The Malkoff Front Porch

timbo114

Enlightened
a more aggressive texture, elzetta bravo or surefire 6p style would do well for the brand.

Matte black ano would add much to the tactile grip of the body tube.
But then we'd have to ask for matte heads as well.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a Wildcat V6 on an MD4 running 2x18650. It's a great dog walker but I've always wished it was shorter.

I checked with Gene but it sounds like he didn't have the info on I was looking for on the specific model. So I've come to the well.

How would it work on a 21700 body with just 1 cell?

What is it regulated down to and will it run down to almost nothing or shut off?

Thanks!

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which emitter does the V6 use?
There's nothing special about a 21700. Try running it on 1x18650. A 21700 is going to do the exact same thing, just dim a bit slower on the front end.
All of these lights designed for higher voltage are also going to run for hours at very reduced brightness without a protected cell kicking out.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I've got a Wildcat V6 on an MD4 running 2x18650. It's a great dog walker but I've always wished it was shorter.

I checked with Gene but it sounds like he didn't have the info on I was looking for on the specific model. So I've come to the well.

How would it work on a 21700 body with just 1 cell?

What is it regulated down to and will it run down to almost nothing or shut off?

Thanks!
Unfortunately the V6 will not run on a single lithium ion cell.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only point of the 18650 body (or 2x) is that you can use primaries and I think in the last 10 years I did that just once. When I travelled and did not want to mess with recharges. Once.

21mm will give better runtime and fewer reloads. You can still use primaries with a special adapter but it seems to be a moot point.

CHNeal

Enlightened
Anyone else not care for the Tri-Cap?
I own two and have another on the way on a MD2/M61HOT and I am still not sure how I feel about them. I was just comparing the Tricap to the shrouded body on my bodyguard and I may actually like the shrouded better. Ive never used the standard cap on any of my MD bodies but thinking of ordering one just to try it.

Hemicrusher

Newly Enlightened
I own two and have another on the way on a MD2/M61HOT and I am still not sure how I feel about them. I was just comparing the Tricap to the shrouded body on my bodyguard and I may actually like the shrouded better. Ive never used the standard cap on any of my MD bodies but thinking of ordering one just to try it.
I've got the shrouded on my MDC HA CR123 and I like that it will help prevent accidentally turning on while in my pocket, but it's kind of hard to press with my large thumb. I do think it's still better than the unshrouded one for pocket carry..

Like you, I might order a standard cap, or another MD2 in a different config.

Last edited:

Hemicrusher

Newly Enlightened
I should be a beta tester. Because I seem to have lights go wonky on me.

Went to use my MDC HA CR123 at 4AM and the light went straight to med on first press instead of low. It now starts on med, 80% of the time, and will even start on high occasionally. Battery was at 3.021V, but for giggles, I popped in fresh Surefire, and it still acts the same.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should be a beta tester. Because I seem to have lights go wonky on me.

Went to use my MDC HA CR123 at 4AM and the light went straight to med on first press instead of low. It now starts on med, 80% of the time, and will even start on high occasionally. Battery was at 3.021V, but for giggles, I popped in fresh Surefire, and it still acts the same.
I cant stand the MDC interface, thats why I put a VME on mine. The mode change is determined by ON time (unlike OFF time, like every other maker). That means if you, at any point, turn the light on for less then 1 second (which happens quite frequently), the next time you turn it on it will switch to the next mode.

Say you use the MDC in low mode for less then a second and click it off, If you turn it on a year later it will come on in medium. So essentially it has mode memory. No idea why they did it that way I think its a nuisance. If it was traditional Surefire style OFF time switching id actually use my MDC head.

Hemicrusher

Newly Enlightened
I cant stand the MDC interface, thats why I put a VME on mine. The mode change is determined by ON time (unlike OFF time, like every other maker). That means if you, at any point, turn the light on for less then 1 second (which happens quite frequently), the next time you turn it on it will switch to the next mode.

Say you use the MDC in low mode for less then a second and click it off, If you turn it on a year later it will come on in medium. So essentially it has mode memory. No idea why they did it that way I think its a nuisance. If it was traditional Surefire style OFF time switching id actually use my MDC head.
Ahhhh....That makes sense, comparing to what Malkoff says on their site.

So, I must have had it on low under a second last time I used it and it mode switched to med. Then me testing it, I never left it on more than a sec and kept seeing this "feature"

What drop-in are you using with your VME head?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhhh....That makes sense, comparing to what Malkoff says on their site.

So, I must have had it on low under a second last time I used it and it mode switched to med. Then me testing it, I never left it on more than a sec and kept seeing this "feature"

What drop-in are you using with your VME head?

Thanks!
M61WLL for long runtime.

340pd

Newly Enlightened
Anyone else not care for the Tri-Cap?
I have two shrouded on MD2's and a tri-cap on a Hound Dog which helps give a bit of balance and makes it easier to click on/off with my thumb. The tri-cap will not fit in a holster I use so overall I will stick with the shrouded version