The Malkoff Front Porch

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Protected 18350 will fit if you trim the dropin spring and the tailcap spring.

But I don’t see a benefit to running a lower capacity setup when other options exist.

Steve1

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
It does fit with the MD2 but again the tailcap on turns a few times and also the o ring is placed higher. The extension works great without the spacer and just the ring, o ring properly placed and the tailcap turns 7 times with the keepower 18650 3500 mAh battery.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 17

ledbetter

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
I prefer single cell set ups but do occasionally run 2 unprotected cells with never a problem. Has anybody ever had a problem with that set up? And I don’t mean what people say or recommend(makers will always say use this or that because some numskull will do something stupid). An actual flashlight user with a normal light using two unprotected cells actually had a battery issue, failure, explosion, venting, etc.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
There’s never an issue with 2 unprotected batteries when they are healthy and used within their specs.

The problem is when one is unhealthy and there’s no auto stop.

Vapes explode bc the battery shorts itself bc the battery cannot push enough currents as demanded and that creates a short that heats up the battery causing those little molecule guys to explode.

I’ve seen battery packs catch on fire in high output cheap mountain bike lights used for night races.

There’s a risk there…some accept it.

tex.proud

Enlightened
Afternoon Malkoff gurus! I have recently ordered a Neutral MDC HA LMH Li-ion Rechargeable Head with the Luminous SST-20 4000k emitter, because I'm a fan of that led. Thing is, I'm not sure which of my MDC bodies to run it on. I'd like to run a 16340 battery in the 123 body, but not sure if run times are that good. I also have the 16650 body available. Anyone have experience with this head on either?

ledbetter

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
16340 is ok as long as you use the l/m levels primarily. Runtimes on high will be about 20 min? Another pocket friendly option is the aa body running a 14500 battery that will up your capacity about 25%.Obviously 16650 batteries will quadruple 16340’s capacity and will have comparable runtimes to what 18650’s had about 5 years ago.

Last edited:

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Ya that’s whats confusing me 2 protected 18350 are way to big for my MD2. Some say they are us them🤔

I could barely get the keeppower 1200 mah ones in my md2. It compressed a bit much for comfort but no damage is apparent to the cells after a runtime test. I have a super thick LF clip and a z26 lanyard ring on the md2 so that probably helped, with the md body extender I’m hoping it will give just that little bit of extra room it needs. I jumped and bought whatever 18350’s looked best, not taking into account the length.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Malkoff goodies just arrived. MD2 with the grip ring extender works nicely. I had to forego the z26 with the grip ring and a pocket clip on there, as it pushed the tailcap too far away from the water sealing o ring. The clearance is sufficient for the 1200 mah 18350’s to work just fine and the hi/low operates smoothly. An 18650 requires both of the smaller o rings to prevent rattle and flickering but that is doable for a battery swap “in the field”. The low profile extender does all the same things but I get to keep the z26. CR123’s are too short to make a connection with either extender.

I get 75 minutes of high runtime in the m61t with these 18350’s. The increased voltage also makes the low mode much, much more useful than with an 18650. That’s good, but practically speaking it would have been better to just get shorter cells and not have to mess with all this. They do perform well for their trouble though and I’m a gonna use ‘em.

301D7307-B67C-4166-9905-E0C158226D9C.jpeg

E5B8B24A-980F-4A7B-ABDB-8CD2ECAB71EC.jpeg

CBC559FB-A641-40B8-85B9-BAB72CC37556.jpeg

A0F4F25A-E699-4732-8D17-6494951AFF2B.jpeg

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wha dis super duper hot output and tint?
Tomorrow I’ll measure the % output compared to Hot. It looks like it has less candela than the Hot. Tint is probably 2800K. It’s different for sure. The driver on the Hot pulls more current so I knew it wouldn’t have the output of the Hot.

But @PoliceScannerMan 5000K dedomed is perfection. The beam profile is great and the tint is excellent as an all-arounder.

Here’s another of the Super duper hot (right) next to Hot (left). That tint difference is wild.
4323A55B-3986-43B4-A66C-EF21BF79B5FE.jpeg

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
That tint is so Hot it burns the green chlorophyll in plants to golden brown!

It’s a new level of HCRI.
I’m going to swap it out for the more neutral dedomed 5000K

The 5700 dedomed works out very nicely too. It’s around 4800K. It’s similar to 5000k but with a different tint.

Last edited:

fulee9999

Enlightened
two nights ago I was carrying around my E2XT on the 16650 MDC body ( as you would ) and it was dead in the night, we were walking next to a field/crops with my dog and I was looking around, and as the E2XT throws 200-300 yards easily I was willy nilly looking at everything in the distance when I spotted something around waist height in the middle of the field. I thought it was something left behind by the farmer and covered with some rags or foil or something, so as I was walking past on the road I kept lighting it up, to try and figure out what am I seeing ( I don't have the best of eyesights ) When I got around 30 yards away from it, walking past the road, I heard "STOP SHINING THAT FKIN LIGHT IN MY EYES" followed by other expletives... Well turns out it was a dude taking a dump in the crops... So I've learned that even tho my lights can shine up stuff half a mile away, my eyes won't necessarily make out what it is :D

Lesson learned, I need a wildcat and a MD4 body for night walks :)

fulee9999

Enlightened
^
Another example when you don’t need or want a throwy light. More of a toy than a tool.
in this exact situation, yes. however it's been very useful in lightly wooded areas when I'm walking without a flashlight and just spot some movement, and I can throw light very far for a few seconds to identify if it's an animal/person or bush bending in the wind.