The Malkoff Front Porch

ScottsoSmith

Newly Enlightened
If I were you, I'd go with the M61N, it's high CRI. My most used flashlight is the MD2+M61N hi/lo.
The high CRI allows you to discern so much more detail in your environment, and also so much easier on the eyes for long term use.
I suspect both the 61N and 61W are in my future!!!

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
It seems that something has changed, this model recently seemed to be 5500K and about 60-70 thousand lux, now 40 thousand lux and 6200K, or am I confusing something?

Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 XT V2

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
What is the low output with that setup?
If I were you, I'd go with the M61N, it's high CRI. My most used flashlight is the MD2+M61N hi/lo.
The high CRI allows you to discern so much more detail in your environment, and also so much easier on the eyes for long term use.

fulee9999

Enlightened
It seems that something has changed, this model recently seemed to be 5500K and about 60-70 thousand lux, now 40 thousand lux and 6200K, or am I confusing something?

oh wow, you're right... the previous generation was almost twice the lux:

DESCRIPTION

This flashlight Head has a beam with a nice tight hot spot and minor spill. The output is approximately 800 measured Out the Front lumens on high and 50 OTF lumens on low. The High/Low is controlled by head rotation.
This flashlight will illuminate objects at 1200+ feet. The Lux at one meter is approximately 75,000. The tint is 5700K.

while the current one reads:

DESCRIPTION

This flashlight Head has a beam with a nice tight hot spot and minor spill. The output is approximately 800 measured Out the Front lumens on high and 50 OTF lumens on low. The High/Low is controlled by head rotation.
This flashlight will illuminate objects at 1000+ feet. The Lux at one meter is approximately 40,000. The tint is 6200K.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Oh, thank you very much, so I'm not hallucinating.
It looks like they put another LED there, with a larger radiation area.

Today I went to Kaidomain, so many new XHP appeared and they are all so beautiful. Hopefully we'll see Nichia 519A when Gene runs out of SST-20.

ScottsoSmith

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have experience with the 21700 body on an MD head? Thinking about doing it, but wouldn't mind hearing some first hand experience.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
It’s nice, better runtime. But it does not have a clip and it’s slippery.
Maybe if a few of Malkoff fans ask Gene to offer both styles knurling?
To add back the standard diamond knurling (and "deeper rolled" than previously offered) as an option to the pineapple.

Tell Malkoff to take a 21700 out in the rain. It's like trying to hang on to a wet bar of soap!

thermal guy

Flashaholic

I think he’s listing the lux with the diffusers in place

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Thank you sir. Any idea what the low output would be on the L and LL versions? Is it always 10 with one 18750 no matter the dropin?
It should be 10 on all versions. I’ve tested the L and it’s the same, although I have not tested the LL, logic suggests it’s the same.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect both the 61N and 61W are in my future!!!
And that’s how you become a malkoff junkie. I started with a curiosity and within 4 months I had 30 of them in all models. I had the maglite drop in when i was a police officer 25 years ago, but sold itt. I guess i regretted it and now made up for that lapse in judgment

Jfowler

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a recommendation and a sanity check.

I currently have (2) 21700 bodies, each running a M91BN drop in. They are not carry lights, but they are kept in the mud room and they are what I reach for when the dog goes for a late walk, when the power goes out, etc. I carry a nice EDC light every day, but I find these large format lights really serve a purpose for the household.

I am looking to swap the heads for the larger Malkoff offerings. My only requirement is it must be 4000k - the cool white does not agree with me.

As I see it, I have 4 options for warmer tints and 21700 body.

Wildcat 18650
Wildcat XP-L
Hounddog XP-L
Super Hounddog

The sanity check is that obviously the Wildcat 18650 runs at regulation on the single 21700 battery. The other three lights will run on a single 21700, via direct drive, just like the M91BN - correct?

Assuming all options are on the table, and you have 2 heads to buy, what do you like? Why? Again, use case is a house light and dog walker. I live in a suburban area in the northeast, in a neighborhood with no streetlights and house set back 100+ feet from the street. Main concerns when out are being visible to a random car and spotting wildlife.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Looking for a recommendation and a sanity check.

I currently have (2) 21700 bodies, each running a M91BN drop in. They are not carry lights, but they are kept in the mud room and they are what I reach for when the dog goes for a late walk, when the power goes out, etc. I carry a nice EDC light every day, but I find these large format lights really serve a purpose for the household.

I am looking to swap the heads for the larger Malkoff offerings. My only requirement is it must be 4000k - the cool white does not agree with me.

As I see it, I have 4 options for warmer tints and 21700 body.

Wildcat 18650
Wildcat XP-L
Hounddog XP-L
Super Hounddog

The sanity check is that obviously the Wildcat 18650 runs at regulation on the single 21700 battery. The other three lights will run on a single 21700, via direct drive, just like the M91BN - correct?

Assuming all options are on the table, and you have 2 heads to buy, what do you like? Why? Again, use case is a house light and dog walker. I live in a suburban area in the northeast, in a neighborhood with no streetlights and house set back 100+ feet from the street. Main concerns when out are being visible to a random car and spotting wildlife.
I’d grab the Wildcat 18650 and remove the filter.perfect for you.I posted some beamshots of this setup on here.with the filter on 100 feet is about max with the wildcat. Without it you get about 100 yards.

Jfowler

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate that suggestion - it was a hack I remember reading about and it did cross my mind as a best of both worlds option.

I had a Makai on a 2x123 Pak that was pretty perfect for my use. In the off chance that you’ve had both, would you say the filter-less wildcat 18650 is similar to the Makai in throw/spill?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
i don’t have any experience with the Makai But think it was more of a tighter beam then the wildcat.

fulee9999

Enlightened
I’d grab the Wildcat 18650 and remove the filter.perfect for you.I posted some beamshots of this setup on here.with the filter on 100 feet is about max with the wildcat. Without it you get about 100 yards.

can you link to the post pls? I'm curious how the wildcat sans filter looks like