The Malkoff Front Porch

3oni

Newly Enlightened
As I thought it might, my MDC 16650 has supplanted both my MD2 and my Elzetta Alpha for daily carry. :)

No lights go to waste, and "worst" case those two can become truck/bag/power outage lights. But I love my MD2, and given the fact that Malkoff components play nice together I'd like to give it a better shot of seeing semi-regular use.

So I've got an MDX22.3 hi/lo head, an MD2 body, both tailcap styles for that body, two clips (Prometheus and Thyrm LPC), and two drop-ins (M61W and M61N).

My first thought is to pick up a Wildcat 18650 head. With an MD2 body and the tricap, that'll be a chunky jacket-pocket flooder. That's probably my second-most used category of light.

My second thought is to buy an MD3 body, pair it with my head and tricap, and run it on 3xCR123. That would make a nice backup light. I guess the same would be true of sizing up to a 21700 body, so that's a similar option.

Third in line is picking up a complete MD4 Wildcat or Hound Dog. That uses none of the parts I already have, but I like the larger form factor for these two styles. I don't need them to be pocketable, and the runtime would be nice.

What would you do?

3oni

Newly Enlightened
Is your goal simply to find a use for your now-spare parts, or to expand your lights' capabilities with new stuff? The M61N MD3 is a sweet combo running 18500s or even CR123s.
Probably most accurate to say that it started out as using the parts I have and morphed into "What's my most logical Malkoff next step?" But both are still goals that interest me. :)

I'd forgotten about 18500s! That looks like a ton of runtime for my M61N in an MD3 body.

thermal guy recommended them to me. It's a tradeoff because you get more regulated runtime at a higher output with two 18500s, but when they're depleted, the light shuts off almost instantaneously.

I've been going back and forth between MD2 and MD3 bodies for my M61T. With the beam being so tightly focused, I find it plenty useful at the lower ~375 lumen output produced by a single 4.2v cell. You get almost as much regulated runtime followed by a long and perfectly useful taper all the way out to almost four hours. I might end up putting an M91T on the MD3 body to take advantage of the higher voltage.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
One pic that sends @thermal guy and @PoliceScannerMan running

51930896971_2af78aa020_b.jpg

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good morning my fellow malkoffers. How y'all have a fantastic day