The Malkoff Front Porch

Hemicrusher

Newly Enlightened
Ya got one in my C2. Works great. Just twist on and off till you get the level your looking for.
Thanks!

I figured it would work like my Promethius Beta...Three quick twists to get high. I'll probably order a McClicky tailcap from Lumens Factory, or Malkoff down the road. Not sure I want to bugger up the original tailcap.

3oni

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone happen to have a side-by-side comparison shot of the MD2 and MDC HA CR123? I'm trying to assess if the MDC is "smaller enough," and it always helps to see it rather than just read the specs.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here:
Phb3wu7.jpg

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you so much! That is quite a difference.
btw, that's a MD2/M61HOT with lanyard, so a little heavier than a "normal" MD2, but it's 183g/6.45oz vs. 84g/2.96oz(with Keepower 18650 and 3V RCR123 batteries, respectively).
Regardless, along with the size difference, the MDC CR123 is about half the weight.

CHNeal

Enlightened
Hello Everyone.
I have a question for the experts out there. I am in the midst of a massive and long overdue utility / tool / speciality flashlight upgrade. I am replacing all the old outdated and in some cases chi-com lights in my home, cars and SD Carry with Malkoff lights.
The lights I have purchased have covered all my basis but my OCD needs one more light…a small ( single 18650) flood for a lighter weight pocket carry.
I already have my primary edc lights covered so I'm looking for a specific light to augment my carry when needed. I guess what I am looking for is the floody version of the M61HOT. I consider the three sizes as

MD4-Home based
MD3-bag/car based
MD2-pocket based.

For throwers I have all three sizes I need - MD4 Hound Dog, MD3 M91T, MD2 M61 HOT
For the flooders I have - MD4 Wildcat, MD3 M91B….what's the MD2 flood version of the M61HOT?

I know there are a lot of lights out there that will fill this roll but for absolutely no explainable reason I MUST do this with a Malkoff. I know just how odd this might seem but its the world I live in.

Thanks for reading.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Everyone.
I have a question for the experts out there. I am in the midst of a massive and long overdue utility / tool / speciality flashlight upgrade. I am replacing all the old outdated and in some cases chi-com lights in my home, cars and SD Carry with Malkoff lights.
The lights I have purchased have covered all my basis but my OCD needs one more light…a small ( single 18650) flood for a lighter weight pocket carry.
I already have my primary edc lights covered so I'm looking for a specific light to augment my carry when needed. I guess what I am looking for is the floody version of the M61HOT. I consider the three sizes as

MD4-Home based
MD3-bag/car based
MD2-pocket based.

For throwers I have all three sizes I need - MD4 Hound Dog, MD3 M91T, MD2 M61 HOT
For the flooders I have - MD4 Wildcat, MD3 M91B….what's the MD2 flood version of the M61HOT?

I know there are a lot of lights out there that will fill this roll but for absolutely no explainable reason I MUST do this with a Malkoff. I know just how odd this might seem but its the world I live in.

Thanks for reading.
I would look at an M91B in an MD2 body. You won't get full output on a single 18650, but I think it will be close to 600L on high.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's really not one. The old F model M60s would be a natural suggestion, but they are long since discontinued.
See my post here(and the one immediately after it), and check your inbox:

CHNeal

Enlightened
I would look at an M91B in an MD2 body. You won't get full output on a single 18650, but I think it will be close to 600L on high.
That's interesting. I wasn't aware it would run on a single cell from the description on the website. Thank you Ill mount one up and give it a go

jd101

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I have two layman's questions about the MDC that I haven't been able to figure out on my own or find answered.

First, is the runtime information that is posted on the Malkoff webpage for the medium mode (40 and 50 hours depending on the color tint, for 20 hours) based on the ANSI standard like I think the "high" mode is? Meaning that at the 20 hour mark the output will be down to 4 or 5 lumens?

Second, Gene's response to a 3/30/21 question about the 2AA model implies that for the low mode, the lumens will be greater with primary lithiums than with eneloops, and suggests that the lumen and runtime information provided are based on eneloops. However, the 1CR123 webpage has the same lumen and runtime information as the 2AA webpage. Shouldn't the 1CR123 have more lumens because the 1CR123 takes only primary lithiums?

I'm shopping and looking at either the MDC or the MD2 Hi/Low with L or LL, to replace a 2AA Maglite with Opalec LED which I stupidly broke, and also replace a HDS42, both many years old. The use case is probably to sit in my commuter briefcase/backpack for emergency use, so I think I should prioritize rock-solid dependability and medium lumen runtime over huge lumens and throw. I keep a Prometheus Beta in my pocket at all times as my actual EDC.

Thanks.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast

CHNeal

Enlightened
The M91B has an updated driver, probably about 3yrs ago, but the site was never updated. We found out entirely by accident after an M91B Group buy a while back.

There is some info starting towards the bottom of this page onto the next page.
Thank you very much for that. I can't believe I did pickup on that the first time I read it. I guess I understood that the M91T was a completely different animal then the M91B but in reading that I gather that under the optic/reflector they pretty much the same?
I admit that I am torn between the T and B as to which I like the most. The amount of light from the B in a MD3 impressed me.
So from this it seems my answer may very well be the M91B on a MD2. Outstanding! Thanks again.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Oh no the 91T and 91B are totally different. Not even close. The 91 has a real wide beam with a little throw. The 91T is basically all throw with a little spill.

CHNeal

Enlightened
Oh no the 91T and 91B are totally different. Not even close. The 91 has a real wide beam with a little throw. The 91T is basically all throw with a little spill.
No I meant under the optic / reflector the " guts" are the same as in driver etc.

CHNeal

Enlightened
Ok time for a rather NoOb question… How do I tell the difference between my M61HOT and a M91T when the heads are seperated from bodies and sitting on a table because some idiot ( yours truly) was trying different heads on the 21700 body.
Will the HOT head take the voltage from the MD3 body with 2-18500. I now know they will both run an the MD2 but afraid to mix up and put the M61HOT head on the MD3 body.
Go easy on me I'm an idiot

CHNeal

Enlightened
They're marked on the module. Pliers or malkoff tool needed to remove module from head. I mark mine on end near the spring to make id easier.
Thanks you. I will take the advice of marking them near the spring when new. I was about to order a couple H/L rings for two heads I didn't order them on so I guess Ill just add the head wrench to the order.