The new Malkoff M61SHO

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Just annoying really, once you see it you can't unsee it. We're getting to the point where we really shouldn't be compromising a terrible tint or beam pattern for a little throw. Led tech has come to far at this point.

FIFY ;-)

I'm not a white wall hunter. I judge a light by its performance in actual use. The M91T has a horrible beam pattern too, but in use its performance is excellent.

Unless there's snow on the ground, I don't notice the yellow around the corona of the M91B, and don't notice it with the M61SHO either. But without looking for them, the "rings" of the M61SHO are simply too pronounced for me to not notice them.

I can't un-see this now;

m61sho-target.jpg

340pd

Newly Enlightened
FIFY ;-)

I'm not a white wall hunter. I judge a light by its performance in actual use. The M91T has a horrible beam pattern too, but in use its performance is excellent.

Unless there's snow on the ground, I don't notice the yellow around the corona of the M91B, and don't notice it with the M61SHO either. But without looking for them, the "rings" of the M61SHO are simply too pronounced for me to not notice them.

I can't un-see this now;

View attachment 48172

It may be my eyes but I tried different distances against a white backdrop and I can't find a perceptible 'ring' out of my SHO with 16.5 bezel. I do have the yellowish tint until I move back past five feet or so and then everything is bright with a hotspot. In my eariler posts, I was not getting up close and personal so my ability to see what you all were saying fell on deaf ears.

Thank you all for educating me on the finer points but I have come to the conclusion this is perfect for my uses.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
It may be my eyes but I tried different distances against a white backdrop and I can't find a perceptible 'ring' out of my SHO with 16.5 bezel.

There are always sample-to-sample variations and it could very well be mine is unique in this regard. Regardless of my nitpicking, it's a nice addition to the M61 series of modules and I'm certainly not sending mine back.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I stuck my new M61 in my mag running 2X21700's and put my M91T back in a MD4. I missed it being in the MD4 and the M61SHO is plenty for the mag.

QMT93

Enlightened
I stuck my new M61 in my mag running 2X21700's and put my M91T back in a MD4. I missed it being in the MD4 and the M61SHO is plenty for the mag.
What is the mag you're referring to that could mate with the M91T? Would it mate with a Hound Dog Super head?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
What is the mag you're referring to that could mate with the M91T? Would it mate with a Hound Dog Super head?
gene makes an adapter for mag lights that will fit any of his Dropins. The hound dog, no.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I'm a proud die hard tint snob, and I must ask ....
Does anyone see a green tint in their 5700 SHOs?
I snagged 2 of them, and I swear I'm seeing a greenish cast in the halo nearest the hot spot, coming forth from both.
I then compared them to my Cu Convoy 5700k 519 .. boy THAT was a mistake !
Such an unfair comparison next to a Nichia.

Mine has a bit of green, more noticeably on low with a hi/low ring. Not too bad with a minus green filter in it.

I've been using the m61sho in a c2, z2 and c3 since receiving it. It's been long awaited to have a malkoff option for 6p style lights that has a really good "tactical" level of brightness on a li-ion or two cr123's, with decent runtime. It's excellent of course with 7.2v or 9v, but I still prefer to use the m91b/n in the md3 and c3 size lights. Cool white low cri is not my preference, but the SHO has so much to offer that I can live with it.

When it comes to using a 3.7v battery I prefer the output of the m61 SHO to the m61t.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Wish Gene made the adapters to work in C cell Maglites
Wait, what? They don't fit a C cell?
Dratz.
Time to storm the castle.....

When he did those N4L's for us I know the SST was a thrower. It made that 25-ish lumens look more like 50 or 75. Old school thrower with a bright spill. So yeah I can imagine the SHO has way more throw.

340pd

Newly Enlightened
I never knew my flashlight beams had issue until joining CPF. After that; awe man too much green, ew it has rings, oh no a donut hole, yikes filament shadow and so on.

Love ya brother. I buy higher end lights, turn them on, they make things bright, and tend not to malfunction.
I understand and respect the connoisseurs but it is all far over my simple needs.

Latest posts