The Malkoff M61!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FORCETEN

Newly Enlightened
i was lucky enough to get one of those m61 inserts from malkoff. i'm sorry i didn't get one earlier! i now need 3 more for all my work lights.

wingnutLP

Enlightened
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7633229.html

BRIEF SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION

The present invention includes a drop-in LED module that can be inserted into a conventional flashlight to increase the light output of the flashlight. The module includes a heat sink, a high power LED, and an LED driver circuit. The LED is mounted on the heat sink and designed to receive its maximum rated current. The driver circuit is connected to the LED, mounted on the heat sink, and designed to supply the LED with its maximum rated current. The heat sink is designed to be inserted into the flashlight body of the flashlight so that the driver circuit receives power from batteries included in the flashlight and supplies the maximum rated current to the LED. Heat generated by the LED when it receives this current is channeled away from the LED by the heat sink into the flashlight body. The present invention also includes a conventional flashlight reflector modified so that it can be used with the module of the present invention to create a new modified flashlight with a light output that is greater than the light output of conventional flashlights.
The light output generated by the LED of the present invention is brighter than the light output generated by conventional LED flashlights because the LED is supplied with its maximum rated current. The LEDs used in conventional LED flashlights are generally not supplied with their maximum rated currents because they are not properly heatsinked, overheat, and fail. In some prior art LED flashlights, the LEDs are supplied with their maximum rated currents until they begin to overheat, at which time control circuitry in these flashlights reduces the current, and the corresponding light output, to a lower current level in order to prevent the LEDs from overheating. The module of the present invention, however, includes a heat sink that allows the LED used in the present invention to be continually driven at its maximum rated current because it dissipates the heat that would otherwise damage the LED in the flashlight body used with the invention.
It looks to me like what he has patented, unless there are other patents that I have not found, boils down to a heatsink to carry heat from the LED to the body of the light. It doesn't state the material of the heat sink anywhere.

I am not a patent lawyer and I am from the UK rather than USA but I do run a company that holds quite a few patents.

Using a heatsink to carry heat away from an electronic component is not a new idea and simply transferring that idea into a new electronic application is in my experience considered an obvious innovation.

Last edited:

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Correct me if I'm wrong here but the M60, which these new drop ins from Neoseikan seem similar to, doesn't seem to be available anymore.

Surely this is good news for us as consumers as we may get another source of this much sought after type of drop in as currently there seems to be no way to obtain a genuine M60 short of someone selling one second hand.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Neoseikan does look alot like a M60. Who cares, most every manufacturer around here copy each others stuff all the time and you all do not :mecry:, and continue to buy torches from them. The M60 is not made now, and is very hard to find one if desired to do so like another member mentioned. A while back, I tried to get Gene to make me a M60 with my own Surefire TIR optic and he did not have the time or desire to put it together for me. I dont know if I will purchase a Neo. or not, but will consider after more performance/runtime specs and beamshots come in. It will fill a niche left void by the former M60 around here IMO.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
M60's are being made under License from Elzetta and will continue to be in their flashlight. Gene is not making them anymore.

Bullzeyebill

Staff member
As I posted earlier, a new thread needs to be started re the patent issue. This is an interesting subject but is not appropriate for this thread.

Bill

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well ive had my M61 for a few months now and I just could not be happier - I was very hesitant at first because I thought that the amount of flood vs. the tighter spot on the M60 would be a deal breaker. Boy was I wrong. I've never felt that I needed more punch from the M61 and the amount of flood is just awesome.

BRING ON THE WARMS!!! :D

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
No official report, but judging by the howling, myself included, I suspect we'll see some in the future. :whistle:

Mr. Malkoff did mention M31s, which has me drooling.

The M60s will remain in production as mentioned in a posting to CPF - for people who want throwers moreso than the heavier balance of M61s.

-Trevor

funkymonkey1111

Enlightened
I can use the M61 in a surefire G3, correct?

i've had no problems with a bugout gear drop-in in a regular, incan G2 head (not the metal head).

I generally only have the light on for a few seconds at a time--has anyone had any issue with using an M61 in a non-metal G2 head?

purelite

Enlightened
Gene strongly urges you not to . But its a free country (actually its not anymore) . I think damage to the dropin could theoretically occur due to lack of good heatsinking in a plastic head. But I gotta say it doesnt seem to get all that hot in my 6P but Mr. Malkoff doesnt put the warning in there for nothing.. They must have tested it and had issue occur.

carrot

Flashaholic
The warning was for the older, less efficient XR-E LED, not for the XP-G. It is still unknown as to whether or not it is safe to run the M61 with XP-G in a plastic host.

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
I am keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed for a good run of M61 Neturals... god that would be the perfect duty light...

or better yet... an M31N!! :poke:

OH YEAH!!!... I need to go change my underpants now...

Curias

Newly Enlightened
I have a lonely M61 sitting around with no host.

I really want as much regulated runtime as possible.

Does anyone know about how much regulated runtime I would get with the MD4 with 2 18650 2600 mAh batteries?

Would it be much more than 2 cr123s?

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
I have a lonely M61 sitting around with no host.

I really want as much regulated runtime as possible.

Does anyone know about how much regulated runtime I would get with the MD4 with 2 18650 2600 mAh batteries?

Would it be much more than 2 cr123s?

I am gonna ball park that you could increase your runteme by 50-60% with the set-up that your suggesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.