The Malkoff Potential Group Buy Sounding Board

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lists Updated

In for 2 (two) M61 LLLL 5000K.

There is no 5000K GB as of yet, do you mean 4000K? 5000K SST would be 70-CRI. Not sure if Gene has those or we would have to source. Gene has the 4000Ks in stock. We can definitely do a 5000K as well but they won't be the same group buy.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lists Updated

There is no 5000K GB as of yet, do you mean 4000K? 5000K SST would be 70-CRI. Not sure if Gene has those or we would have to source. Gene has the 4000Ks in stock. We can definitely do a 5000K as well but they won't be the same group buy.
Ok - changed my vote to 1 M61 LLLL 4000K.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok - changed my vote to 1 M61 LLLL 4000K.

If we did a 5000K too, what would you like to see out of the LED? Just good output (relative to a LLLL) or would you also like good color rendering? 80CRI should be doable, not sure about what kind of LED but I imagine we will have to go back to an XP-G2, perhaps an Lh351C?

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
If we did a 5000K too, what would you like to see out of the LED? Just good output (relative to a LLLL) or would you also like good color rendering? 80CRI should be doable, not sure about what kind of LED but I imagine we will have to go back to an XP-G2, perhaps an Lh351C?

Dot I will chime in here, out of all the 3 LLLL GB's the XPG2 5000K is my least favorite, 4000K SST is very very nice.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dot I will chime in here, out of all the 3 LLLL GB's the XPG2 5000K is my least favorite, 4000K SST is very very nice.

Yeah, if I did another run I'd try to make sure they aren't flip-chip models I think. Live and learn there. Got real lucky with the Warms, which are my favorite. The SST is I think best overall though, the tighter hotspot is a nice combination with the low output. Makes it appear brighter and there's less light going off-target and seeing how this is totally a "midnight light" it all works well together.

I really like my 5K diffused. I'd be happy to run another but I think we definitely should revisit which LED we pick. The SST-20 seems like the obvious choice for 4000K (and 3000K perhaps in the future...).

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Yeah, if I did another run I'd try to make sure they aren't flip-chip models I think. Live and learn there. Got real lucky with the Warms, which are my favorite. The SST is I think best overall though, the tighter hotspot is a nice combination with the low output. Makes it appear brighter and there's less light going off-target and seeing how this is totally a "midnight light" it all works well together.

I really like my 5K diffused. I'd be happy to run another but I think we definitely should revisit which LED we pick. The SST-20 seems like the obvious choice for 4000K (and 3000K perhaps in the future...).

The warm 3000K is great, I have it behind a frosted UCL. Love it, but the 4000K slightly takes the cake for reasons you just stated. Samsung 5000K would be interesting. My XPG2 5000K is in my truck's SF 9P. For emergencies a nice long runtime, also have a traffic wand for it. :D

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anything - I'm not particular.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this still going on?
I'm interested in 2 x M61 LLLL (4L) SST-20 4000K HCRI

Hello PaperKnife! Currently this is just the 'interest list', the group buy has yet to be officially created. I tend to start pulling them together officially after 12 or so spots have been filled, at which point all names will transfer onto the list upon Group-Buy creation (which may be opted out of freely until Phase 2).

I would reckon that this starts getting official near Thanksgiving as the days quickly become shorter. No promises!

I'll add you to the list.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lists updated!

A direct-drive M91B with a max input of 4.2V. Make it 5000k while we're at it.

Wouldn't be an M91 then would it? I like the recipe though, a 5000K direct drive M61 dropin. I guess M61 would be the closest, but it's not even really that. Would be a sort of M-DD as it would be an E2XTD but in an M61-style reflector....

Would this get too hot though? I wonder where the limits are thermally. Guess I've got a few questions for Gene.....

I've also been toying with the idea of a lower output M91b. M91b voltage range but somewhere around 4-600 lumens? I'm thinking this would only take 700mA about to achieve. M91B L anyone?

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking over my LLLL assembly now and honestly...... I need a few more myself. I didn't get enough, and I have 6.... it quickly took the place in so many of my P-60 lights. I don't see myself changing any of them either.... shoulda gotten more of the SSTs!

The LLLLs work out to similar or greater efficiency than those listed by Zebralight in equivalent setups.

Latest posts