The Malkoff Front Porch

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received mine yesterday, it is a great light. Fantastic tint. Low is bright enough for 95% of tasks. Should make a great EDC, but for night time use (trips around the house at nite), low is definitely too bright at least for my liking. I have many many lights for that though.
I agree. Probably one of the best lights I've ever tried. The low output is indeed a perfect amount for most tasks and it's one click to get there. High output is fantastic at night outside

340pd

Newly Enlightened
Bought a M61SHO and just for comparison, a week later a MD2 M61HOTv2.
I am not a white wall guy and most of the terms you guys use are lost on me so this is my perception between the two of my latest.
The difference in tint between the two is very apparent with my eyes seeing a pleasing pinkish tint to the HOT and an ever so slight greenish tint to the SHO.
On a narrow tree lined trail walk, on low, both are about the same with the SHO having a greater spill.
On high, the HOT appears to be much brighter and obviously has more throw but it lacks the spill I feel I would like on that type of walk.
In a large room setting, the SHO is the room lighter winner but again, the HOT is much brighter so both make a good choice. I would not like to be walking down a dark hallway and suddenly run into either of these lights.
I am not very good at setting up pics, but handheld, the greenish tint of the SHO on the left is not as apparent in real life but the pinkish tint of the HOT is really close. That one reminds me of my 216b V2 in an older MD2 I have at my daughters.
Overall, I will be using the SHO for my walks and the HOT for bedside duty replacing the 6P/M61 dropin I just gave to my son-in-law.

Attachments

• Lights.jpg
    Lights.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 51

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not a white wall guy and most of the terms you guys use are lost on me so this is my perception between the two of my latest.
The difference in tint between the two is very apparent with my eyes seeing a pleasing pinkish tint to the HOT and an ever so slight greenish tint to the SHO.
On a narrow tree lined trail walk, on low, both are about the same with the SHO having a greater spill.
On high, the HOT appears to be much brighter and obviously has more throw but it lacks the spill I feel I would like on that type of walk.
In a large room setting, the SHO is the room lighter winner but again, the HOT is much brighter so both make a good choice. I would not like to be walking down a dark hallway and suddenly run into either of these lights.
I am not very good at setting up pics, but handheld, the greenish tint of the SHO on the left is not as apparent in real life but the pinkish tint of the HOT is really close. That one reminds me of my 216b V2 in an older MD2 I have at my daughters.
Overall, I will be using the SHO for my walks and the HOT for bedside duty replacing the 6P/M61 dropin I just gave to my son-in-law.
Appears you won the tint lottery on the Hot. Now I'm wondering what emitter Malkoff is using with the v2?

340pd

Newly Enlightened
Appears you won the tint lottery on the Hot. Now I'm wondering what emitter Malkoff is using with the v2?
I am not a tint snob, but out of the five Malkoffs I have, excluding my 18650 Hound Dog in neutral, the tint of the M61HOTv2 is my favorite by far.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was part of a group buy, if you are interested in one he's doing a second run. I will PM you the info
Is that documented somewhere in this 306 page thread, or does it require joining a special club? As much money as I've sent them in recent weeks, I should have a membership by now!

michaex

Enlightened
Arisaka is offering E1HTv2 and E2HTv2. Less candela, more lumens.

They also have multiple Malkoff heads in FDE for those of us who not always go with black ano!

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Arisaka is offering E1HTv2 and E2HTv2. Less candela, more lumens.

They also have multiple Malkoff heads in FDE for those of us who not always go with black ano!

Interesting. I would have expected more candela from the v2's. I wonder what's more noticeable, the lower candela or the increased lumens?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the pic, which one is which? Please label.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a mighty fine flashlight.

So what section are group buys and passarounds listed here these days?
I got the 2AA version. Have the 1aa body.
The whole point is to use cheap alkalines or L91s. If recharding, might as well chose something more substantial in the 18mm realm.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
"I am not very good at setting up pics, but handheld, the greenish tint of the SHO on the left is not as apparent in real life but the pinkish tint of the HOT is really close. That one reminds me of my 216b V2 in an older MD2 I have at my daughters."
I saw that. have to read a complicated sentence to figure out which is green and which is pink and then correlate it to the colors and then order in the pics.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw that. have to read a complicated sentence to figure out which is green and which is pink and then correlate it to the colors and then order in the pics.
I reckon there are people that will go to the store and buy your groceries for ya now. Maybe even wipe your butt for ya too if you ask nicely. Wow. What a complaint haha