The Malkoff Front Porch

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
@thermal guy

Do you want still go with the M91 in this light?

1659465110975.png

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I've also did a runtime test with Surefire CR123 Primaries. I was getting a bit less output. I'd say around 200-250 lumens on high and it was still going at that steady brightness for over 3 hours, with all three modes still spaced out as they should. I stopped the timer at 3 hours, could of went much longer. I would say this is impressive and excellent at being able to run both 16340s and CR123 primaries. I have the 2-3.2v head with same LED and the li-ion head is very similar in output running CR123s.

That is impressive. I've been thinking of getting one anyways but now I'll have to.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 XT - how does its output differ from an earlier Hound Dog 18650? More throw I assume and less flood?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
It comes with defuser so you can set it up to be almost exactly like the older 18650 or you can use it without and it throws easily twice as far as the original.

Malkoffs will always be special to me. They're simple little unassuming things that wait quietly until you need them to do their job. I've never paused to ask myself if I was about to damage one of my Malkoffs. I just use them. That's a wonderful thing.

Almost daily I consider removing the high/low rings and making them all into single-mode workhorses. The low mode is nice, but lately I'm realizing something: If I need a light in a pinch, it rarely matters exactly which light I have, as long as it turns on. On the other hand, if I need a light to do a particular thing (like a low-output light for hiking or a long-running-yet-still-bright light for looking at cars all day), then hypothetically I can just pack that light that I'll be needing.

There's the voice in my head that says "well, what if you get stranded somewhere and you need light for at least 12 hours; shouldn't your M61T have a low mode for that?" But lately the voice that responds says something like "Well, you'd better use it as a flash-light, then!"

Gene will send you a wavy washer for free when you order a VME head, or Oveready will sell you one for $8
Sorry to dig up an old message... Kernel, is the wavy washer necessary for all of the Malkoff drop-ins in the VME head, or just for fancy custom dropins like your mule? Any difference in application between the MDC 16650 or 18650 bodies?

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to dig up an old message... Kernel, is the wavy washer necessary for all of the Malkoff drop-ins in the VME head, or just for fancy custom dropins like your mule? Any difference in application between the MDC 16650 or 18650 bodies?
The washer is just for a better electrical contact due to machine tolerances. it's an improvement because it forces a better contact.

My M361 only worked with the washer.

Some of my own dropins take 2 washers