• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired The Nautilus Flashlight - Hardcoat Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Folks,

I've been considering making a flood version of the Nautilus and was wondering if there would be any interest in such a beast? All specifications would remain the same, in terms of size, runtime, etc. But the beam produced would be a full flood instead of the standard hotspot/corona beam with the standard Nautilus.

Let me know what you all think. :)

-Enrique

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Howdy Folks,

I've been considering making a flood version of the Nautilus and was wondering if there would be any interest in such a beast? All specifications would remain the same, in terms of size, runtime, etc. But the beam produced would be a full flood instead of the standard hotspot/corona beam with the standard Nautilus.

-Enrique

Rather than a flood version of the Nautilus, how about a throw (Nautilus-like) version of the Ion?

Lumenz

Enlightened
I'd like to see the Nautilus also in a different battery type like a AAA since AAA batteries are easy to come by. But a CR2 would be a good choice for size.

The CR123A version is a great EDC light but I would love to have one sitting on my keychain too.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I would be in for a 1 cell flooder, I would live with whatever batery type I could get it in. It would also be great to order from a regular website with a credit card.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
TIN: You never know what the future holds in terms of new offerings. If/when a new light is made and ready I'll announce it gthen for everyone to enjoy rather than bore you all with any development cycle or disappoint anyone if it takes longer than expected (we've all experienced some of the long wait times of projects here on the forums). Point being, my lips remain sealed as to what's to come until the time when the future becomes the present. :)

KingSmono: The savings of a few millimeters in length of a CR2 battery versus a CR123 doesn't adequately negate the cost of a battery pack made to run off that cell, and the decrease in runtime just to shorten the light about 7.5mm isn't worth it; The ratio of cost vs. performance just isn't well balanced in this case.

I do appreciate the input, folks, but I'm not interested in creating different battery packs; it simply costs too much to be economical for anyone and there are better ways to go about taking advantage of different battery sizes. Right now I'm just wondering if anyone is interested in a flood version of the light, not a change from the core design of the Nautilus.

Sgt. LED: Brightguy.com offers the Nautilus if you don't want to use PayPal, and they accept several methods of payment. I am not capable of processing credit cards directly and don't plan to in the foreseeable future; the logistics and cost of dealing with payment gateways and maintaining a website isn't something I'm interested in dealing with at present.

Take care folks!

-Enrique

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Nautilus is working it's way into my pocket more and more and my other lights are sitting at home more and more when I need to have something small and inconspicuous.

I want to get a black one now as I think that it would look super special with the brass... but I need to lay low for a bit because of extreme Christmas gift expenditures and eh hem... flashlight expenditures too.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I'd expect that if someone really wanted a flood version of the Nautilus, they could just remove the reflector. From what I recall, the bezel cap comes off like the FireFly. Removing the reflector and installing a thicker o-ring would probably come pretty close to yet another new light.

CodeOfLight

Newly Enlightened
I would be interested in a full flood version. Just get that LED fairly close to the UCL and that would just about do it. Use a white reflector instead of silver.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be very interested in a full-flood version, and not just putting the emitter close to the lens but a reflector optimized to produce a 100% even beam. What I liked about the original Ion was that it was a narrower beam than just the bare emitter, but within that it was pretty even.

If this could be truly 100% even with no discernible slight hotspot (which even the original Ion had), I'd be in for sure.

It's funny because I considered asking about whether Enrique was ever going to go that route again, since that was the characteristic of his first light. Was that your design goal for the original Ion, Endeavor, or was it something you stumbled upon?

da.gee

Enlightened
My Nautilus is working it's way into my pocket more and more and my other lights are sitting at home more and more when I need to have something small and inconspicuous.

I want to get a black one now as I think that it would look super special with the brass... but I need to lay low for a bit because of extreme Christmas gift expenditures and eh hem... flashlight expenditures too.

Ditto. It is just too easy to carry around and I don't feel I'm missing that much over a slightly bigger, more powerful alternative. Day to day it is just great. What I originally thought might be my supplemental EDC is fast becoming my EDC.

Goatee: the black/brass look is as good in person as it looks in the pics. That is what originally attracted me to the light plus the specs. I didn't know Enrique had any other products or history and I took the plunge. So glad I did.

FlashlightFun

Newly Enlightened
Howdy Folks,

-Enrique

A "full flood" version of the Aluminum Nautilus (hopefully, with a beautiful, homogenous, white beam) sounds very interesting.

Unfortunately, I don't check the "CPF's Custom & Mod B/S/T" forum very often... so I hope someone will post a notice in the "LED Flashlights" forum if this flashlight becomes a reality.

fleegs

Enlightened
Full flood sound interesting. I hope you would design the light with either a brighter low or a lower high (for runtime reasons). I found flood can use more light without getting as much glare back. I second using a reflector, especially since the Aleph Mule is looming around.

Would you be designing the light for total darkness or some ambient lighting conditions?

Very interested in aluminum version depending on final design.

rob

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
CodeOfLight: I'm not making a Mule. ;) I like a more directional flood like what's in the CR2 Ion, a wall of light that projects a reasonable distance forward, but is smooth and even. I'll be working with tuning a reflector to produce such a beam.

mcmc: The point of the Ion was to provide a small, pocketable flood light that was always with you, and produced the kind of beam useful in most situations where you find yourself needing the kind of flashlight that's always on your person. If I had not intended to make the CR2 Ion that way, I wouldn't have. :nana:

da.gee: I've been around the block a few times despite not being a prolific poster, been making and working with flashlights here for several years now. I'm glad you have enjoyed your Nautilus. :)

fleegs: I wouldn't say total darkness to be necessary, but as to ambient lighting, it depends on what your definition of ambient is, I suppose; it's hard to give a definite answer on something so subjective. The design goal in anything I make is for the light to be generally useful for its intended application, and so far with both the Nautilus and my previous Ion I've been pretty happy with their performance in their respective applications; A flood version of the Nautilus will be no different in this regard. :)

Take care folks!

-Enrique

shroomy

Newly Enlightened
sorry, this is a stupid question but i've been having trouble finding an answer.
Is the nautilus regulated?

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quote from Endeavour in original Ti Nautilus thread............

"Runtime is two hours and forty-five minutes on high mode before the light starts going out of regulation, and it'll run for several hours after that in a dimmer mode. Low mode will run for several days - likely for around 85 hours. On high mode the light does not get particularly hot since the power consumption is low."

Same driver is in Hardcoat version and I believe is 350ma..........amazing, useful brightness for 350ma IMO.

jeffb

Status
Not open for further replies.