THE OFFICAL 2005 SHOT SHOW DAILY REPORT

Greta

Flashaholic
Good morning everyone... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif ... Didn't get to bed 'til after 2:00 this morning. The air in our room is so freakin' dry, I had to go on an early morning hunt for eyedrops and saline spray. Good Lord... I'm used to this kind of weather as I live in it... but this is ridiculous!!! I'm dieing... I need to get outside and get some of that wet air in my sinuses.

The ethernet connection in my room doesn't work... so I'm sitting in the lobby of the hotel using the wireless connection... "Signal Strength: Very Low"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I'm going to go find Darell and see if he knows how to get this working in my room.

Can you guys tell that I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning?
teeth.gif

I'll check in again later... need to find moist air and coffee...
spider.gif

K-T

*Moderator*
I've heard it rains in Vegas - should help the dry air. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

I wish you folks a nice show. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
SHOT SHOW Mini-Report-

I am typing this from the relative safety and supreme comfort of my home in Los Angeles. I made a marathon run at 3AM Friday morning in my pickup and arrived at the Las Vegas Convention center and managed to get one of the last parking spots. I hit the show doors at 9AM right at opening.

I walked the show at a brisk pace for 8/12 hours and saw probably 60%-70% of what there was on display there. This was the first time to SHOT for me. Although a trade show veteran, I was impressed by the sizes of the booths and the amount of sporting good industry presence there was. For a big show, the ambient noise levels were very managable. The attendees were very civil and well mannered-with most people more apt to say excuse me if they cut you off than not. Refreshing indeed after just attending NAMM-the music industry convention last week where it is noisy and every-man-for-themselves!

I think I managed to see MOST of the flashlight exhibitors. I did not find HDS (sorry Henry-but hey I love my SN#15 EDC Basic 60). Most of the flashlights being displayed and marketed were lights that the average CPF'er would have already purchased and modded to make them usable.

I only saw two lights that were sorta cool and new to me: 1) The Night Ops. One unintentional feature that the light has it that it is possible to accidentally lock-out the tail switch with the beam on. I was told by the salesperson that you are NOT supposed to do that! I did! If you put it away in this mode thinking you had safely locked it out-then don't expect to have it producing lumens later on. Otherwise-a fairly nifty light. The Low setting was noticiably brighter than the HDS Basic 60 set at the lowest setting-FYI. The Night Op low setting may have been flickering just faintly. The one cool feature of the night Ops is that is available in Desert Tan. Now I like that!

2) Photon had some cool new stuff: The Photon Proton is a small light that has both white and red LEDS (one white-two red)and you can adjust of the intensity of both colors. Should sell for $70.00 retail. I think it was a very nice little pocket-sized light & running on a single AA too! I'll probably get one. Photon has a new clip. The same one that came out with the Freedom with the articulating swivel neck-Only this one has three little dot magnets on the base. It was powerful enough to pick-up a stapler with! And Also new was a Lanyard clasp that fits all the Photons. It turns the Photon into a slimline neck lanyard light. I got one of each of the new holders. Cool stuff.

The New Innova lights were Johnny come latleys IMHO. They all had that funky teardrop optic. Only one of the 1/2 dozen that were out for handling had a decent beam. All the rest suffered the usual crappy optics positioning/focus artifacts of a LED shown through a plastic blob..(I am not generally an optics fan in flashlights).

It seemed like a lot of companies were touting Luxeon technology. You know-all the names like Gerber, Remington-all the top names in sporting goods. They all had lights and these were touted as "NEW" and usually loaded with a 1 watt luxeon. Yawn.

I stopped by the Longbow booth. All but one of the display models had that horrid optics funk going on. I explained that there were $8.00 kits available to swap the optics to a reflector/lens and that this mod made a big difference. The guy there seemed confused by that and he was not a LB guru-just a booth guy helping out.

Since I like knives and guns I also got my fill of both of those toy types. The new SOG TOPO knife is sort of cool. The New CRT knives are worth a look.New Letherman's are cool. Too many good looking high-end knives to name. Good thing they were not selling them to show goers, as I was drooling on a lot of knives. Saw Jarret demo the fast concealed draw. He is FAST! One(1) second Timed from totally concealed carry to having a muzzel in your face. Is he fastest draw ever? Probably.

