The Malkoff Front Porch

HermodsRide

Newly Enlightened
My nightstand lights are a Malkoff MD4 running a Super Hound Dog (neutral) head and another MD4 running an M91B (cool) with a hi-lo ring. As my eyes have gotten older, I prefer the added lumens of the 91 over the 61. I haven't owned a M@glite in years, but they would make a superior club in the 4D cell variety. My "batons" are a Glock and a Mossberg.
I hear you. My baton is also a firearm lol. This is just for another potential option.

HermodsRide

Newly Enlightened
I have an m61w I use in surefires and the md2,3,4. My next purchase is an m91n. I would say get an md setup. You can always buy the mag lite setup anytime and have both available to mess around with.
Honestly I'm leaning that way. Have pretty much all the Malkoff options, but no m91 setup.

md17

Newly Enlightened
So, I just bought an old md3 body off of Illumn. I bought the old style for nothing more than nostalgia, but the protected batteries are kinda tight to the point I do not want to wedge them in.

Is there a way I could remove the current wrap and use a thinner wrap? I am open to any other suggestions to either slightly widen the body or reduce the battery width. Thank you.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
So, I just bought an old md3 body off of Illumn. I bought the old style for nothing more than nostalgia, but the protected batteries are kinda tight to the point I do not want to wedge them in.

Is there a way I could remove the current wrap and use a thinner wrap? I am open to any other suggestions to either slightly widen the body or reduce the battery width. Thank you.
Yep the older MD3 bodies were a little smaller in the ID. I used a wood dowel and some 320 sandpaper to hone it out as it was way to small for any of my 18500's

whao

Newly Enlightened
I had a few Keeppower 18500 (P1850C3) from Illumn last year. Those can be used in an unaltered Malkoff old md3 body. The diameter for those 18500 is 18.3 mm according to my measurement and from Illumn's description it is 18.5 +- 0.2 Perhaps I got lucky then.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on how tight the fit, try removing KP label?

Are you handy with shop tools?

Then, get yourself an inexpensive brake cylinder hone from auto parts. Using drill motor or die grinder, fast rpm, strokes top to bottom, with constant spray of silicone to prevent stones from loading up

I believe Malkoff uses 3m flap sanders in a drill press to get rid of reamer rings. But a wooden dowel with sand paper is always an option

md17

Newly Enlightened
I had a few Keeppower 18500 (P1850C3) from Illumn last year. Those can be used in an unaltered Malkoff old md3 body. The diameter for those 18500 is 18.3 mm according to my measurement and from Illumn's description it is 18.5 +- 0.2 Perhaps I got lucky then.
I do have both of the keeppowers and the 2000mah fit, but ideally I could use the 2300 mah in all my lights.

Johnny Ryall

Newly Enlightened
glad I saw this, I picked up a hand full of old 3 and 4 body's off eBay over the past few months and the batteries are tight as hell in most especially keeppowers, the 4 is even worse

HermodsRide

Newly Enlightened

Ah so the bodies from Illumn are old school? I wanted to buy one for the aesthetic, but didn't want to be given a new body style due to an outdated picture.

Also, a motorcycle disc brake hone works pretty good to remove some ID.

md17

Newly Enlightened
Ah so the bodies from Illumn are old school? I wanted to buy one for the aesthetic, but didn't want to be given a new body style due to an outdated picture.

Also, a motorcycle disc brake hone works pretty good to remove some ID.
Yes I emailed Illumn before buying it and it was definitely an old model. Other than some small deformations on the non anodized threads from the anodizing process, it is in great shape. I did have to lightly sand the surface where the head meets the body to remove old oxidation. Gene recommended taking a piece of sandpaper on a flat table and using rubbing alcohol (like wet sanding) to move the body over the sandpaper. It Worked very well and got rid of flickering between hi/lo mode.

I also used Teflon tape for the first time and while I wish I did not have to use it to have a very tight head on low mode, it is very tight to turn, which I prefer. The light actually came on in my pocket today while wearing fire gear at a fire and felt it burning my leg, so I may have to rethink keeping it In My pocket while working, but I am going to begin putting it on low mode before it goes into my pocket.

md17

Newly Enlightened
Hey, here's another one. Found a place that sells diffusor film cut to fit an HD super. Anyone done this? If so, how is the beam?
It makes the beam on the hound dog look great. 5 degree film…the after picture does have a more pronounced hot spot but my phone camera wasn't doing a good job capturing it

Before

IMG_5308.jpeg

After
IMG_5310.jpeg