The new OSTS Nightmaster (in white, green, red, and soon infrared versions)

langham

Enlightened
Saab can you significantly reengineer one for me so it can run at 4.5 amps in red and throw a wavien collar on it? Seriously. That's what we want and we would be happy to pay for it! More red throw please, don't worry about the deft-x's you'll sell more of these lol
I doubt you can run an XP-E2 color at 4.5A I was able to run one with a 4*7135 driver without killing it, but that really does seem like it was the limit. Besides have you ever seen what a supped up red thrower looks like?

It is much different than a white light because of the contrast they seem much brighter than they actually are and you shouldn't use one at too far of a distance anyway just due to tricks that it plays on your eyes. Much more than 200yds and it becomes dangerous, because it is hard to distinguish between objects without your normal method of color coordination.

Dave1988

Newly Enlightened
I doubt you can run an XP-E2 color at 4.5A I was able to run one with a 4*7135 driver without killing it, but that really does seem like it was the limit. Besides have you ever seen what a supped up red thrower looks like?

It is much different than a white light because of the contrast they seem much brighter than they actually are and you shouldn't use one at too far of a distance anyway just due to tricks that it plays on your eyes. Much more than 200yds and it becomes dangerous, because it is hard to distinguish between objects without your normal method of color coordination.

I saw that he didn't list how he got his performance on this light, but that may be due to the fact that he is often imitated, but never duplicated. Well not on the DEFT series anyway. I have only built one aspherical thrower and I used a SmallSun ZY-C10-S host simply replaced the led with a direct copper mounted XP-E2 with IC diamond thermal compound and drove it with a 8*7135 3.04A driver, (dedomed). This produced a laser basically that wasn't useful within 300yds or so.

I am not kidding that is how small the spot was. At 1000yds it was only around 20ft or so wide and yes it would get all the way out there. Like people have said these lights are not for everyone, and I am personally in the boat with the guy talking about the rabbit I would rather have a reflector based light, but I was able to sell that light to the absolute first person I showed it to in order to put it on his AR-15.

That host has a zoom to throw option as well so it was relatively useful although it got hot quick. If you are looking for a thrower with spill buy the FandyFire, or the TN-31MB. I would imagine that in these lights Saandblaster (bringing it back) used his normal methods and if he says it is bright then it is bright. At 204Kcd that is no slouch.

aw nah Langham thanks for the replies all I was essentially asking was whether other people have been running their osts nightmasters on 2x18650s? Sorry if I didn't explain it properly. I just received mine from Saabluster put two 18650s in it and it died within a split second. I'm sure it was just a freak thing but I thought I'd just ask in case it has been found that they can't actually handle 2x18650s and Saab isn't aware or something.
I totally agree about Michaels quality of work though he doesn't muck around! Just got my deft-x and it's on another level

langham

Enlightened
There are 2 different driver options that come with a Nightmaster and one doesn't allow the use of 2*18650 maybe that is the driver that you got.

Obsessed

Newly Enlightened
Just got my OSTS Nightmaster (white) today. Mine was measured at 240kcd, so I'm pretty happy with that! Waiting for the sun to go down completely...:devil:

langham

Enlightened
How small is the hotspot? Is it as small as I think it is? My Smallsun was only 25 ft wide at 2500ft. Does that sound right?

Obsessed

Newly Enlightened
How small is the hotspot? Is it as small as I think it is? My Smallsun was only 25 ft wide at 2500ft. Does that sound right?

By my quick and crude measurements, The beam appears to diverge at a rate of about 0.27"/ft, so that would be a little over 50 feet of hotspot at 2500 feet.

T_M

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone noticed a high pitched noise with the OSTS Night Master RED?

I borrowed a friends torch the other day to see whether it'd be worth getting and I couldn't help but notice a high pitched noise.

The noise stopped after swapping the 18650 battery, so perhaps it was just a dodgy battery.