The Malkoff Front Porch

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you guys weigh in on the MDC XP-L Neutral (vs) the MD2 with the M61N module?

I will be able to for-sure on Monday! I have a Neutral XP-L head on the way from them right now.

I think I can say a few things however, the XP-L will be a bit more floody than the XP-G, but also slightly higher output. Runtimes on high are probably similar, but I bet on a single 16650 you will get slightly longer taper runtime on the M61. The M61 also has larger voltage range which is a massive advantage. The MDC on primaries would significantly reduce runtimes. MDC also has PWN (though I've never noticed).....

I think there's a case for both. MDC li-ion is a slight edge given it will mostly be run on lithium ions. If you want more versatility I'd say the M61 is the way to go.

I rotate between my M361 219bv MD2 and my MDC 219bv2 regularly, slight preference for EDC on the MDC (on E2D body)

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey fellas

I am going to ask my questions in here instead of a dedicated post as it's a consideration between the entire malkoff availability against one light or so. And I know my old timers and guys I trust on here and will answer the question within a few replies. I want a slimish light with only one or two modes. Super bright and throwy even if it isn't for long. Only will run it for mere minutes. A low is even unnecessary. I was thinking of a few lights ( I haven't been on the malkoff site yet to see what's there, I'm only going off of what I previously knew) I'm only suppose to be dipping my toes back into the water but we all know that wonderland trick.

So..

It was a Surefire edcl2t because of the heads up and gas pedal switch. Can run off 16650

Then there's the 16650 mdc

Or 16650 mdc body and e2xt head

Or malkoff md2

16650 or 18650 is preferred as I have a few lights running on eneloops already so I don't want another.

I rather not have to "consider" carrying the light in any situation. A md2 may be carryable with everyday jeans but to big for a wedding. I want a all around light. And a Vme head is almost to large so I wasn't even really considering the md2 because of this. But I want a big spot so I was considering the e2xd(I think it's called sorry if not) the HOT would probably be the only m61 I'd consider.

Was although thinking of a surefire tactician/edcl2t body with e2ht(or whatever is correct now) head so I get a nice momentary tailcap

An e2 is even highly considerable on any body

Surefire x300 hot spot less spill more spot beam Is a nice explanation of what I'm looking for. Post numbers are highly welcomed as I haven't read through the forum.also love the ui of the edcl2t.

I could care less about actual numbers and more of the actual looks of the beam. Because I know Surefire numbers aren't as accurate as genes.

So guys, push me in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Jimmyboots

Enlightened
You can do a E2 Hyper throw on a 123 body and use some higher capacity vapecell 16340's.

I don't know of anything slimmer or smaller that would pack as much throw, maybe someone else can chime it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the e2xT/TD work with surefires gas pedal switch like the edcl2t or the tactician?

I know a guy..

or 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TILL-22

Newly Enlightened
I received my MDC 1AA HA with 219b emitter today. As promised, here are my first thoughts and a bonus picture! Spoiler: it's awesome.

• The tint and light quality are perfectly neutral, it's lovely. I compared it to all the other lights I have and this is the white one. All others look coloured compared to it. This is the 219b sw40 variant.
  • The 0,3 moonlight low is probably a little higher (1 lumen?), but it's a good low for general use. The 80 lumens max is much brighter than I had thought it would be. No problem making stuff out with good detail still at about 50 m. The 8 lumen mode is fine for close up stuff without being too bright.
  • The inside diameter of the battery tube is too wide in my opinion; my white Eneloop AA rattles if you knock (lightly) on the side of the light and it makes the "clack" noise when the battery hits the tube. Nothing that can't be fixed by a piece of paper though!
  • The tail switch sits very deep. I understand it prevents accidental activation, but I'd prefer not having to bend my thumb that much.
  • The pocket clip is awesome. It's pretty sturdy, but it glides over the pocket hem without any resistance at all. It didn't budge doing a handstand so that's a "pass" in my book.

I don't know what else I can say, so I guess that's all! I really like the light. It will probably make my pocket more than I thought it would - I originally bought it mostly because I wanted it to be my tough backup light in my backpack.

This picture is lit by E21A 2700K emitters which make the 4000K 219b look almost cold white:

Hk3onay.jpg

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my MDC 1AA HA with 219b emitter today.
This picture is lit by E21A 2700K emitters which make the 4000K 219b look almost cold white

that explains the beam color, thanks..

I advocate for shooting with daylight white balance, to avoid confusion like that.

congrats on your new light.. looks very nice

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
Didn't take long for a second Malkoff to be on the way. I've mostly carried zebralights over the years, and I still love my sc64c LE....but I've been carrying the bodyguard running 16340's every day since I got it and I'm starting to see why there is such a strong following here. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but Gene and Cathy have EXCELLENT customer service. I almost made a mistake with my first order and Gene caught it and called me the next day to double check before he shipped anything. It was my mistake and they were well within their rights to ship exactly what I ordered like 95% of companies would have done. The fact that he took the time to double check and not only that, but called me directly instead of sending an email meant a lot to me.

I immediately placed a second order for an MD2. I went with the M61w drop in for now. I'm a huge fan of warm tints and am excited at the idea of being able to swap out drop ins.

Jimmyboots

Enlightened
Just as an extra data point here. I picked up a Malkoff E2 scout head for cheap and put it on a spare 123 blem body.

It ran for almost to full power on a olight 16340 650mah for 45min. I had to stop the test but the battery voltage was at 3.6v at the end.

Not bad for a small 450lm light.

ledbetter

Enlightened
Wasn't orange was it?
You guessed it. My first malkoff was an orange mdc 3.7v and I always regretted not getting a matching aa and now I have one. I remember Gene had pink md2s that were seconds for like fifteen bucks and I thought who would want that? I wish I bought all he had!

I guess two eneloops would be fine but would two 1.5s or a primary be pushing it? I might email Gene, he's always helpful.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Not sure but 2XAA or a primary are still only 3 volts so they should work fine. But ya gene is the man to ask.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI. When I use a Malkoff MDC head on my Surefire E2E body I have to use a copper washer for it to work.

You might not have the same issue but i use the 19mm one from oveready.

https://www.oveready.com/flashlight/beryllium-copper-spring-washer/

Oh man, I didn't know those were a thing! I wonder if it would remove the need for a ground spring when running a malkoff in my seraph hosts or solarforce hosts? Now to find a source less than $8/pc.