that looks really nice.

thermal guy

2 hours...I figured I’d be getting more out of the M61N but that’s just me guessing...or do you mean when it gets the M91BN?
I’ve got a bunch of CR123’s I got on sale but I wont burn through them with this...I save those as reserves for the HDS and the SHTF situation. God forbid...

Ya off of the 91. Hell with that rig and a m61N she will run quite a bit longer then that. 5-6 hours before it dims.

thermal guy

I have always wanted to test my M60LL with a couple of 18650’s. In fact I might just do that this weekend. Well and probably into Monday and Tuesday etc. just have to put it someplace safe.i get on my girls all the time for leaving there flashlights on so they have a habit of shutting off every flashlight they find. They did it 3 days in on a test I was doing with one of my HDS! Ya wasn’t happy 😃

neutralwhite

The MD2 Lens, I have taken it out to swap drop ins, and putting in it, does the gasket ring ( stuck on lens ), face in towards where the drop in would rest on it maybe , or outwards so the drop in just rests on the lens ?.
also is there an O ring what should be there too? ( found a spare , so not sure if it came from this ) DOH!.
thanks.

greatscoot

CPF Supporter
Thermal your sig pic is blurry, what happened there? LOL

Have I been drinking myself?

That's photobucket screwing with everyone that has a free account. Instead of making images unavailable like last time, it appears they are blurring them now for some reason. Probably because they want $$$$.

Kestrel

Staff member
I have always wanted to test my M60LL with a couple of 18650’s. [...]
Just a FYI; the M60LL on two LiIons is basically a 'single-L' M60L in both output and current draw - true M60LL behavior only occurs on 2xCR123 or 1xLiIon. It was a unique module, even for Malkoff.

If you want truly epic runtimes from 2x LiIon, you'd need to go to an M61LL or below.

peter yetman

The MD2 Lens, I have taken it out to swap drop ins, and putting in it, does the gasket ring ( stuck on lens ), face in towards where the drop in would rest on it maybe , or outwards so the drop in just rests on the lens ?.
also is there an O ring what should be there too? ( found a spare , so not sure if it came from this ) DOH!.
thanks.
Lens against the drop in, the gasket between the lens and the head.
Dunno about the O ring, never used one.
I'll try and find some pics.
Looks like the O ring is for the newer modules than I have, it goes inside the flange at the front of the drop in to seal the lens on both sides.
So, Head, Gasket, Lems, O ring, Drop in.
P

Here's a pic of the VME Head, it's bsically the same setup.
(you can tell I'm at home being poorly, can't you?)
2eb6385aa279f4215b09b807377e94a3.jpg

Last edited:

thermal guy

thanks.

The gasket goes right up against the head. Then lens then drop in.No o-ring is needed for the MD2.

thermal guy

Just a FYI; the M60LL on two LiIons is basically a 'single-L' M60L in both output and current draw - true M60LL behavior only occurs on 2xCR123 or 1xLiIon. It was a unique module, even for Malkoff.

If you want truly epic runtimes from 2x LiIon, you'd need to go to an M61LL or below.

We sure on this? I know I have run it on 3-AA and it went forever.

archimedes

Moderator,
Staff member
CPF Supporter

We sure on this? I know I have run it on 3-AA and it went forever.

Aren't you both kinda saying the same thing ? ... :thinking:

thermal guy

No. When you run the 60LL ON 3 cells you get more output but I thought runtime did go up. I’ll have to check. Running off of 3XAA it pretty much is in direct drive and runs forever. Only one way to be sure.

peter yetman

The gasket goes right up against the head. Then lens then drop in.No o-ring is needed for the MD2.
Apparently some of the more recent drop ins had the reflector futher back within the shell and people had trouble with the lens rattling, which obvioussly wasn't watertight.
Gene started adding the extra O ring to compensate for the gap.
P