The Malkoff Front Porch

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light actually came on in my pocket today while wearing fire gear at a fire and felt it burning my leg, so I may have to rethink keeping it In My pocket while working

That's a shocker. I can barely turn on my MD2 when I'm trying to!! [and that's only when I can hold onto the slippery thing] :-(

I looked at the MD3 body photo on their site, but being an underexposed shot of a black light on a black background, I can't tell much. What kind of tailcap / switch setup does your light have? I think that would be a near impossible occurrence with my current MD2 w/ std tailcap / switch.

md17

Newly Enlightened
I honestly don't remember if it was the standard tailcap or the tri-cap because I've been trying both of them, but I think when I was pulling my bunker pants up, my thumb hit it. It is the standard mcclicky. Is there a way to convert a Malkoff tailcap to momentary only and twist on?

340pd

Newly Enlightened
So, I just bought an old md3 body off of Illumn. I bought the old style for nothing more than nostalgia, but the protected batteries are kinda tight to the point I do not want to wedge them in.

Is there a way I could remove the current wrap and use a thinner wrap? I am open to any other suggestions to either slightly widen the body or reduce the battery width. Thank you.
Thank you for this post. I had ordered an older MD3 body from that same source and after reading your comment and those of others having the same experience, I canceled my order. Credit to Craig at Illumn as I found my order number and sent them an email at 4:00 AM as I had an airport run, and lo and behold I got an almost immediate response which was 2:00 AM CA time saying they had canceled the order and credited my account. Good people at Illumn.

md17

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for this post. I had ordered an older MD3 body from that same source and after reading your comment and those of others having the same experience, I canceled my order. Credit to Craig at Illumn as I found my order number and sent them an email at 4:00 AM as I had an airport run, and lo and behold I got an almost immediate response which was 2:00 AM CA time saying they had canceled the order and credited my account. Good people at Illumn.
Agreed about Illumn being good people. Not for nothing, the body and tailcap is a decent price, even if it's not perfect, but I like it for the fact that it's old school.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did not know these were the old style. Interesting they are still being sold at Illumn. Gene and Chris obviously got a connection going on based off their 219b drop ins. I wish he had the MD2 or MD4 knurled bodies available as well

md17

Newly Enlightened
I did not know these were the old style. Interesting they are still being sold at Illumn. Gene and Chris obviously got a connection going on based off their 219b drop ins. I wish he had the MD2 or MD4 knurled bodies available as well
Does anyone happen to know if the older style bodies that were sold as a "blem" all had a "b" carved into it? Or were some blems unmarked? Supposedly the old anodizing process would cause what looks like pitting, especially on the threads, but seems to be purely cosmetic on this one I have.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone happen to know if the older style bodies that were sold as a "blem" all had a "b" carved into it? Or were some blems unmarked? Supposedly the old anodizing process would cause what looks like pitting, especially on the threads, but seems to be purely cosmetic on this one I have.
That's a question I would either email Gene at Malkoff or Chris at Illumn to get a definite answer. It could be possible

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish he had the MD2 or MD4 knurled bodies available as well
+1
I wouldn't even care if it was a blem, as long as I could hold onto it. Heck with aesthetics - I'm talkin' function.

What I need are properly designed circumferential grooves of optimal dimensions, with proper knurling on the lands; just like my latest SL Strion, or my Elzetta Alpha.

Good aftermarket idea for some machine shop. I'd click 'add to cart' so fast it would make my head spin.

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I honestly don't remember if it was the standard tailcap or the tri-cap because I've been trying both of them, but I think when I was pulling my bunker pants up, my thumb hit it. It is the standard mcclicky. Is there a way to convert a Malkoff tailcap to momentary only and twist on?
I can see that happening. One thing I've learned about unintended activation is that no matter how certain I am that it practically can't happen with a light, I'm wrong. It can always find a way to happen if it's functionally possible.

I don't know the answer to that question, but I do know someone around here probably does know. My use environments have changed in recent times, but I did use that tailcap control scheme extensively for some years. Whlie it's not one I use primarily now, I definitely 'get it', and if it's not possible someone should make it so. There are many people for whom that remains the interface of choice, I'm sure. It's very appropriate for some applications.

rgcurrey

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to ***** about the USPS . . .

I live two hours away from Malkoff in Enterprise Alabama and for some reason my light has gone to Montgomery (ok maybe that is the main hub for that part of Alabama) to Memphis. Memphis is in Tennessee. I am in Florida. And it just seems to be sitting there. It is not that I need the light for some trip or gift or anything like that, I'm just impatient and want to go out side and compare it to my other lights.

Rant off.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast

I live two hours away from Malkoff in Enterprise Alabama and for some reason my light has gone to Montgomery (ok maybe that is the main hub for that part of Alabama) to Memphis. Memphis is in Tennessee. I am in Florida. And it just seems to be sitting there. It is not that I need the light for some trip or gift or anything like that, I'm just impatient and want to go out side and compare it to my other lights.

Rant off.
Did it by chance ship FedEx Ground (aka: SmartPost)? If something got screwed up with that, that might cause it to be sent to the FedEx hub in Memphis(?).

In any case, I noted that USPS had issues with their tracking service during the past several days because I just happened to be using it to track something during that timeframe, so that may play a role in what you saw / are seeing.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
The blems were etched with "B" under the oring groove. Blemishes in finish not the machining..

Can you take a close up photo of the pitting?

md17

Newly Enlightened
The blems were etched with "B" under the oring groove. Blemishes in finish not the machining..

Can you take a close up photo of the pitting?

There is no B on the body and it does not affect the function and I would still 100% buy this again for $55 for body and switch

IMG_5495.jpeg IMG_5496.jpeg

md17

Newly Enlightened
Only other issue I had with the body…

I bought an old style md3 body and was using a hound dog xpl head and had very erratic hi/lo operation. I didn't have any issues with 2 other types of new style bodies. I spoke to Gene and he made some suggestions that seemed to help. Taking it a step further and reading more than I ever thought was possible about o-rings, and getting suggestions from other members here, I think I found a plausible solution…

So what Gene suggested was to remove oxidation with high grit sandpaper. I used 400 grit with a layer of rubbing alcohol on a flat surface, and very carefully "wet sanded" the top contact surface until I saw a little material come off. There's no doubt it was oxidized from sitting in a warehouse for a long time. That fixed most of the issues.

He also suggested to use Deoxit Gold on the hi/low contact spring. I Purchased it on Amazon for $7. I do not know what difference this made, but it can't hurt and it was only $7.

DeoxIT® gold Mini-Brush Applicator, 100% Contact Conditioner, 1.6mL - G100L-16BX https://a.co/d/8acMX70

So, I still had thread wobble when loosened and the yellow Teflon tape made that better, but I do not want to have to replace that every several days as I can't leave things alone, so I will definitely mess with the flashlight and change the heads, Swap batteries (ocd adhd blah blah blah I've heard it all)

So, I ordered 3 types of o rings with a hardness rating of 90 versus the typical 70 which I am waiting to get in the mail.
They have the following measurements:
Inner Diameter: 15/16
Outer Diameter:1-1/8
3/32 cs. I am assuming that means circumference

But while at Home Depot I also grabbed standard off the shelf #105 o rings. No hardness rating details were provided, but they measured:

Inner diameter: 3/4 inch
Outer diameter: 1 inch
Cs:1/8

These work great and make the head almost as tight as if it was wrapped with teflon, but without being wrapped with Teflon. I think the problem with the standard size o-ring that comes from the factory is that they slide when turning the head and these new ones are much tighter, but can still be removed with a plastic pick tool

Inner Diameter: 15/16
Outer Diameter:1-1/8
3/32 cs. I am assuming that means circumference

Inner diameter: 3/4 inch
Outer diameter: 1 inch
Cs:1/8

"CS" stands for "cross-section" as in the thickness of the O-ring itself. It's usually the OD-ID divided by 2 or thereabouts.

340pd

Newly Enlightened

Rant off.
Two hours away is too close. I would have made it a road trip just to meet them (and come home with more stuff).