The Malkoff Front Porch

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
M91/md3 is pretty awesome, and with a hi/low ring you’ve got all you need. Plus you can carry it in your pocket no problem unlike a wildcat.
Thanks!

Ordered the M91N. I kept kicking myself for not getting in on the group buys. Going to run it in the MD3. Too many positive reviews on this combo.

J_C_S

Newly Enlightened
Looking for advice for my first malkoff. Looking at the mdc. Any recommendations on the two models of the cr123 version? Mode and bulb preference?

ledbetter

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
My 2 cents is I’d go with the three mode for a first light and cool if you use it primarily outdoors and neutral for indoors/outdoors or if you just like higher cri.

ledbetter

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
L-m-h or h-m-l ?
I prefer lmh but with the mode memory it doesn’t really matter as you can set it up to start on whatever you like ,though with normal usage it will start on low. The opposite with the tactical hml, it will normally start on high unless you run thru modes to have it start on next level.

chip100t

Enlightened
It depends on which mode you think you will use more. I went with l/m/h as I use low more than I do high so it is more convenient to do so. I also went with the cool model and find it great.

J_C_S

Newly Enlightened
I prefer lmh but with the mode memory it doesn’t really matter as you can set it up to start on whatever you like ,though with normal usage it will start on low. The opposite with the tactical hml, it will normally start on high unless you run thru modes to have it start on next level.
I read the description on the mode memory and it seems it resets after 1 second. So if I have the l-m-h light and turn the light on and cycle to medium, use it, and turn it off and turn it back on 1 hr later will it come on medium or low?

3oni

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
LMH gets my vote. When I need low, I don't want to have to cycle past high to get to it; and when I need high, I don't care if I have to cycle past low to get to it.

As long as the light is on for a second or so, it will always come on in its default mode (L or H, depending on which you buy). It took me about two days to train my brain to avoid quick "blips" of light -- which I sometimes find useful -- and always keep it on for a second, and now it's second nature.

My dream EDC Malkoff is the MDC head with a hi/lo ring. I adore that interface, but I assume either demand or engineering prevents it from being possible on the MDC.

turbodog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for advice for my first malkoff. Looking at the mdc. Any recommendations on the two models of the cr123 version? Mode and bulb preference?

I've just bought 6 of their lights in the past 1-2 months.

For a light that gets used a lot... get one that takes rechargeable and primary cells.

For occasional use, single mode.

Due to the weird 'on time' mode switching... I'm NOT a fan of their 3 mode light. It's not bad, but it detracts from otherwise a stand-out light.

The 2 mode/twist lights are very nice.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
My M91N has been delivered but I’m at work till late tonight and tomorrow as well.

Can’t wait to set it up. Have an MD3 with a high low ring and Surefire tailcap waiting for it…

What 18500 batteries are you guys using?
I have a pair of Vapecell L22 INRs waiting for my 18500 HDS body but they are flat tops and I don’t like using magnets.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
I missed a lot, were there any launches of dropins or E-series heads with 4900-5400K with Samsung lh351d, XPl HI or XPL HD ??

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
What 18500 batteries are you guys using?
I have a pair of Vapecell L22 INRs waiting for my 18500 HDS body but they are flat tops and I don’t like using magnets.

Keeppower protected 2300 mAh is what I use. I buy them from illumn.com

I would recommend using protected cells with the M91B. It will drain Li-Ion cells way past safe levels if you're not paying attention., especially if you're using a 2-cell format.

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Need some feedback on a hound dog... the one that take (4) 123 or (2) 18650.

They say use button top protected cells. Mine stick out past the batt tube 4-5 mm. With the tail spring compressed... they are 1mm below flush with the end of the batt tube.

So... how long is too long? Far as I saw... website doesn't say. But spec'ing protected button tops... they would have to expect a longer than normal cell.

J_C_S

Newly Enlightened
I've just bought 6 of their lights in the past 1-2 months.

For a light that gets used a lot... get one that takes rechargeable and primary cells.

For occasional use, single mode.

Due to the weird 'on time' mode switching... I'm NOT a fan of their 3 mode light. It's not bad, but it detracts from otherwise a stand-out light.

The 2 mode/twist lights are very nice.
I haven’t found a single cell twist light. Did I miss it?

ledbetter

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
I haven’t found a single cell twist light. Did I miss it?
they don’t make them. the last one was years ago with the valiant concepts bodies (e) and their mdc/vme heads.

All Malkoff lights have tail button activation. MDX heads can have option of a hi/lo feature activated by twisting the head.

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Need some feedback on a hound dog... the one that take (4) 123 or (2) 18650.

They say use button top protected cells. Mine stick out past the batt tube 4-5 mm. With the tail spring compressed... they are 1mm below flush with the end of the batt tube.

So... how long is too long? Far as I saw... website doesn't say. But spec'ing protected button tops... they would have to expect a longer than normal cell.
That's too long. I would be concerned about damaging those cells, especially if the light is dropped. You can buy body extenders from Malkoff, but you really shouldn't have to in this case.

I have two MD4 bodies, and neither of them are like this. I usually have to stretch the springs a bit to use unprotected cells in these. They have the old style knurling, not the newer "pineapple" type Malkoff is using now and are in the range of 6-8 years old. The bodies alone are 144mm long.

Two protected Orbtronic (3100 mAh) or Keeppower (3600 mAh) cells in mine are flush with the end of the body, button top protruding, tailcap spring uncompressed. These cells are ~69mm long.

Can you measure the length of your cells and the length of your MD4 body, without head or tailcap?

It might be best to start a new thread for troubleshooting topics like this. Discussions get buried in The Front Porch, and it would make it easier for the next person that has this issue to follow.

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure why they would be sticking out 4-5mm then
70 mm cells and 144mm tube
:unsure:

The only thing I can think of is that your tailcap spring is stretched?

Here's a pic of mine with the ~69mm cells. They really measure about 68.6mm, so if yours are truly 70mm, yours should stick out about 3mm more than mine. I wouldn't think that would be excessive.

52068255858_ef3cdb3a79_k.jpg

Latest posts