The Malkoff Front Porch

kerneldrop

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
So... how long is too long? Far as I saw... website doesn't say. But spec'ing protected button tops... they would have to expect a longer than normal cell.

It's too long when you bottom out both springs, dent the button tops, and still can't thread it.
If you're committed to those batteries then you can shorten the springs.

turbodog

turbodog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does not dent either battery. Don't hear springs go 'crunch', nor do they appear to 'take a set'. Just seems _borderline_.

4mm past the end of tube.

K

Kalsu

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Decided to give the M91BN with the high/low ring a try. I also got a MD3 body and some 18500 batteries on the way. Planning on using it primarily on an MD2 body with either an 18650 or 2 18350 batteries. I think that 2 18350's should fit in the MD2? Either way I have ready to many good things about the M91 to not try it.

NutSAK

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does not dent either battery. Don't hear springs go 'crunch', nor do they appear to 'take a set'. Just seems _borderline_.

4mm past the end of tube.

View attachment 27589

View attachment 27588
Clearly it hasn't damaged the cells. I prefer my cells to have some "float" between the springs once it's all tightened down. I would consider the extender kit now, or possibly just some shorter cells down the road:

tech25

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick thoughts after using my new M91N a bit, it has more oomph and a fatter hotspot than my M61N. Exactly what I was looking for!

I have been running it on an 18650 so far but have 18500 batteries on their way. Also going to sand the bezel to make this a 22.3 head.

The hotspot is beautiful blended unlike my ZL Sc600w which has a defined hotspot and spill around it. Although, it does have a bigger hotspot on the two highest modes.

As far as tint, on a white wall the M91N appears slightly more yellow than my M61N and SC600w.

I didn’t get much of a chance to use it outside but so far I’m very happy with it.

K

Kalsu

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Got the M91BN and MD3 today. I was reserved about the MD3 body being to big. Once I got the light put together though I really like it. It is a good length and seems to compliment the M91 well.
The M91BN had a very nice neutral color and bigger hot spot that my M361N. That M91 really pumps out the light when ran by two 18500 batteries. It also runs well with one 18650.
I am hoping to get to use it tonight at work to see how it does. Initial impressions are very good though.

turbodog

turbodog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clearly it hasn't damaged the cells. I prefer my cells to have some "float" between the springs once it's all tightened down. I would consider the extender kit now, or possibly just some shorter cells down the road:

I received a subset of that kit, the small/thin delrin ring. We are good now.

Also, hound dog, at least on 18650 gets HOT. Plenty bright, good beam pattern, and great throw.

Good outdoor light for those with actual land. Small enough barrel to slide into a back pocket without sitting sideways.

Would buy again...

And that wraps up 6 new MD in ~2 months.

(3) 1x123 SHO
(1) 2x123 2 stage head
(1) 1x123 3 stage
(1) hound dog

D

daffy

Enlightened
Decided to give the M91BN with the high/low ring a try. I also got a MD3 body and some 18500 batteries on the way. Planning on using it primarily on an MD2 body with either an 18650 or 2 18350 batteries. I think that 2 18350's should fit in the MD2? Either way I have ready to many good things about the M91 to not try it.
2x18350 is fine with the appropriately rated LED in the MD2.

K

Kalsu

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
2x18350 is fine with the appropriately rated LED in the MD2.
It runs the M91 great.
I guess I was more concerned with the length of the 18350 cells being an issue.

Last edited:
Megalamuffin

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I runs the M91 great.
I guess I was more concerned with the length of the 18350 cells being an issue.

Length can be an issue with 18350’s so unprotected cells would be best. You may have to get the md body extension kit which helps.

K

Kalsu

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Length can be an issue with 18350’s so unprotected cells would be best. You may have to get the md body extension kit which helps.
I actually ordered the MD body extension kit yesterday.
The brightness difference between 2x18500's and 1x18650 seems to be minimal to me. I may end up running it on an MD2 body with an 18650 at work for the extra runtime. I really am liking the length of the MD3 body though. We will have to see how the 18500's hold up.

NutSAK

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually ordered the MD body extension kit yesterday.
The brightness difference between 2x18500's and 1x18650 seems to be minimal to me.
It may seem minimal when fully charged, but the difference in output will become greater throughout the runtime. 2x18500 will provide constant regulated output. 1x18650 will drop out of regulation quickly and output will diminish throughout the runtime.

With that said, both configurations work well. The configuration you pick should depend on your use case. I usually decide which configuration I will use for a task based upon what output I want in low mode, for example.

K

Kalsu

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
It may seem minimal when fully charged, but the difference in output will become greater throughout the runtime. 2x18500 will provide constant regulated output. 1x18650 will drop out of regulation quickly and output will diminish throughout the runtime.

With that said, both configurations work well. The configuration you pick should depend on your use case. I usually decide which configuration I will use for a task based upon what output I want in low mode, for example.
That's a good point. I didn't think about the regulation. For now I am leaning towards the 2x18500's. The low and high modes are both important for me at work. I need the high to reach the top of the tail and illuminate the fuselage of the aircraft I am looking at. I use the low mode in the flight deck and when looking inside panels etc.
The M91 really puts out a wall of light. The 4k neutral tint is just nothing short of perfect.

NutSAK

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The difference in low mode between the two configurations is much more noticeable than the initial difference in high mode, IMO. Depending on the ambient lighting available when you're looking in the panels, the ~15 lumens vs ~40 lumens on low may make the difference for you. With low ambient light, 15 lumens is very useful and 40 lumens can be a bit too bright. With high ambient light, 15 lumens isn't as useful and 40 is a great task-light level.

With some experimentation I've no doubt you'll quickly find your preferred setup for the tarmac/flight deck combination. In your situation, you might carry two bodies for a while; an MD2 with 18650, and an MD3 with 18500s. This would allow you to quickly switch from one configuration to another to experiment.

Last edited:
K

Kalsu

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
The difference in low mode between the two configurations is much more noticeable than the initial difference in high mode, IMO. Depending on the ambient lighting available when you're looking in the panels, the ~15 lumens vs ~40 lumens on low may make the difference for you. With low ambient light, 15 lumens is very useful and 40 lumens can be a bit too bright. With high ambient light, 15 lumens isn't as useful and 40 is a great task-light level.

With some experimentation I've no doubt you'll quickly find your preferred setup for the tarmac/flight deck combination. In your situation, you might carry two bodies for a while; an MD2 with 18650, and an MD3 with 18500s. This would allow you to quickly switch from one configuration to another to experiment.
You are exactly right. That is what I am planning on doing as well. Carrying two bodies light you suggested. Playing around with the different combinations is half the fun!

Megalamuffin

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Malkoff mail call.

The tricap looks awesome and has great ergonomics with secure tailstanding. What’s not to like? Perhaps a crenelated mdx head will be the next malkoff purchase.

926F291B 70D0 4CB6 AE29 324176DACB1A

The new M91BN compared to the M91BW. My preference is the W, but the N is also very nice and looks truly neutral much like the m61n. Little known fact the b in m91b stands for bees knees.

9A645CA8 E9D0 4FF7 A63D CE76691194D7