If you are reading this from SHOT and you like Beef/Turkey/Buffalo jerky type snacks-then by all means visit the "Jack Links" booth (the other big hall not the SureFire Hall). If you surrender $20.00 cash-they fill a huge bag nearly the size of a paper shopping bag with samples of all their goodies (about $70.00 worth). And they are tasty. Don't miss it!

Lastly-I saw Darell, Brock, Al and PK at the Surefire booth. No one was wearing pink! Surefire had a great booth and had lots of cool and probably new lights. I have never ever seen a poor SureFire product. I have an L5, so seeing all the others similar to it didn't really make me drool too much. I did not see a U2 there. Probably missed it! Sure I would like to own a SF Hi-Powered HID or Incan, but practicality has me only using LEDs these days..

My room at the BW in North Vegas was a farce. It was very uncomfortable for a number of reasons and I elected to bail early and head home a day ahead of schedule. I missed the Show on Sat (saw a lot of it on Friday though) and missed-out on Jeff's Shoot-out Friday eve(if it went down in the freezing rain). Big-Time-missed the Party coming up tonight at PK's place. Oh Well, I'll get together with the CPF crew another time I hope. I spoke briefly to McGizmo via Cell Phone from Barstow pit stop on my way home. He was getting ready to get on over to the show. Thats' about it!

Rich

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pictures please!
The DFW cpf meet was held in secrecy last Sept. due to a lack of digital cameras there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Brock said:
here is proof, Darell on the phone with tech support.
darellroom.jpg

all is well

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif NOT TECH SUPPORT!!

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
I-15-Sunrise.jpg

This image was snapped while driving just outside of Las Vegas on Interstate 15 as I made my way back towards Los Angeles this morning. The "lake" is actually a "Dry Lake" which has filled with rainwater.

Rich

03lab

Enlightened
Thanks for the report Rich! Wish I could be there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Wow wow wow wow wow everyone was greatand the Show has a lot of stuff although I like Atomic 6 did not see anything really new. The party was a blast, everyone played nice, goody bags forall consisting of SF (Royal Robbins 5.11) embroidered polos, SF caps, PK-sig caps, and - get this - a custom imprinted SureFire flashlight saying, "SS 2005". Woo hoo!

To top it all off there were half-hourly drawings and various SF lights and SF parts were given away such as L1's, LU60 conversion heads, and even a U2!

Although it is late (1:30 a.m. or so) and I cannot begin to recount all the names, suffice to say it was a pleasure to put even more people to names than ever.

That's it, turning in now, I'll let some of the other attendees flesh out the rest of the happenings.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Ohhhhh rub it in...now I'm really feeling left out!

Thanks for the update Charlie! Though it's not like being there, we are "thirsty" for info and appreciate our "brothers & sister" that are taking time to update us "back at the Fort"!!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Wow wow wow wow wow everyone was greatand the Show has a lot of stuff although I like Atomic 6 did not see anything really new. The party was a blast, everyone played nice, goody bags forall consisting of SF (Royal Robbins 5.11) embroidered polos, SF caps, PK-sig caps, and - get this - a custom imprinted SureFire flashlight saying, "SS 2005". Woo hoo!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif(with envy)

SF light....which model?

I really wish I could have coughed up the money to go. Perhaps next year... or the year after... or..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

K-T

*Moderator*
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ... go rub it all in ... as if it doesn't burn already /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
No "special attention" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif for those who hold the fort? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
B@rt, maybe we should start our own thread for "The Official Left Out Of 2005 Shot Show Crew" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

PJ

Enlightened
All those lights and I didn't get blinded but once. They had a Beast that was fired up when the party started. It ran for 3 hours before it died out. There was a prototype 10 watt luxeon running on rechargeables. It was black with stainless bands around it. Later on in the evening xpitxbullx showed up with a fivemega fat D running 18 AA rechargeables in a 9 x 2 config. with an 1185 bulb. I got blinded by looking at the beam reflecting off the ceiling. I got in too late for the Friday Superlight show and skipped out before the end of the party Saturday. Some of the people were talking about going up to the 4th level parking deck and having another show, I don't know if it happened.

Thanks to Jeff, PK , Kadra and everyone else at Surefire.
It was great to meet a bunch of other CPFers and check out many of the lights I had been reading about. I missed out on the CPF G2. I guess the U2 will have to tide me over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif