The Malkoff Front Porch

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just noticed the M361N is back in stock so I ordered one. I've missed them the last 2 times they've been restocked (just too slow, I guess).

This will bring my collection of Malkoff drop-ins up to the following:
M61 (in MD2 with hi/lo)
M61WLL (in G3)
M61LLL 219b v2 (in NexTorch polymer host)
M31LL 219b v2 (in VME head on E1 body)
M361N (destined for MD3 or 6P or VME/E2...haven't decided)

I think that covers all my needs/wants as far as Malkoff drop-ins goes. I might eventually get a MDC 2AA body and maybe a MDC 1xCR123 body to use with my VME heads, but that all depends on whether I keep the M31LL paired with the E1 or not.

--flatline

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
After pondering things for a bit, I have two questions:

1. Might we ever see Neutral versions of the M31?

2. Are there ever L or LL versions of the M31W?

I'm aware of the LL and LLL versions occasionally available from Illumn, but I find that I prefer the regular Malkoff N and W beams to the 219b beam.

--flatline

bigfoot

Enlightened
I know I asked Gene a couple of years ago about the possibility of an M31N (and M31NL or M31WL). Things change, but his response at the time was that there hadn't been a ton of interest.

Well, except maybe us here on CPF at least... :p

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yes I would imagine he keeps his production Products to what the general population wants. He told me that at one time he had like 20-30 different Dropins. Or something like that. I would love it if he had a custom order section. You know any lumen, tint voltage you want. He could charge a premium and we would still pay it.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that I've decided to get / make an MD2, I'm like a deer in the headlights on which drop in to get lol. A high/low switch is in for sure though.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
219C a ways more efficient but also lower CRI :(

But in a Malkoff Dropin, both would be run at the same current/ draw so they would both drain a cell in equal fashion, but the 219C would be brighter. So in a Malkoff, LED efficiency would only determine brightness not runtime, correct?

Now that I've decided to get / make an MD2, I'm like a deer in the headlights on which drop in to get lol. A high/low switch is in for sure though.

Personally I would get the N or W, maybe an L. With a H/L ring the MD2 and a standard M61N is an absolutely stellar light. I find I grab that and throw it in my travel bags whenever I'm going somewhere for more than a night. But that's the benefit of dropins, get one, kinda like it but want something else, then get that too and swap when you feel like it!

Maybe the strat is get an M61N and then an M61W L or LL to have a nice lower output warm option?

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the "N" series. Not too warm and not too cool. If you're running primaries I would stick to the "NL" for a nice blend of runtime and usability. Otherwise, I like the full powered drop ins. One thing that would be on my wishlist would be a higher low for the high/low ring (from the factory).

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
M91 with the new to us driver might be the most flexible Malkoff drop in. 3v-12v. Over 50 hours of decent output on two Energizer AA lithium primaries. 1250 lumens with two or 3 rechargeable. Maybe there will be another special runs of 4k/5k due to the new to us driver discovery.

Please see the M91 thread for details.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
M91 with the new to us driver might be the most flexible Malkoff drop in. 3v-12v. Over 50 hours of decent output on two AAs. [...]
Before any of the Junkies get too excited, please keep in mind that ~50hr runtime is with two Energizer AA lithium primaries only; the updated "B" driver doesn't operate at all from our most popular 2xAA configuration (i.e. 2xNiMH / Eneloops) - nor was it intended to. :)

thermal guy

Flashaholic
"M361N (destined for MD3 or 6P or VME/E2...haven't decided)"

Careful running that in your MD3. 6 volt max remember.I love the MD3 format and had one of my 361 in one. Running a 18650 and a spacer. Had to move it though as I was scared to death I'd make a mistake and put to many volts to her.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
"M361N (destined for MD3 or 6P or VME/E2...haven't decided)"

Careful running that in your MD3. 6 volt max remember.I love the MD3 format and had one of my 361 in one. Running a 18650 and a spacer. Had to move it though as I was scared to death I'd make a mistake and put to many volts to her.

With the exception of 2AA, I never run multiple cell setups, so I'll be using an 18650 + spacer just as you described. If someone steals my light and tries to fire it up on 3 CR123, well, then they'll get what they deserve...

--flatline

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Way off topic here but is anyone else getting pop ups on the Malkoff site? Showing what people are buying? Kinda annoying.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I see. Every time I try to get rid of the pop up it takes me to the item. Like I need more persuasion on that site!😂😂

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Lol I'm on there so much gene gets hold of me to check up on inventory😂😂😂😂

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
once I order , I try and wait for my name to Pop Up ! lol.

ok, just to ask , with the MD2, what drop in's fit as I always believe its only the M61. I see so many others, but concerned about buying.

I would like a LL / LLL drop in even for it but not sure if thats good if I could just use an M61 with HI LO Ring. wondering just which is better sometimes.

thanks.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless I'm very mistaken, any of Gene's drop ins will fit in an MD2 head.
The Throw Heads with the optics prefer the md 22.3 head as it has a larger opening, but physically all the drop ins will fit either head.
You will have to pay attention to the voltage ratings, though. Malkoff normally give these towards the bottom of the description.
You MD2 will fit 2x cr123 = 6 volts, 2 x 18350 / 16340 = 8.4 volts and 1 x 18650 / 16650 = 4.2 volts.
I imagine in the early days the 9 in M91 was for 9 volts, 6 in M61 was for 6 volts and the 3 in M31 was for 3 volts, but it's all changed a bit now.
If you use a Hi/Lo ring and lower the voltage on Low to under the minimum voltage of the drop in, it won't work. We could work that out if we knew the value of the resistor, but I don't. There's lots of discussion in the Junkie thread, I think, about the ring if you have a spare few days to look.
Hope that helps, if you already knew that stuff please ignore me.
P