The Malkoff Front Porch

turbodog

Flashaholic
@Trout River I'm in Gainesville, def gonna get something from it. Not as bad as those on the coast. I had no power 5 days after Irma. I expect some outage for Ian, hope not too long tho.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
looking for a 519A P60 custom made drop in for an MD2 build.
4500k.
thanks...
I had difficulty finding one myself, however I did find an extremely good one from SkyLumen.com. There's one caveat though as it's too long for an MD2, they are made to fit Surefire Z44 heads, so I switched heads and hosts so I could utilize a great LED

If you want to keep the MD2 I highly suggest the m61w SST20 3000k sold by Malkoff or the Illumn.com 219b 4000k drop in made my Malkoff

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff MD2, high/low ring, M61W SST20 3000k drop in
2C25C5BA-DC5C-4C4A-BAA8-6EE0AF55E0BC.jpeg
25A17BE6-1E16-49E7-98D5-B38277D6496D.jpeg

SST20 3000k left, SST20 4000k right

The SST20 3000k is beautiful

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had difficulty finding one myself, however I did find an extremely good one from SkyLumen.com. There's one caveat though as it's too long for an MD2, they are made to fit Surefire Z44 heads, so I switched heads and hosts so I could utilize a great LED

Take off the spring if one and don't use the Malkoff retainer ring and it should fit. I use the same p60 reflector sefup that Vihn uses. The retaining ring isn't needed…it's just there for convenience

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take off the spring if one and don't use the Malkoff retainer ring and it should fit. I use the same p60 reflector sefup that Vihn uses. The retaining ring isn't needed…it's just there for convenience
I also assumed malkoffs retaining ring acted as a ground path from drop in to body? Where does Vihns drop in make contact for ground on the MD2?

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also assumed malkoffs retaining ring acted as a ground path from drop in to body? Where does Vihns drop in make contact for ground on the MD2?

the bottom of the brass will contact the body

I have a P60 dropin with a dedomed 4500k 519a that works with the high-low ring in a Malkoff.
Just requires a small piece of tape on the reflector.

It messes with your eyes to see that warm in a throwy beam pattern

Last edited:

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
the bottom of the brass will contact the body

I have a P60 dropin with a dedomed 4500k 519a that works with the high-low ring in a Malkoff.
Just requires a small piece of tape on the reflector.

It messes with your eyes to see that warm in a throwy beam pattern
You mentioned the spring, what was the process of that? Did you have to cut the spring shorter?

Also does the MD head screw on tightly down to the shroud?

I have a 519a DD 4500k triple coming in

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mentioned the spring, what was the process of that? Did you have to cut the spring shorter?

Also does the MD head screw on tightly down to the shroud?

I have a 519a DD 4500k triple coming in

I'm talking about a reflector dropin. The spring on the reflector dropin can be removed if it doesn't fit. I don't remember if i have mine on or off.

The triple and quad copper shell will fit without and adjustment needed

There's a smaller copper shell and a heavier longer copper shell.
The smaller and heavier shell will fit in the MD hosts without issue.
The smaller shell will fit in a VME head

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm talking about a reflector dropin. The spring on the reflector dropin can be removed if it doesn't fit. I don't remember if i have mine on or off.

The triple and quad copper shell will fit without and adjustment needed

There's a smaller copper shell and a heavier longer copper shell.
The smaller and heavier shell will fit in the MD hosts without issue.
The smaller shell will fit in a VME head
Gotcha. I may have to see in person when my drop-in comes in and see how it fits inside the MD2

I had 4 Para 2's the tips are too delicate for my use and they got bent just cutting no prying.
I used to feel the same way. Mine got benched for a few years while I played with my Benchmade folding pry bars. I've since come to appreciate a more refined tip with a full flat grind. I cut tough zip ties and radiator hoses with my Para 2 every day!

I got my Oveready tailcaps and FS54 short spring switches today, but I neglected to order the copper retaining ring and washers. @knucklegary Where did you source the mysterious fiber washer you used to complete your build?

What do you account for night and day difference in beam quality. Did Malkoff upgrade emitter, or optics ?

I asked Gene if he had changed anything about the M61T dropin in the past year or so. He said it hasn't been changed, but that "Maybe we've gotten better at making them?" I'll get some beamshots up here soon. The only thing that would make it better for me is if the beam were 4500-5000CCT. But the apparent contrast that you get from the cool white beam is cool in its own right.

[Edit] To answer your question, I'm inclined to guess that the optics are better executed.

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to feel the same way. Mine got benched for a few years while I played with my Benchmade folding pry bars. I've since come to appreciate a more refined tip with a full flat grind. I cut tough zip ties and radiator hoses with my Para 2 every day!

I got my Oveready tailcaps and FS54 short spring switches today, but I neglected to order the copper retaining ring and washers. @knucklegary Where did you source the mysterious fiber washer you used to complete your build?
Electrical-insulating fiber washer for m8 size screw, measure; 8.4 x 17mm x 1.7mm thickness. The washers thickness varies, so you can "fit" the boot to plunger amount of free play.
My source was Ewing Plumbing & Electrical Supply, a brick an mortar store..The washers come in bags of 25.
You can also online source from McMaster-Carr (tho, larger quantity) .. I locked down washer with 7.5 x 1mm red silicone oring. O-ring fits underside ID (chamfer) of rubber boot perfect. Aids in both holding down fiber washer, and centers boot for better feel. Imo
Hope this helps.
Btw, As for retainer. OR uses soft yellow brass, nothing to write home about.. LF mfgr from copper, they're CNC milled, just don't have purdy Ooo design on top and don't say USA.

Last edited:
I see that my Oveready switches came with what appears to be a 7.5 x 1mm washer [o-ring] where you describe. Pretty cool. Thanks!

I'm a sucker for sexy machining....if the OR retainers fit, I'd likely use them as my lights aren't drawing much current anyway.

Last edited: