The new ipad wtf?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I think oled displays are a bit overrated. Apple makes excellent ips lcd displays. They're better than a lot of oleds out there. Ya, oled has better contrast ratios, but there's more to a display than that
Looking at their LCD screens by themselves, yes they are quite respectable. However my personal phone is an LCD and my work phone is an OLED, so I see the side-by-side comparison daily and that's when the difference in color fidelity jumps out.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at their LCD screens by themselves, yes they are quite respectable. However my personal phone is an LCD and my work phone is an OLED, so I see the side-by-side comparison daily and that's when the difference in color fidelity jumps out.
Are they both iPhones though? Mine is an OLED. My son has an SE so it's still an LCD screen. Besides the size, I have a hard time telling them apart. And I have a 5K iMac. I still say this one of the best screens ever made. And it's an LCD. Don't get me wrong. Oled are amazing. But when comparing against a really good LCD screen, the benefits are getting pretty small.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Are they both iPhones though? Mine is an OLED. My son has an SE so it's still an LCD screen. Besides the size, I have a hard time telling them apart. And I have a 5K iMac. I still say this one of the best screens ever made. And it's an LCD. Don't get me wrong. Oled are amazing. But when comparing against a really good LCD screen, the benefits are getting pretty small.
Yes, both of my phones are iPhones and are the same screen size.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently decided to purchase an iPad, and I ended up getting the 9th generation for $250 with only 64 GB of storage. It was still brand new but last year's model. I think that's probably the best way to go if you want to save money. The only problem is that I am using it quite a bit after all (thought I'd only use it mainly for one reason - grading student work by writing on PDFs), and I wonder if I'll eventually find it to be under-powered. Oh well, I can let the kids use it one day then. I also bought a random no-name type "pencil" accessory on Amazon for it for less than $20, and it's worked perfectly well for writing on documents, so that is nice too.

I recently decided to purchase an iPad, and I ended up getting the 9th generation for $250 with only 64 GB of storage. It was still brand new but last year's model. I think that's probably the best way to go if you want to save money. The only problem is that I am using it quite a bit after all (thought I'd only use it mainly for one reason - grading student work by writing on PDFs), and I wonder if I'll eventually find it to be under-powered. Oh well, I can let the kids use it one day then. I also bought a random no-name type "pencil" accessory on Amazon for it for less than $20, and it's worked perfectly well for writing on documents, so that is nice too.
Purchasing preowned from Apple is also a great way to save 10 to 15% off.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may have storage issues, but it will not become underpowered

cyberhobo

Enlightened
iPads are not built as robust as they used to be. The screens have become flimsier and more prone to breakage. Took Apple forever to finally adopt USB-C and only because Europe demanded it.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
iPads are not built as robust as they used to be. The screens have become flimsier and more prone to breakage. Took Apple forever to finally adopt USB-C and only because Europe demanded it
I'll miss lightning. Sure it was proprietary, but at least if you got a lightning cable, you knew what you were getting. USB-C standards are ducked. And lightning is the superior connector. Like the physical connector. It locks into place. And if there's a problem, the connector generally breaks instead of the socket

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I learned that using "books" to read PDF's is the way to go. My 9th gen has a 250+mb set of PDF plans that it reads just fine. I don't use it for games and videos. It's more of a 10" screen road building/car repair library.

For charging the pencil I use a 1' long lightning male to lightning female cord and keep the Apple pencil in the holder while it charges. That cable is impossible to find now so adapters are needed. A 1' male lightning to female USB A and a USB A male to lightning male adapter can be found at Amazon. Using the lightning female to lightning female adapter that comes with the pencil completes the cord. My wife had an off brand pencil on her iPad 8 that was trouble prone so I bought the Apple version for my 9.

If you have mirror effect issues Blah an iCarez matte screen cover is cheap and easy to apply. It's a dull Japanese film that covers the screen so it blurs the screen slightly. I cranked up the brightness about 25% and made icons bold to solve the issue. I use mine outdoors mostly so at times the shiney screen was like looking at a mirror.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i made this post a long time ago since then i went with the ipad air. just needed more ram then 3 gb plus love the m1 cpu. and a course i got a great deal lol. but that day sucked first day ever at a apple store and i was soaked it rained the entire trip on my motorcycle lol. but they was cool folks gave me a school discount and another discount . i told them im to old to be a student

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
i made this post a long time ago since then i went with the ipad air. just needed more ram then 3 gb plus love the m1 cpu. and a course i got a great deal lol. but that day sucked first day ever at a apple store and i was soaked it rained the entire trip on my motorcycle lol. but they was cool folks gave me a school discount and another discount . i told them im to old to be a student
The M1 CPU is so hilariously overpowered for the iPad. I love it.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol its crazy years ago a pc i built i was so prould of but it needed such a huge cpu heatsink and still ran hot. and this ipad has more processing power lol

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may have storage issues, but it will not become underpowered
Yeah, the CPU should be good enough for most things, but I am seeing the RAM limitations already with all the reloading of things when I switch between them.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sadly, that's not the case nowadays. Gone are the days when a person would apply for a job in person, get hired, work, learn/apprentice at said job, have a needed in-demand skilled job for literally a handful of decades, retire with a good pension having done that job all their life. Along the way, easily being able to afford a house and a wife (one who didn't take off at the drop of a hat because back then they were raised with real morals). And even afford a couple of luxury items, good vacations. A good standard of living.

Nowadays, go to any Trade School, any college that actually teaches real world needed skills.... You will see guys in there who are nearly 50 years old, doing what they can to educate themselves in order to switch to a new career that actually pays a decent salary. So yeah.... No such thing today as being too old to qualify for a "Student" discount my friend.

My old Galaxy S3 phones still work fine. I think I bought them in 2012.

I just bought a few new in box Galaxy S20s for $170 each. I can buy any phone I want. I Iike the S20.