The Malkoff Front Porch

J

Jfowler

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
I’m enjoying my first dive into the Malkoff Eco System. I am more of a 16340/16650 E Series guy, so I started with the 1x123 and 1x16650 clicky paks. For heads, I went for the MDC Neutral LMH, and the VME + M61N drop in.

I think my preference is leaning toward the VME + Drop in. I usually like multi mode lights, but I didn’t find the MDC’s UI to be a match for my tastes. Actually surprised by how much I appreciate the simplicity of the single mode drop in.

Also, it’s my first experience with a Luminous SST-20 (4000k, 95 CRI). I am pleased. I ordered a single mode Sportac Triple w/ same LED, as there is a rumor that the drop in will fit the VME.

kerneldrop

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I’m enjoying my first dive into the Malkoff Eco System. I am more of a 16340/16650 E Series guy, so I started with the 1x123 and 1x16650 clicky paks. For heads, I went for the MDC Neutral LMH, and the VME + M61N drop in.

I think my preference is leaning toward the VME + Drop in. I usually like multi mode lights, but I didn’t find the MDC’s UI to be a match for my tastes. Actually surprised by how much I appreciate the simplicity of the single mode drop in.

Also, it’s my first experience with a Luminous SST-20 (4000k, 95 CRI). I am pleased. I ordered a single mode Sportac Triple w/ same LED, as there is a rumor that the drop in will fit the VME.

Welcome.
There's something for everyone with all the compatibility options.

Did you see the M361N?

J

Jfowler

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Did you see the M361N?
I did see the M361N, but I think it sold out while I was sorting out my first order - maybe for the best. I think it would share a lot of DNA w/ the MDCN LMH that I don’t currently favor; same voltage range, same UI, same reflector, same LED.

The M61N, while giving up multiple modes (again maybe for the best), allows for 3.7-9V, can be ordered in L and LL variations if my tastes in output vs runtime change, and keeps the reflector and LED that I love.

While I went back and forth on the MDC/ E Series style heads vs VME + Drop in, I think I am settling more and more into the drop in camp. It’s kind of Malkoff’s thing - right?

kerneldrop

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I went back and forth on the MDC/ E Series style heads vs VME + Drop in, I think I am settling more and more into the drop in camp. It’s kind of Malkoff’s thing - right?

There's no right or wrong.
Cool part is it's easier to reverse course with flashlights than it is with concrete.
Lately I've been on a kick to put Mules/Triples/Quads in the VME head...so that's led me to looking for USA made 18350/18500 E-bodies.

J

Jfowler

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
While not domestic, the LF offerings tick a lot of boxes.

kerneldrop

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a potted P60vn 4-LED High-CRI Mule "made" for the VME.
It's of mixture two LED types: 219c 4000K and 351 5000K. It will also fit in the MDX head without the retaining ring.
(You can take off just a tiny amount of material from the ID of the ring and it'll fit...Or request a mule be made in the shorter quad copper slug and pair it with the High-low ring for double mode options)
I added a metric Oring to keep the VME glass off the LEDs
1x 19mm copper wave washer was needed for contact. (I also use one for the Malkoff dropins)
I'm using this mode: F/.7/2/7/25/100% output

51837333220 07dd7a3e45 c

51836683063 b7a6f666e2 c

51837305350 edb2ac04e6 c

51837305215 f08493c778 c

Last edited:
neutralwhite

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear that a ZWB filter lens can fit an MD2 UV light but is that the same as the woods lens and where can I get a ZWB lens or better from ?.
thanks,.

dotCPF

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
The 3Ls are a favorite of mine, I have a few with 219bs. Those were always my favorite from the Ilumn buys, and why I went with a 4L. Interestingly the 4L puts out barely less light, with slightly less draw. I'm always for more runtime, but the results are great to see!

Also worth noting, Gene uses Bench power, not sure if you noted that Owen so that would have a total resistance different than most of our hosts.

kerneldrop

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also worth noting, Gene uses Bench power, not sure if you noted that Owen so that would have a total resistance different than most of our hosts.

He told me about his bench setup for measuring draw. I figured he had a nice setup. I have an AC setup like that for my reloading scales. I didn’t realize they made those for DC. I’ll stick to test batteries, but I can see how bench power would be ideal for high volume.

I have alligator clamps and copper strips to make it fast and easy to hook up with my quick clamp…but I have a redneck image to uphold.

kerneldrop

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
They had a max exodus when the ban hammer was brought out a short while ago.

Cree XHP 70 LED

Cree XHP 70 LED

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have beamshots of the E2XT vs E2XTD, or the V7 4000K and 5700K? I know that 4000K is getting a bad wrap, but you need both to roll hard like kerneldrop and his subs in his golf cart. I've been EDCing the E2XT but wanted more punch as I was unable to ID a little critter this morning. I think it was a smart opossum, but I want more punch than 55k I think I need the 70k

Last edited:
thermal guy

thermal guy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Why is the 4K getting a bad wrap?